It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Election , Oh How We Laughed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
First off I'd like to thank Theresa May for calling the election and becoming the second Tory leader in succession to shoot themselves in the foot , brilliant !

Chances are May will be gone before the end of the year and the Tories will move on to engage in a fractious and ill tempered leadership battle as they used to back in the good old days , Tory baiting is second only to fox hunting in the top ten favourite Tory sports.

Oh I hear you say , Mr's May said she would stay so she's not going away (poet and didn't even know it) , but life isn't that simple when dealing with politicians and I can guarantee that at this very moment plots are being hatched and contenders are maneuvering to gain support in the face of her disastrous election campaign and embarrassing electoral performance ... should have gone to the debate Tess.

UKIP are dead unless old Nige makes another comeback which will move them from being just irrelevant to being irrelevant but amusing , Nick Glegg lost his seat and in doing so provided this elections Portillo moment and to top it off Indyreff 2 is dead in the water with a wounded sturgeon bobbing up and down beside it.

Once again thank you Mr's May , what a perfect way to start my holiday

edit on 9-6-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Happy for you, brother gortex! Don't let nobody abuse Brexit, though, ok?

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

It's days like this that actually make politics fun mate, it's like all my Christmases have come at once.

(post by xstealth removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think EUro#ers are indeed laughing too much ... What if the anti-brexit stunt doesn't work anyway.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

Take your racism elsewhere it has nothing to to with the subject.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Take your racism elsewhere it has nothing to to with the subject.

islam isn't a race.

[Snipped]

However, it has everything to do with the subject of the election. The labour party will not stop the muslim migration and within a decade you'll live in a complete and total police state. Congratulations.

edit on 6.9.2017 by Kandinsky because: Removed personal insult

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

within a decade you'll live in a complete and total police state.

Kettle calling the pot black.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

What does that have to do with reality?

So let me get this straight, you're willing to have an unlimited amount of muslim refugees come in just as long as you have a large enough police force on the street to protect you?

Isn't there already 25000 military on the streets? At least there was, that's a complete disaster and a police state.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: xstealth

What does that have to do with reality?

So let me get this straight, you're willing to have an unlimited amount of muslim refugees come in just as long as you have a large enough police force on the street to protect you?

Isn't there already 25000 military on the streets? At least there was, that's a complete disaster and a police state.

It seems like a lot of delight after a loss.. very strange.. maybe it's because the chances of more terrorist attacks have risen with the prospect of a hard BREXIT being tougher to negotiate. I know there is a lot of delight to be gained by some from virtue signalling after innocent people have been killed by radical islamic terrorists.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

dont speak too soon, anything could happen with them in working together to hold the majority government - Both hardfaced women, scary more is whatever they natter about over a prosecco or gin and tonic, scary.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Please explain UK politics to me, because I'm struggling with how this is working as an American.
1. Your system allows your PM to call for unscheduled elections at their whim?
2. May's party ended up with 318 seats against 261 held by the opposition... in the US Congress this would be a massive advantage for the 318 side. What is it in the UK system that makes this a bad thing for May's party?
3. If May's party already held the majority, why in the blue hell did the dummy call for a special election in the first place?
4. All the talk in the US media of her stepping down from PM to be replaced by her rival is confusing. Do UK voters vote for the PM, or is the PM selected in some other fashion?

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I think the UK likely made a big mistake, but its your country, your decision. I can't say I'm at all optimistic, but I do hope it works out for you.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

It seems like a lot of delight after a loss

Theresa May with a bigger majority and a Labour party in tatters was a scary prospect , that is now just a bad dream.

Cleggy lost his seat.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Please explain UK politics to me, because I'm struggling with how this is working as an American.
2. May's party ended up with 318 seats against 261 held by the opposition... in the US Congress this would be a massive advantage for the 318 side. What is it in the UK system that makes this a bad thing for May's party?
3. If May's party already held the majority, why in the blue hell did the dummy call for a special election in the first place?
4. All the talk in the US media of her stepping down from PM to be replaced by her rival is confusing. Do UK voters vote for the PM, or is the PM selected in some other fashion?

I'd like an answer to these questions as well. I'm always a little confused reading threads about UK politics.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thank God somebody asked. I've been trying to figure this all out on my own, but I'm not doing well.

edit on 6/9/2017 by angeldoll because: I've

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

gotta have control over half MP's in parliament, best if all are your party but if not enough can do deals with other parties to take control, conservbatives only have DUP from n.ireland to work with, they have 10 mp's.

Need 326 MP's in acoalition to take control in parliament, dont happen often and usually ends in tears with another early election lol

edit on 9-6-2017 by DaveEngland because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DaveEngland

In the U.S., MP is military police. So, what is MP?

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
I'm always a little confused reading threads about UK politics.

The thing I like about the United Kingdom's politics is that they can yell at each in the place where they meet, the politics place, or whatever it's called.

I wish ours was more like that. Instead of 'The Gentleman from So And So will recognize the Chair' we can have them yell 'I said not to be stupid, you moron! Shut up! Sit down!'

edit on 9-6-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Armaments 2:9-21 And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats...

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Yes, though obviously there will be discussions within the party.

There are 650 seats, so 326 are needed to hold a majority. Labour won 261 but there are other parties who can join with Labour to form a majority and outvote the Conservative 318 seats, hence the Conservatives have joined with the DUP to push them over 326.

She thought she could get a bigger majority - just like in your country sometimes members of the same party do not go along with the leaders policies so she wanted a bigger cushion to protect against those in her own party who would/might defy her on a 'hard Brexit'. In addition, after we leave the EU, the next election would have almost been immediate.. by calling one now it gives 2 years after leaving the EU for people to see that the country is OK and prospering. Finally, May never went through a general election - she just took over form Cameron after a party election. Going into the Brexit negotiations she wanted the people of the UK to be behind her.

We don;t vote for the PM, we vote for our local candidates who are members of a party.. e.g conservative, labour, etc
The party chooses their leader and whichever party is in power, the leader of that party is the PM.
Because May actually reduced the majority in this election, the party is furious and some want her out.. thus a leadership battle may ensue, and a new Conservative leader may take over and thus become PM
edit on 9/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join