It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New scathing review of the current state of ufology by veteran Spanish ufologist VJ Ballester Olmos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
A new scathing review of the current state of ufology by veteran Spanish ufologist Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos is at link below:

fotocat.blogspot.co.uk...

(For anyone not familiar with his name, Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos is a Spanish UFO researcher with over 30 years of experience in this field. He is the author of several UFO books, with forewords written for him by Dr. J. Allen Hynek, Dr. Jacques Vallée, and Dr. Richard Haines. As I wrote in an item about a decade ago, V-J's name isn't as well known on English/American discussion forums as he deserves, partly because he is Spanish and his first language is not English. There is a definite tendency in the English-speaking UFO community to focus on the work of researchers in English speaking countries. Also, V-J avoids sensationalism. Researchers that make more sensational statements gain more attention - whether their work deserves it or not...).

VJ's rather damning comments in his new article at the above link include:

"In the 1950s charismatic UFO organizations were established, only to close down decades later without having achieved their main objective, to prove that flying saucers exist. Nothing extraordinary or persuasive was transmitted, only thousands of “UFO journals” pages filled with stories and lots of cabinets with innumerable cases files destined to yellow with the passage of time. Nowadays, private centers devoted to the “study” of UFOs can be counted on one hand’s fingers. The healthiest-funded one, set up in Sweden, is mainly dedicated to preserve UFO archives, well aware of the increasing number of retiring ufologists, abandoned files, and shut down organizations." ...

and

"Ufology not only fails to advance, it is a vicious circle. Today we see UFO news publicized on the internet with the same old images of lens flares or aircraft contrails that seemed strange in the 1950s. Because there are no academic or authoritative criteria universally accepted, and no hard evidence that exists as a certainty, past mistakes recur over and over. Ufology is immersed in a loop that never ends".

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
First and foremost, it is very nice to see you back with a new thread. I highly hope this trend continues from you to us.

So I guess the best question would be, What can we do to break this vicious circle? We know the truth is out there, you yourself have basically proven it over and over many times. I'm sure you are as frustrated as the gentleman you have just presented to us.

We can't exactly clear all the noise from the bogus you tube folks for example, nor make some of the well known names in the field stop their elaborations either. I for one as IM sure many others including yourself would love to find a new track that actually makes some real headway.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think of all those yellowing files. With those kind of numbers the odds just have to be many little gold nuggets amongst them...

ETA: someone just posted in another thread about meteor strikes becoming more common. They also had a video which is supposedly a live meteor detector. I have the site up now and I'm watching the graph. Since it seems to operate on radio waves being reflected back to us after the meteors have charged some elements in its passing, do you think it's possible a UFO could perhaps do the same thing? The link to the graph is www.livemeteor.com

Again, Weclome back, your presentations have been dearly missed.

edit on 6/9/17 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I agree with him, Ufology is in a sad state of affairs.

It's been taken over by fantasists selling fiction and CGI hoaxes.

People are still posting pictures of gulls in flight as UFO's.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
First and foremost, it is very nice to see you back with a new thread. I highly hope this trend continues from you to us.

It makes me sick to my stomach to think of all those yellowing files. With those kind of numbers the odds just have to be many little gold nuggets amongst them...

Again, Weclome back, your presentations have been dearly missed.

I echo those sentiments.

Regarding worthy campaigns to preserve old files....

In my research on various space/missile events which have given rise to spectacular UFO stories, I have relied on and trusted the diligent work of past chroniclers, and try to express gratitude to them with this message: “These research results are dedicated to the legions of unsung and often anonymous worldwide chroniclers of ‘UFO reports’ and other anomalous observations which so often fall through the cracks of scientific attention. These people, numbering in the thousands, have labored tirelessly for decades to capture information they want not to be lost forever, in the hopes that someday it could be important in making sense of it. Without them, most of it WOULD have vanished from human consciousness. Perhaps the explanations offered here are not precisely in line with their own expectations, but they are sincerely offered in fulfilment of their higher hopes that someday somebody would take real lessons from their efforts, and in keeping faith with them, would show their labors were not in vain. Salute!”

