It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops are people too.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
why is it that you guys are more then willing to pass out tickets to people that speed but will hold back when it's one of your very own? If it was such an issue I think you guys would be taking it more seriously and at least trying to set an example, and abide by that law as well...

Not all cops are like that - some actually treat everyone equally.

A POLICE officer slapped a parking ticket on the windscreen of a colleague’s squad car while fellow cops were setting up a speed trap, it emerged today.

The officers had parked their squad car on the wrong side of the road, facing oncoming traffic when the enthusiastic policeman issued the ticket in eastern Germany.

Hans-Joachim Schneider, head of the Jessen police, said: "Traffic regulations apply for everyone."

Cop's ticket for colleague

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Pisky]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
To answer Ambient Sound: I personally think the war on drugs is a farce and a losing battle, much like prohibition of the 1920's. It would be a much better idea to legalize it and tax the s**t out of it like they do with everything else. This would also free up some much needed prison space for real criminals like chi-mo's and corporate money launderers. Unfortunately, I am legally bound in my state to enforce all laws. There is actually a statute on the books, as is the case in most states, that states I can be arrested and prosecuted for failing to make an arrest for any violation that I observe ON or OFF duty! This leads me to answer the questions posed by TrueLies: These laws are on the books in many states and many countries across the globe (check with your local district attorney) and cops are not above the law. The problem lies with what is called "professional courtesy" which is the cop term for looking the other way when another cop or a rich, influential member of the community does something wrong.

I cannot speak to your own personal experiences, and I am sorry if you have witnessed this sort of thing. But I will give you several examples of this law working in my state of Nebraska: 1) A police SGT in North Platte was convicted and sent to jail for driving drunk and causing a crash that killed two of his fellow police officers. 2) Last week the police chief of Broken Bow was put on unpaid leave and an investigation launched into his alleged corrupt activities (he may face jail time). 3) A North Platte State Trooper SGT was arrested, convicted and fired several years ago for domestic violence. 4) I have personally given speeding tickets to other police officers and even arrested a police dispatcher once for drunk driving. I was also even investigated by the State Patrol once for having ties to organized crime and was cleared of any wrong doing. The list goes on and on.

As I have said numerous times, I KNOW there are cops out there who abuse their power and I work with a few, but I can only speak for myself. The point is, if you see this crap happening, there are resources at your disposal to file complaints and get these bad cops off the street. If you just observe and complain, but do not act on your complaints, I can't sympathize with you.

[edit on 2/8/2005 by blueknight]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Discusting... And whats that study where they found more cops abuse their spouses then reg citizens?

You're close. Actually, FBI crime statistics state that the US Border Patrol(specifically the agents on the Mexican border) is the one profession in the US where employees are most likely to commit acts of violence on their family, most likely to attempt suicide and most prone to alcohol and drug addiction. They don't say why.............

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Hey Junglejake and fellow peeps in Chi Town!
Yeah, very corrupt here......but the good and the bad. I had a nice experience today (if you can call a car accident nice) with the Elmhurst, Illinois police. I called and said I did not report the accident/call the cops at the time-because we'd already pulled off street, so.....? What would the cop do? Take notes? I mean this sincerely as well because: don't the cops have better things to do? Like rescue people and such? For these activities, I think cops deserve praise.

When they get power hungry, or on some macho trip-----here in lies the problem.

But thats not only cops, its all walks of life.

I think its good too that alot of departments are requiring at least some college, to be a cop. I think they need it, esp psychology---imagine all the nuts they encounter.

well nice phone conversation with the Elmhurst Police anyway. When I go to fill in the form, they may lock me up, for all I know (it was the other drivers fault though). So I'm still kind of reserving judgement.

Edited for spelling, and one last thought: Here, corruption starts from the 'top down' if you know what I mean. And it is so old, so entrenched, that its a mindset. You even see it in 'legit' settings: such as corporations cheating on tax, etc. You see this everywhere, but I think its WORSE in Chi because its such an ancient culture. God are people weasely here-don't move here! Way worse than NYC or London (oddly alot of Londoners move here, and I've heard London is full of rip off artists too.......maybe thats why they like it here??????)

