It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study suggests mid-mantle holds as much water as Earth's oceans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
This theory has been around for awhile but other than theory it is something very hard to prove.

(Phys.org)—A team of researchers affiliated with several institutions in Japan and Germany has found evidence that suggests the middle of Earth's mantle holds as much water as the planet's oceans. In their paper published on the open access site Science Advances, the group describes their theory and their experiments to try to prove them correct.

Read more at: phys.org...

By adjusting the amount of water added to their synthetic mantle and calculating changes in viscosity, they were able to estimate how waterlogged the real-world minerals are. They then used that information to calculate how much water is in the entire mid-mantle. They report that it is very nearly equal to the amount of water in all of the world's oceans.

Read more at: phys.org...

So bottom line it is still a theory but a theory that is gaining more theoretical proof.

edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

You mean it is still a hypothesis? With no evidence except for a computer model, there is nothing to theorize about. Although i don't find this a far fetched idea, it is far from a theory.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I guess in a bit fuzzy on the whole thing, but isn't the mantle a huge churning ocean of molten rock, whose friction drags on the Earth's crust causing tectonic plates to move?
That's a bit hot for liquid water, and a bit dense for steam, why wouldn't it be forced out to the surface?

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

search.proquest.com...

" Water in Earth's Mantle: The Role of Nominally Anhydrous Minerals "
Bell, David R; Rossman, George R. Science; Washington255.5050 (Mar 13, 1992): 1391.

As far back as 1992 there was evidence of water in the upper mantle

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I have read about this before ...Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth
By Ker Than | February 28, 2007 www.livescience.com...

Scientists Discover Subterranean 'Ocean' Under Eastern Asia www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I find it interesting that we are unsure about the the structure of our own planet.

We have no concrete proof of what lies beneath our feet or under our oceans, but they talk as if they are so sure about the composition of planets lightyears away.

There is nothing wrong with making an educated guess, but they are so quick to ostracize anyone that comes up with an educated guess that is different from what the majority wishes to believe.

It is science. There are so many changing factors at play that the word fact only can be used for what can be proven in the moment.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
well the religious nuts will finly believe science .
after all now they can say well the water from the flood went into the earth .
ps even if fact still a few 100 trillion gallons short or 50 oceans for a better idea
on the other hand gives lots of ammo for expanding earth .It will be much harder to say naa no way on that one .
see now if all that water was on teh surface then earth would be smaller and water would cover more by earth asurbing the water it get bigger
o the over all size in space isnt changed but the size of earth its self has gotton bigger as water mass is now inside it .
ps dont think for a second it could be true just figered i would give teh expanding earth people a smaller rock to through lol .

edit on 9-6-2017 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Well of course, how else will the inhabitants of the Hollow earth eat and drink???

Everyone has their conspiracy of choice and all kinds of flavors. Mine? Hollow Earth inhabitants. Perhaps a whole culture of peoples live beneath us, in a self contained biosphere. Our actions on the surface are but minor rumbles and shakes to them, nothing serious and the humans haven't penetrated this far deep.

Of course I'm also bat s# crazy too.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If this is the case I would guess that the water is either boiling or is steam since the mantle is beneath the crust and that's where things get hot.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

The water is neither boiling nor is it steam.
It would be locked within the molecules of hydrated minerals.

This is because the mid-mantle is dominated by the minerals wadsleyite and ringwoodite, which are known to be able to hold a lot of water.

phys.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Hell, National Geographic reported in 2011 we, "science," hasn't even identified eighty six percent of the Earth's species yet... Species. We don't KNOW #, and only a quarter of what we THINK we know. But we're "bound for the stars," right? Whatever.
edit on 9-6-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Coolant in the oil? Thats no good.

top topics

join