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: JimOberg

Nice to see you turn up here as well. I was editing my post while you posted yours. Nice tribute.

I think you might be able to answer the question I edited into my post. Would love too hear what you think of my question... Thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IsaacKoi

The game of "ufology" has run its course. It was a citizen-ran deal from the onset when government and science failed in their respective duties to tell the truth to the public. They had their reason and their plan was simple, deny and let the people make up their own minds about the reality of other intelligent creatures rivaling or bettering us in the galaxy.

The result was the creation of the inevitable, a mythological story that had all sorts of entanglements save for the prime truth that we are not alone and should no longer be constricted in our thinking along that avenue.

Such as it is, the term UFO, even in the english usage, is known and has a meaning across the world. And guess what, now that the myth has lost a lot of its harshness of blazing ray guns of the invaders, the tone is settling down to a serious look--as if they hadn't done that decades ago--of how many and what types of ET civilizations can we expect. You know, being a Third World world has not been easy for the commanders of planet Earth to sit down with.
edit on 9-6-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Here's an idea, if you do 10 threads "Isaac Koi's Unexplained UFO Files (Part 1 of 10)" or something, focusing on one specific case the way you do in each part, ATS can promote it hard - keep it (or a headline link) on the front page indefinitely, let members promote it on all their social media as the draw-card for what the site represents.

You do and will continue to have my 100% support Isaac, you are imo the best hope I have ever read in the field.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
I agree with him, Ufology is in a sad state of affairs.

It's been taken over by fantasists selling fiction and CGI hoaxes.

People are still posting pictures of gulls in flight as UFO's.

thirdcaskofgoon and insecureteam10 posting epic-level BS videos has all but drowned out voices like Isaac - now it's about eye-candy and confirmation bias - bad combo.
edit on 9-6-2017 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Jim Oberg and Isaac Koi both on one thread....things maybe looking up on ATS

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Have to say yeah, we've gotten nowhere scientifically but this is more of a chess game than rugby match. Things may improve once some of the obsfucating dinosaurs in the field opinions lose credence and tech available to the public becomes more affordable.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
IsaacKoi

"Ufology not only fails to advance, it is a vicious circle. Today we see UFO news publicized on the internet with the same old images of lens flares or aircraft contrails that seemed strange in the 1950s. Because there are no academic or authoritative criteria universally accepted, and no hard evidence that exists as a certainty, past mistakes recur over and over. Ufology is immersed in a loop that never ends".

It is funny that he mentions this. I noticed that there is a definite need for some re-evaluation of the criteria as well. Just a few weeks ago I mentioned to a Mod that I had some interest in starting a research forum thread on figuring out what the criteria should be (among other things)... but didn't know if there would be enough interest.

That forum hasn't been active for a long time...but, I thought it might be quite useful when trying to gather some evidence/information and putting together a serious guideline as to what we should look for when presented with possible UFO sightings. And then presenting our findings in a thread within the UFO forum once we've finished. As a scholar, you probably can attest as to whether or would be useful or not...

Anyhow, it is an area that is easily faked and relies heavily on witness testimony. And the serious researchers are getting drowned out by the hoaxers... it would be nice to see more of the "I can't explain it" UFO's and less of the "omg, that's a bug" ones...

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 9-6-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: IsaacKoi
A new scathing review of the current state of ufology by veteran Spanish ufologist Vicente-Juan Ballester

Cor blimey! I thought I'd seen it all, with labour winning and all - but no, it gets even better: you're back!

Yay!

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
he's right and I agree with him 100%. It was just the other day I was thinking to myself, gee, it's been such a long time since anybody posted any kind of sighting where aliens either were seen/involved, or there was another abduction, there's been just nothing. Are they not happening any more or are people to afraid of ridicule to come forward...or what?!

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: data5091Are they not happening any more or are people to afraid of ridicule to come forward...or what?!

Well, maybe this is a good idea, they seem to be quite scientific / serious: www.ufodata.net...