[edit on 8-2-2005 by Niki]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueknight
There is actually a statute on the books, as is the case in most states, that states I can be arrested and prosecuted for failing to make an arrest for any violation that I observe ON or OFF duty!

So if you are having a nice vacation with your family and see the Pisky scribbling on a building, you have to arrest him or get prosecuted yourself ?

I can understand it if you are on duty and armed, but what if you're in civvies and see an armed robbery - Surely they don't expect you to take on some scumbag with a shotgun if youre off duty and not armed yourself ?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This has been enlightening. Niki and JungleJake, I can't say I understand what it's like to live in a big city, but I feel for you. That must be a nightmare. I wish you could experience the small town live for a breath of fresh air. We have our problems, but imagine the shock on your face when a trooper would help you change a tire or a local police officer helps you put your groceries in your car. Warn me first if you move out here.......I don't want to stop to pet your dog and have you pull a gun on me!

I went to a class in Iowa once that was taught by a retired Chicago cop. He had scars from being shot three times and stabbed twice. He said a Chicago police officer is involved in a shooting or stabbing two or three times a week. I cannot imagine how that would be. I'll stick to speeders and meth cookers in quiet little Nebraska, thanks. WOW!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
By the way, to address the issue of "cops giving other cops a break" from another angle the worst violators of this "professional courtesy" are politicians and diplomats. I'm sure everyone is aware of the international treaty covering diplomatic immunity for foreign dignitaries.

But were you aware that this extends to the US Congress and even some state legislatures? In the state of Nebraska, while the unicam is in session, all the state lawmakers are covered by diplomatic immunity. What this means is, they cannot be ticketed or arrested for ANYTHING while the legislature is in session. If a legislator is stopped by police for any reason, he/she only has to identify himself/herself as a state lawmaker by way of an ID card. Once the officer determines the identity is valid, he MUST immediately release that person or else THE OFFICER can be arrested, jailed and fired!

So you think COPS are crooked? Ha!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I forgot to mention my husband's brother in law's brother actually got suspended because he was disrespecting a lady who was "out of control"
the only reason they hired him back was because he was in a union.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
And a uncle's a trooper. So my perspective on cops is :

- they are people too

- usually not the smartest people, but most are quick witted.

- they are people like my father, who is set to retire from the assembly line at General Motors.....it was the best/most secure job they could get with their education & skills/personality to provide for their famalies.
People do that every day; "Yeah, it's hard being a _____, but once I get into the union, I'm set." It's been going on for centuries, back to the days of apprentices & guilds.

My gripe ?

Too much reliance on lethal methods & not enough physical toughness required. Given my druthers, all police would have frequent PT testing and be a minimum of a black bet in Hap Ki Do & Brazilian Ju Jitsu.
Seeing fat cops leads everone to rightly suspect that someone is getting shot instead of chased, or that a confrontation is going to have someone having lead removed.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As for the PT requirements, I agree 110%! As I have stated before, a lot of agencies these days will not even accept your application unless you pass a rigorous physical fitness test. In Wyoming, where I am originally from, about 90% of all law enforcement agencies have a yearly physical fitness test. The first time you fail, you get to take the test again within a reasonable amount of time. A second failure results in disciplinary action and a third failure results in termination.

The police academy in Wyoming requires a PT test on day one. If you fail, you go home and get fired. You are not allowed to come back. If you pass, you go through the entire ten week course and take another PT test on the last day. If you fail, you do not graduate and you get kicked out and fired.

Another policy being adopted by several agencies is the requirement of a person to have a MINIMUM of a two year college degree and/or two years of military experience before they even take your application.

Maybe if there were more policies like this across the nation, it would help the image of cops all over.

[edit on 2/9/2005 by blueknight]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
As far as the martial arts aspect, I am a Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics Instructor and we do train our recruits with a combination form of Judo, Navy Seals tactics and basic ground fighting. Of course, the bulk of the training covers liability and legal issues, but used properly by the right person these skills are quite effective at saving lives, preventing an escalation of violence and subduing the suspect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join