It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The west cannot be superior in everything

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, I dunno about the air conditioned thing, the Air Force and Marine Corps jet fighter pilots stationed in Iraq have air conditioning, but the helicopter pilots and ground troops are in tents pretty much.

The food in the american military probably is slightly better than a British troop's, but overall all ground troops live a #ty life pretty much.

I was just reading in a book about the march of the 1st Marine Division to Iraq, where one of the troops commented something like, "Thank god he didn't give men noses on their feet." (i.e. a lot of sleeping was done in the backs of armored personnel carriers which stunk oftentimes)

If you want creature comforts, be a jet pilot. If you want more comforts perhaps then a grunt, be a helo pilot, but you still won't have the comforts of the jet pilots. And if you want to be a genuine hard-ass, be a ground troop.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer
The British could not fight a war with America. How much better could anyone really believe British soldiers are? They'd be outnumbered about 10:1, so they had better be ten times as effective. American troops are also equipped better then British soldiers. Our soldiers have better bases. They get paid more. They get fed better.

[edit on 7-2-2005 by Disturbed Deliverer]

We would be outnumbered but i dont think you could stand our weather, ever tried liveing with midgies?...**starts haveing flash backs**

Well right now I think you'll find UK troops are better fed and paid than the US, only US army rangers get paid more than an average royal marine.
The RMC are the best paid infantry in the world, fact infact this is where most of our funding is.

Our troops train longer and harder, your marines are about as fit as our marines just starting training.

Also what do you mean fed better?
Better cooks?
Better ration packs?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Also what do you mean fed better?

The US serves its beer Cold and its steaks hot, y'all got it reversed!
Plus, the US doesn't put all its food inside of biscuits, except maybe hotpockets. Youse Guys got pork pot pies, cornish pasties, and the like!

Plus, when an american soldier wakes up in this hypothetical american-anglo war, he can ask for sausage with his breakfast, whereas you guys have to say 'chippolata'. BAH! BY the time you finish saying that long strange word yo're defeated! And the american troops will take your breakfast too! But they'll let you eat the beans, no civilized person actually has beans with their eggs, so you'll be able to keep that!

And what happens when you guys try invade anyway? Sure, maybe you can invade massachussettes and take boston in the early morning, but by the time you get to NYC to take it again, its going to be tea time! Ha, thats right, tea time! You'll be utterly defeated then! Even if you slog down your tea real quicklike, you're still going to be too busy cutting the crusts off your bread and layering cucumber on it!

On advantage you guys will have is if it comes to chemical warefar, since american mustard is so much less spciy than Colemans spiciest! However, if you dare ally with the french, well, they'll be completely wiped out, since "French's Brand' Mustard is used as a salad dressing in the US; the frogs'll have no immunity!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hey NYgdan, im american but those cornish pastries and such i love. i lived off of them when i visited england. sorry off the topic.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

when it comes to Russian propaganda about communism your right when it comes to Russian Prop about Russian militart you WRONG as usual.

Amazing...you can't even agree with me when I'm agreeing with you...

No wonder you guys are propaganda masters!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The US serves its beer Cold and its steaks hot, y'all got it reversed!
Plus, the US doesn't put all its food inside of biscuits, except maybe hotpockets. Youse Guys got pork pot pies, cornish pasties, and the like!

Ah but remember we have hagis, you cant say you win against that.
And we can serve anything thats right ANYTHING in bater!

Plus, when an american soldier wakes up in this hypothetical american-anglo war, he can ask for sausage with his breakfast, whereas you guys have to say 'chippolata'. BAH! BY the time you finish saying that long strange word yo're defeated! And the american troops will take your breakfast too! But they'll let you eat the beans, no civilized person actually has beans with their eggs, so you'll be able to keep that!

WTF IS A 'chippolata'?????
Please tell what this is?
IF its south of the border then all i can say is you obviosly dont know english foot ball fans!
We aint civilised ameigo!

And what happens when you guys try invade anyway? Sure, maybe you can invade massachussettes and take boston in the early morning, but by the time you get to NYC to take it again, its going to be tea time! Ha, thats right, tea time! You'll be utterly defeated then! Even if you slog down your tea real quicklike, you're still going to be too busy cutting the crusts off your bread and layering cucumber on it!

Tea?
Thats for cowards and jessy's, a real mans drink is whiskey or tenents or vodka!
Besdies we have scotsmen and northern irish men ready to easily wipe the floor with you lot!
By the time you guys have finished getting out of your 1 mile to gallon cars we will have already imbedded our claymores into your face....

On advantage you guys will have is if it comes to chemical warefar, since american mustard is so much less spciy than Colemans spiciest! However, if you dare ally with the french, well, they'll be completely wiped out, since "French's Brand' Mustard is used as a salad dressing in the US; the frogs'll have no immunity!

Us?
French?
ARE YOU MAD!
We dini need the french besides, we'd just get them to send the legion over!
Besides, you couldnt handle our drinking competitions...ever wonder why they give american service men cards telling them NOT to drink with the brittish?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
devilwasp, true, true - you can include the North of England there, too

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Well right now I think you'll find UK troops are better fed and paid than the US, only US army rangers get paid more than an average royal marine.
The RMC are the best paid infantry in the world, fact infact this is where most of our funding is.