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Hello Isaac, nice to meet you and welcome back. You are one of the most recognizable names from my lurking days and I hope this isn't just a temporary stay for you. ATS could really use you right about now.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I think it's down to ridicule and it was a bird/balloon/secret military. Where's the pics/video.

I had a sighting flying into Manchester a month ago. As I was unlocking my phone to video it, it just shot straight up into the sky.

I only told my friends and family but even they don't really believe me as I have no pics/video.

I think even if I did catch it it would have been the usual suspects in their eyes.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Here's an idea, if you do 10 threads "Isaac Koi's Unexplained UFO Files (Part 1 of 10)" or something, focusing on one specific case the way you do in each part, ATS can promote it hard - keep it (or a headline link) on the front page indefinitely, let members promote it on all their social media as the draw-card for what the site represents.

You do and will continue to have my 100% support Isaac, you are imo the best hope I have ever read in the field.

The public sentiment to the UFO question these days is a shrug of the shoulders or that popular term. It is plainly evident right here on ATS. The shrug meaning, more or less, why not? Sighting REPORTS don't, won't, haven't done the job in over half a centuryno matter how detailed. Plus, there are tons of decent books that have actually done the research to the greatest extent possible.

The credibility of physical reports carry zero weight compared to what science, government and the media instruct us to believe. Let government controlled science tell us there are fossils on Mars, that we have received a commo from space and people will automatically accept that as the gospel. Let the government admit that UFOs are genuine and people will say to themselves, "Humm, all of those old books on UFOs were right after all. But until then the situation will not change appreciably.

The UFO myth is real. If you trouble yourself to understand the creation and purpose of myths, you can have your personal answer to that question that otherwise only physical evidence can soundly prove.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
ISAAC KOY IS BACK FU#K YEAH!

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Welcome back Isaac you''ve been missed around these parts.

And of course V.J. Ballester-Olmos is correct. Where are we in 2017 compared to 1947 when all of this started?

You may not be aware but Señor Ballester-Olmos has actually been of great help here on ATS.

There is a very famous case from 1952 concerning the Washington DC UFO flap. The UFO flap and events were real and were eventually explained as 'temperature inversions' by the USAF although this was never a universal opinion.

However one photo is continually used to illustrate that event. It is not from 1952 and shows lens flare from the street lights below.

Sometimes it's cropped, or reduced to black and white. It appears to have even been used as the basis for a video presented as genuine evidence from 1952 of the event. (It was actually a creation for a UK TV documentary 'UFOs the Secret Evidence' and used for illustration purposes only).

Fellow member Arbitrageur created thread The "UFOs" in the famous photo showing lights over Washington DC have been identified.

There was much debate about the provenance of that photo and "lens flare" denialists present in that thread.

However within an hour or two of emailing Señor Ballester-Olmos he provided full scans of photos explaining the lens flare. But also, more importanly, an accompanying letter from the architect of the Capitol Building explaining that certain building work was visible that did not take place until 1965. Consequently proving the photo has no relevance to the 1952 sightings.

See full explanation

This still appears and then re-appears to this day as evidence of UFOs over the Capitol building in 1952. Often from pure ignorance. Sometimes for illustration only. But usually passed off as a genuine photo from the events of the time.

The case is very much a real UFO case but there are no photos or film of any UFOs during the 1952 Washington DC UFO flap. Something which is very difficult to find out when researching the topic if you only visit certain websites, read certain books and watch certain TV shows.

edit on 9/6/17 by mirageman because: edit

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Sadly most of the reports happening are being reported to agencies like MUFON and the story dies there unless they decide to cover it on their Hangar 1 series. Mostly misses as the show was done by the History channel purely for ratings, but every once in a while they cover something you wish they had spent the entire episode on.

Look up case number 40667 on the following page for example, from 2012.
mufoncms.com...

Its at the tail end of this episode on youtbue - season 2 episode 12, at the 31:10 mark

The science community ignores the subject completely, only heretics would dare study it(shameful how childish this arena can get). And the public treats it like the national debt - pretend it doesnt exist.

Unless something dramatic happens, it appears dead.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join