It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops are people too.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Due to the massive overload of questions, comments and dissent about cops posted on a thread originally posted by Simulacra(sorry to steal your thunder, Simulacra), I decided to start a new thread. Please feel free to post your comments, personal experiences (good and bad), and gripes about cops. I will try to answer your questions, explain why the cops treated you the way they did and even relate some of my own experiences with you to possibly make you accept us more as people than just a badge and uniform. Keep in mind that I reside in Nebraska and my training relates to Nebraska law. Therefore, I may not be able to relate to your specific state's laws, but I can relate to you about the general nation-wide training standards and how a cop acts and reacts as a result of that training as well as the effects of stress, family, etc. Keep it friendly(I have never arrested you, I assume) and remember that I do have a full time job so give me ample time to respond to your comments and questions. With that in mind, let's get it on.................

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They need to acting like people instead of robots.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I grew up with a father who was a paramedic in a suburb of Chicago for 27 years. I've known lots of cops. There are some who are completely powerhungry psychos, and those who are out to protect the land. I will tell ya most are out to protect. Cops, like everyone else out there, need to be judged on an individual basis. Some people get into it for the wrong reasons. Others, the right reason. My typing is too slow, though, so I'm going to go play some Shadow of Yserbius. I will say this, though. I know most cops can seem like dicks to us when we're pulled over. Just throw yourself in their shoes, tho, when they're writing you a ticket or throw yourself in your passanger's shoes when you pas judgement. No one likes having to pay cash and get nothing in return. Before you judge them, take your wallet out of your judgement.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
A Gripe.

Speeding tickets most of you cops speed on the roads and who's there to pull you over?!

Nobody because many of you think you are "above the law" instead of making sure law and order is kept... You guys break most of the rules then law abiding citizens.

Discusting... And whats that study where they found more cops abuse their spouses then reg citizens?

You guys know your dicks when you sit in the medium of the highway setting a speed trap which is unconstitutional ... so now we have cb's just because you guys aren't working with it.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Why is it that some cops act like if they aren't being called to a shooting or something that minor calls are wasting their time? It doesn't cost any more to have a cop check on a minor call than it does when they are just sitting in the cruiser on their beat. It doesn't take away the cities resources either because they can still respond to something "important" at a moments notice.

Case-in-point; my stepson has had the cops called on him because of a neighbor dispute, and every time, the cops act arrogant and make sure we know that he is wasting their time. I don't consider it a waste if it is your job to respond to calls - any calls. I understand that police see this all the time and may get tired of seeing the stupid actions of people, but because of the law, they must check out each call they get. That is what they are paid for.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I personally would like to see more cops walking a beat, mingling with the residents, befriending kids and making themselves approachable instead of setting up speed traps in thier cruiser while sipping cofee and eating doughnuts.

In madison we have a street mall, kind of like Chicagos Michigan Avenue, only a lot less glitzy, and smaller. (2 lanes) It is placed on a hil that goes up to our state capital and is called State St. You know what the cops do? they part thier vehicle at the park on the end, and look up the street with Binoculars.

But for one, I know the power they have, and the best way to avoid tickets is to be as nice and accomidating as possible and to reassure the Cop I am not going to pull out a gun on him.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
When the Government of the day pulled cops off the beat and put them in squad cars, it caused more problems than it solved.

I remember when we used to have the local bobby on the beat who everyone in the community knew because he was part of the community himself. Now we have cops from miles outside town, driving around in squad cars and the sense of friendly familiarity has gone.

Cops are human beings and as succeptible to being power-crazed as anyone else. One of my IT bosses was a real power-crazy gob#e. The only difference between him and a cop in the same situation is that the cop has the legal right to arrest people. Fortunately my boss didn't have that power or I'd be rotting in jail by now for 'insubordination'

I've drank with some cops and I know others I would cross the street to avoid. KayEm's store has a little nazi in 'Loss Prevention' who wants to be a cop - apparently he's also some kind of police cadet in training. I wouldn't like someone like him out on the streets with the power of arrest, he's the type who give good cops a bad name.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I had a long talk with a Chicago officer tonight, he might even be joining us here.

Some cops are people too, but like all walks of life there are bad apples.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
to me it's like this....we are damned if we do....damned if we don't!
without cops our country would go crazy....mass rioting...looting....murder...rape....vandalism....not for any other reason than because we can and no one can stop us. now since we do have them and they do "protect" us for the most part....then they get my respect for doing the job they do....but i don't respect or apreciate any cop that thinks they are better than i just because they have a badge. and for the record i know of many....i repeat many cops that do horrible things because they are "above the law". there are good cops and bad cops....the good ones are just hard to find because they are always in the shadow of the things the bad cops do....just mho.
HoundDog

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
What have you got for sale?
I'll take a quarter of Chronic and I'm looking for a 30-30. I'm in Chi Town.....its all biz here. email me about the smoke, K? I can prolly move some blow for you too.

Also, I need zoning connections as I'm trying to get into real estate.