That makes no sense. Army Rangers do not get paid any more than any other person in the US military...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars51
That makes no sense. Army Rangers do not get paid any more than any other person in the US military...

No ofcourse higher ups will get more...hmmm mavbye i shouldnt trust that ranger info i got....hang on I will look it up on the US army site....

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Disturbed Deliverer

And how about some backup to that? How the hell are you supposed to know "They get fed better" How can you compare that. Maybe if you were comparing the US to North Korea you could make a statement like that, but really, how can you compare who eats better when it comes to the US and UK? And how about some figures for the pay? And how can you compare bases as well. Have you gone around and surveyed British and American bases and looked at their blueprints?

You can do the math yourself for something like how much is spent per man. America spends about 33% more then the UK per man. I'll admit, I'm more or less guessing American troops get paid more.

Although the rest is based off the conditions I've read about. American troops get a lot of luxuries. Our bases are completely air conditioned. I believe there's a topic that even talks about how our troops are now able to buy fast food on bases in Iraq. American soldiers get a lot of hardier foods.

America's military budget is growing right now, while Europe's is shrinking.

I think most of what I said is obvious.

If I remember correctly during the first and second gulf wars... American MRE's were so horrible that US soldier regularly bought food from their british counterparts.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius

If I remember correctly during the first and second gulf wars... American MRE's were so horrible that US soldier regularly bought food from their british counterparts.

First off, I have no idea what British food is like. I think it is silly and probably impossible to compare the food and wages of US and UK troops.

That said, having eaten quite a few MRE's, I think they are quite good. There are some meals I don't care for - but overall I would take an MRE over most standard fast food.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

That said, having eaten quite a few MRE's, I think they are quite good. There are some meals I don't care for - but overall I would take an MRE over most standard fast food.

Have to agree there like, nothing like the sausage and beans after sleeping in a wet sleeping bag.....

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

WTF IS A 'chippolata'?????

Ain't that what one of them breakfast sausages called? I've gotten it in an english deli nearby before.

Strange story tho, I walk in and there's a spanish chick working the counter, I'm like, ok normal enough, then she's all like 'hi i have an english accent, even tho i am spanish' ok, she didn't say it like that, but that was the jist, i was like 'whoa' and she was like 'not so whoa' I was like, 'wait, this sausage has a spanish sounding name'. So i got a sausage roll and a pork pot pie with port wine cheese on top, laughed at the can of spotted dick and left with a yorkies.

you obviosly dont know english foot ball fans!

You spelled 'hooligans' wrong!

Besdies we have scotsmen and northern irish men ready to easily wipe the floor with you lot!

I think we got some of those irishians rummaging around. As for scots, well, since the anglish kicked most of them outta scotland and into nova scotia, I guess we'll have to watch the northern front. mwa ha. yikes, mayhaps I went to far!
By the time you guys have finished getting out of your 1 mile to gallon cars we will have already imbedded our claymores into your face....
But we drive around in hummers man! and we have the terminator as god dammned governor, govna!

ever wonder why they give american service men cards telling them NOT to drink with the brittish?

Does it invovle the word 'bugger' at some point? Yikes. Come on, I know you guys get lonely, I've seen the teeth on some of your women! And you Scotch people won't have any of your sheep, so what else ya gonna do! Kick a welshman in the head, sure, but then what!

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

First off, I have no idea what British food is like. I think it is silly and probably impossible to compare the food and wages of US and UK troops.

Hmm, maybe that is the best way to settle disputes tho. France might become something of a world power, as long as horse stocks throughout the planet remain steady they'd have a chance. Hmm, latin america would become a powerhouse to, but I am not really sure how the Pakistani-India situation would be worked out. China, obviously, has already taken a step in that direction, with General Tso. Alas, the irish will never be able to stop the troubles then I suppose.

That said, having eaten quite a few MRE's, I think they are quite good.

The meatloaf one looks like dogfood tho.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Does it invovle the word 'bugger' at some point? Yikes. Come on, I know you guys get lonely, I've seen the teeth on some of your women! And you Scotch people won't have any of your sheep, so what else ya gonna do! Kick a welshman in the head, sure, but then what!

I think this thread might have just became completely pointless. Is there really a need to bring up the British and their teeth? I think not...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I agree with you Starwar. What is point in agrueing whose soldiers are feed better or how much they get paid? Also with Siberian and Disturbed argueing over past conflicts, How does that really prove who is better.

As to the topic of the subject at hand, of course the US/western powers aren't superior in everything, no one is or ever will be. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool. Also What is the point in argueing over who is better? Does it gain you anything worthwhile. All of these US vs ???, and them vs. us topics always seem to turn into flaming matches beetween Patriotic Nationalist who don't back down when they are clearly beaten And in my opinion the only why to prove your statements would be to prove them on the battlefield.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

sausages called? I've gotten it in an english deli nearby before.

Ah its ENGLISH...exsaplins it...