Wishing a nice day to all officers! email me!
Esp. friends of Daley or Ward Captains

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Heh, Niki, I live in shytown, too, and I hear you cluckin'! This is one of the most corrupt towns in the country. After all, you ask anyone in the world what they think when they think of our town, and they will, 95% of the time, say the mob. I didn't mention the name of our town besides the term locals use, but I'm sure most know what we're talking about now. Bribed and corrupt cops are crap, in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well, for people who enjoy the recreational use (not abuse) of non-lethal, but yet still illegal for some unfathomable reason substances, cops are not exactly the enemy, but close enough to fear contact and interaction with. It's understood that you are doing your job and all that, but it's obvious that putting someone in jail for smoking a joint does no one anygood except for your police department who gets to confiscate that person's material goods and the prison system, who is just fine with having more customers.

In the mean time, you have taken an individual who probably wasn't a hardened crimminal except for having to associate with the true crimminals to get the drug (percisely because it's illegal, BTW), and put him in an enviorment where he will have to become one to survive. You haven't solved the problem. You have just added to it, but I guess that is safety for the alcohol industry and the chemical drug companies, and job security for you and the prison guards.

What really mystifies me however is that surely you cops must know how stupid it is, yet continue to support the lies, misinformation, and hypocracy that keeps cannabis illegal while alcohol, nicotine, and perscription drug abuse are legal, but significantly more deadly to both the drug user and the population at large.

Other than that, I would be behind law enforcement 100%. The guys I really respect are Officers of the Highway Patrol. They perform a needed service beause stupid driving does kill. Plus it takes big, brass ones to walk up to a dark van at night on a deserted interstate. I think keeping the peace and helping people keep the real criminals at bay is a noble and worthy endevor, or would be if it hadn't turned into the "us vs. them" mentality and tactics that seem to be sliding right toward facism. Instead, you, the embodiment and enforcement mechanism of an unreasonable legal system (I wish it were a justice system but alas...) become the object of my disdain, dislike, and fear. If you could, you would arrest me, humiliate me and restrict my freedom for doing something that is less harmful than that sixpack you may be (and millions of americans will be) drinking this weekend watching the game.

Blueknight, I'm not trying to be harsh, but honest, hoping you will do the same. It's not personal and thanks for starting the dialog, but what about the above scenario doesn't make you my enemy after all?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Hi Blueknight. I agree with you 100%! I have never personally had a bad experience with a police officer but rather the opposite. I have never told anyone this,......what I am about to say, is hard to admit, but here goes.
One day, I was cleaning my apartment, on the ground floor, I was 21. The doorbelll rang, so, I shouted 'one minute I'll be right there." My husband ... then my fiance was at work, so I quickly put the plate in the cupboard and went to get the door. I open the door to see a police officer standing there, and think ...'something happened'. Well, I was right, he asked if he could come in and did so. He then asked if my name was so and so and I said 'yes." He then looked down, and then looked at me and said, "I'm sorry to have to tell you this , but, your father was found dead this afternoon." I was kind of in shock and, asked, "How did you know where to find me?" He told me my father had my picture and had my number on the back of it along with my address. I was really stunned to hear that, really kind of taken aback. He then asked if I had anyone there with me, I told him No,,and began to cry "Why did he do this to me, why?"He asked me if I was okay anough to be left alone or if I wanted to be taken to a family members house. I told him, ....no,,,just that I was stunned as my father kind of disowned me,and that my father had not seen me in 10 years, and that I had tried to get him to come visit me, but he flat out refused too. I told him I had tried everything but that my father was an alcoholic, who committed crimes just to go to jail so he woud have a place to sleep and food to eat. I then told him, I had nothing that belonged to my father, I had no memories, no keepsakes, and no confirmation or belief that he even loved me.He started to go, then asked if I would be home later, I said yes and he left. I sat and cried and thught about a ot of what if's and maybe's.
Later that day he came again, by then I was so heartbroken, I was left to bury my father who I had not seen in years, one who I didn't even believe loved me.
He came in and handed me some paper, and said, "the lady who was taking care of him, said to give you this,..I hope it helps bring you some peace of mind." I just looked at it and said Thank You to him as he left again, smiling and waving.
I sat down to read whatever was on the paper he gave me, and it said,wwell I won't teell the whole thing , too long,I will tell partially what was on it.