Strange story tho, I walk in and there's a spanish chick working the counter, I'm like, ok normal enough, then she's all like 'hi i have an english accent, even tho i am spanish' ok, she didn't say it like that, but that was the jist, i was like 'whoa' and she was like 'not so whoa' I was like, 'wait, this sausage has a spanish sounding name'. So i got a sausage roll and a pork pot pie with port wine cheese on top, laughed at the can of spotted dick and left with a yorkies.

You think thats weird...here we have chinese working at a scottish shop owned by a frenchman...

You spelled 'hooligans' wrong!

Lol, didnt want to offend the other posters...

I think we got some of those irishians rummaging around. As for scots, well, since the anglish kicked most of them outta scotland and into nova scotia, I guess we'll have to watch the northern front. mwa ha. yikes, mayhaps I went to far!

I think you'll find that we signed a peace treaty with them and joined them...oh BTW, i wouldnt plan a visit to scotland any time soon, this entire conversation is being transmiitted to the royal regiment of scotland and your picture is being sent as well....

But we drive around in hummers man! and we have the terminator as god dammned governor, govna!

Ah hummers shummers we have bentley's ....do YOU want to go head to head with a bentley?

Does it invovle the word 'bugger' at some point? Yikes. Come on, I know you guys get lonely, I've seen the teeth on some of your women!

We prefer to steal the other sides women....lol...women are part of our army for crying out loud. You ever seen the scottish womens rugby club??? I've seen royals run away from them!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
DevilWasp, to say British Marines just starting training are as fit as American Marines who've already been through training is pure ignorance, and it depends on what kind of "Marine" you're referring to.

Don't make yourself sound like an idiot. A Royal Marine Commando who has already been through basic training would obviously be starting training just as fit as any reg. American Marine, however an American Marine who is a member of Marine Force Recon would be pretty much equal to a Royal Marine I'd say.

But I mean no British starts military training just as fit as any standard American soldier; people start military training as fit as anyone else.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
DevilWasp, to say British Marines just starting training are as fit as American Marines who've already been through training is pure ignorance, and it depends on what kind of "Marine" you're referring to.

Actually I have personally passed the USMC test , you know the test put into action just after vietnam since many marines where found to be unfit after passing through.
The USMC is about the same fitness as a royal marine comando going into basic training.

scetc.tecom.usmc.mil..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
USMC tests.

Actually this is admited by ex army , ex RN , ex RM , serving RN , serving RM but aint talked to a serving army guy about it.

Don't make yourself sound like an idiot. A Royal Marine Commando who has already been through basic training would obviously be starting training just as fit as any reg. American Marine, however an American Marine who is a member of Marine Force Recon would be pretty much equal to a Royal Marine I'd say.

Well you already have named me as one.
Also the pre royal marine fitness test is the same as the USMC fitness test not the pre joining but the actual serving one.

But I mean no British starts military training just as fit as any standard American soldier; people start military training as fit as anyone else.

For the RM you need to be fitter than the average person as it states, on the beep test you should be getting into the 12's.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
DevilWasp, it isn't that hard to pass the USMC fitness test, I can pass it too. What is difficult is passing the Marine Recon fitness tests, which require a perfect score on the USMC PFT. A perfect score is 100 situps or crunches (something inbetween a crunch and a situp) in two minutes, run 3 miles in 18 minutes or less, and 20 deadhang pullups. If you can score a perfect score on the USMC PFT, you're pretty fit. That is the minimum requirement for a Recon Marine.

But I mean, thus, I can say that any Marine going into training to be a Recon Marine is just as fit, if not moreso, than probably the average Royal Marine.

So I mean Royal Marine Commandos are probably the same...you probably have to have a perfect score on their PFT or something, meaning you'd be extra fit. So a Royal Marine going into Commando training would be a lot fitter than an average Marine (American or British) since they'd have to have a top-notch fitness level from the start.

Or, since the Royal Marine Corps is smaller than the USMC, perhaps all Royal Marines require the same fitness level as a USMC Recon Marine, which then I agree, the average Royal Marine would then enter basic training with the same fitness as a normal USMC Marine, but that is because they'd be entering into a more elite program. Sort of like officer training for USMC Marine officers. You enter officer training in shape already (if not, you get kicked out....it's up to you to get yourself in shape upon arrival).

It depends. My point was for the BASIC basic military training, anyone, British or American, is about equal. I am not sure how the RM work (if all RM are equivalent fitness-wise to Recon Marines or if that just applies to Royal Marine Commandos).

To become an officer in the USMC, you have to go through OCS, which means upon arriving at OCS, you have to have the same fitness level as a standard Marine. If you enlist in the Marine Corps, they get you into pretty good shape; you can't be way out of shape, but you don't have to be in real shape. For becoming an officer, you are expected to already be in decent shape. To get into OCS.

But both British Marines and Royal Marines are both highly respectable soldiers, and that has been proven throughout wars in history. Neither has ever proven themselves cowardly.

So I just mean don't blatantly knock on one country's soldiers. And I didn't call you stupid, I just mean be careful what you say, as it can make you sound stupid to other readers (and not that I haven't done that multiple times before myself either!!).

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join