"Dearest daughter, there have been so many times when I wanted to come see you to hug you and be there for you like a father should, but I can't. How can I face you as a father, when I am ashamed of myself, and anyway I don't think you would look up to a person lke me, so by dodging you maybe you will remember me as I used to be. I know I hurt you, and you have cried for me, and it seems like I was being cruel, but I stayed away because I am sick, and I am on the streets living off of whatever I can get, and I don't want to show you what I have become. To me, you will always be my baby, and know I love you very much, and that I did this for you, and for me.
I am so very proud of you, and if you see me you would not say the same thing, I am nobody, but I am a nobody who always loved his daughter."
After I read that I sobbed, I wanted to thank the policeman because this was the only thing I had that was of my father, I had nothing else. So, when I saw him next I hugged him and explained why I did so. He told me he knew, that the woman who took care of my father told him, how many times I had called there asking her to see if I could visit him, or if he wanted to come visit me, but my father always said no. I told him, he didn't have to do what he did but because of it, I would not have to question if my father loved me for the rest of my life, that I knew and it was because of him because he cared enough to get the letter for me, because he had compassion for another person.
I have so much respect for policemen, and I hope that this was not too depressing, it was to show that ..yes, cops are people too and.that they also,.... have a big ole heart and a very caring side to them. I will never forget that officer.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by realorritt]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
It's a constant battle on two fronts to be a cop. The first front is fought against the dirtbags who prey on your children or steal your belongings. The second front is a never-ending image problem trying to win over the hearts and minds of the public and re-gain their trust after they have been wronged by another cop or exposed to news reports of another beating. Some people will just hate all cops no matter what, but I personally try to make every contact a professional and cordial experience for all involved. Believe it or not, I even call child molestors "sir" while I am arresting them. But whether you hate me or love me, who are you going to find to do the dirty work for the hotshot politicians were it not for people like me who enjoy the work?

My first fatality car crash was a drunk driver who hit a mini-van head on at seventy miles per hour. I was covered in blood doing CPR on a six week old baby trying to keep him alive until the ambulance arrived. He died in my arms. Aside from all the corruption, arguments about legalizing drugs, power trips and all that other crap does anyone out there want to volunteer to have nightmares the rest of your life while constantly re-living that night wondering, "Could I have done something to save him?"??????????????

It's a world that most will never understand. The few who want to understand will not, but God bless them for trying.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
As far as if you personally could have done anything, no, you did what you could possibly do as a human, the rest was not in your hands but in anothers. I think everyone is appointed a time to live and a time to die. You as a police officer show us you have a heart, and that all police do, but some have to harden their hearts because of what they see and things they cannot change. I hope you never blame yourself for that death, you did what you could and God knows that, and that is more important than any person here knowing it.
If anyone here tinks you are a cold person because of your profession, then maybe they should get to know you before making that judgement on you. You have helped me in an area that was hurting me, and that showed you have compassiion for people. You tried to save a life, but that life was not yours to save but rather maybe you needed to have tat experience for a reason you do not know yet.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueknight
does anyone out there want to volunteer to have nightmares the rest of your life while constantly re-living that night wondering, "Could I have done something to save him?"??????????????

Not being rude, but you signed up for the job, you wanted it for whatever reasons, whether it was to help other people, or because your penis was small...whatever...

You gotta be a really grounded person to do the kinds of job that you, emt's, criminal psychologist's, and doctor's do... Having nightmare's that rest of your life?? I think you need to see a coucillor for that problem.

oh and, you asked if we had any gripes, and now your pissed off because people responded??? but that doesn't surprise me either...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Childish personal attacks, a poor attitude, lack of presentation, sub-standard syntax/grammar and inciteful remarks are the reason why certain people have zero credibility, the reason why they cannot present a good argument and (usually) the reason why they have bad experiences with cops.

If anyone with a serious question or comment would like to continue this debate, feel free. The phony hacks with a bad attitude can feel free to call Michael Savage.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I've never personally had a bad run in with any cop, it's always been pleasant, these are things i notice, and not once have I given a cop attitude, or presenting him with a bs argument... My uncle is an opp, my mom's friends husband is a cop, my best friend's uncle is a city cop where I used to live, and my husband's friends' daughter is chief of police in the next city over where we used to live, all these guy's are great guys, just normal fella's , very genuine, good spirits, and very trustworthy.

my mom's friend's husband has broken the rules while off duty, but see it's fine because he's an officer so if he was to get pulled over for driving along the side of the road to get by rush hour he would of gotten let off. The police officer driving 50 in a 30mph zone in the next town over would get no ticket because he's an officer, don't tell me there's no brotherhood going on there, of course nothing is going to happen even though technically it's bs, so back to my question.

why is it that you guys are more then willing to pass out tickets to people that speed but will hold back when it's one of your very own? If it was such an issue I think you guys would be taking it more seriously and at least trying to set an example, and abide by that law as well...

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Actually, Blueknight, I'm still waiting for your responce to my earlier post about what many see as extreme hypocracy on the part of most police officers.

I think I do present a good arguement, with no personal attacks, and a genuine desire to hear what you have to say about this subject. I never have bad encounters with police because I go to extreme lengths to make sure I avoid them like the black plague. I'm just tired of having to worry about getting busted for a joint while my neighbor beats the crap out of his wife and gets away with it, my other neighbor is dealing with his 3rd DUI and getting away with it, and and some punk is breaking into my truck and will probably get away with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Alot of people here would like my thread I put on a little while back "ALL cops are crooked"...heh...see what people think then. www.abovetopsecret.com...'

top topics

<<   2 >>

join