It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to kill win 7 "C" drive libraries

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I deperately want to expunge the C drive libaries from my entire Windows 7 Home Edition computer and make everything save to a specific folder in my 'G' drive.

Is there a way of doing this?

i've tried changing the default 'save' and 'save as' folder to the G drive location in every single setting I can find in the damn computer but the settings just will not stick. Within days they default back to the libaries in the 'C' drive. I cant even find one single program that will do it.

i tell FF to save to the desired folder in the settings but somehow it never stops saving JPG files to the "pictures" libary in C drive.

thanks to everyone for their help.

Will be back tomorrow night western downunder time.

edit on Sun Jun 11 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: spelling in title

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Um, aren't the operating system (including file manazrgers) stored on the C: drive?

Are you attempting to boot from your G drive instead?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
If your G drive is removable ie: an SD card, Windows will revert to the default system folders every time you remove the card.

Or

The new folder you specify has moved/changed name, since you set it.

Or

You may have downloaded a super stripped down version of Win 7 (as I did, for media production), and those functions simply may not be installed.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Why aren't you saving to an off-drive saver via USB.... Then wiping the C clean?

They would then be avail on the external plug in with a newly cleaned C?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I'm not sure what you are trying to do but use ROBOCOPY to move or copy files.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You want to move your User-folder to another drive, right?
In case of Firefox, you need to set this up in FF itself.

For moving all Userfolders (include Libraries like Pictures etc):
How to Move Windows 7 Personal Folders Like My Documents to Another Drive

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

When you save your photos, and that window pops up? In that window, on the left side, should be a favorites shortcut link that quickly selects a folder structure you have been using the most.

Just insert drive g into your computer, open up 'to the folder' and right click the folder you wish to quickly access with just a click of one extra button, and select the option marked "add to favorites."

A shortcut link will be generated in the save folder view, where you can just quickly insert your g drive, select the folder shortcut from the favorites section, and it will automatically navigate itself inside your g drive to the desired folder to save your photos in.

That's all you need to do.

Don't go changing the registry now.

edit on 682017 by GiulXainx because: Dribe

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

No I do a standard boot up but perhaps theres a setting I've missed somwhere that will enable me to change it.

in any event i think MS stinks for building a system that does not provide a mechanism for this to occur. Who in this day and age stores all their data in with their operating system which if it crapped itself would lose all their data? its insane.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: shefskitchen
If your G drive is removable ie: an SD card, Windows will revert to the default system folders every time you remove the card.

Or

The new folder you specify has moved/changed name, since you set it.

Or

You may have downloaded a super stripped down version of Win 7 (as I did, for media production), and those functions simply may not be installed.

If your G drive is removable ie: an SD card, Windows will revert to the default system folders every time you remove the card. no, I direct eveything to download into my downlaod folder in the "D"D drive which is the other half of the partitioned hard disc which contains the C drive.

cheers

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Why aren't you saving to an off-drive saver via USB.... Then wiping the C clean?

i use Macrium to image the C drive and then store that on an external disc. I have tried to do a repair installation but right before it completes the very last action, a fault message comes and it rolls right back to "Start" Have not been able to find the reason or fix it.

thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I'm not sure what you are trying to do but use ROBOCOPY to move or copy files.

Thanks for that , i ll definately give that a go.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx

When you save your photos, and that window pops up? In that window, on the left side, should be a favorites shortcut link that quickly selects a folder structure you have been using the most.

Just insert drive g into your computer, open up 'to the folder' and right click the folder you wish to quickly access with just a click of one extra button, and select the option marked "add to favorites."

A shortcut link will be generated in the save folder view, where you can just quickly insert your g drive, select the folder shortcut from the favorites section, and it will automatically navigate itself inside your g drive to the desired folder to save your photos in.

That's all you need to do.

Don't go changing the registry now.

funstatic, I definately do that, thanks

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
in any event i think MS stinks for building a system that does not provide a mechanism for this to occur. Who in this day and age stores all their data in with their operating system which if it crapped itself would lose all their data? its insane.

The fact that you don't know how to do it doesn't mean it can't be done, right?

See if this is what you want.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly but it sounds like you just want to secure your data somewhere other than your system drive.

If that is the case why not just setup an auto backup that will copy all your data to G?? That seems like the easiest way and you don't have to change a bunch of settings within windows.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

yes thats what I do, save to an exteranl drive but i cant do reinstall as l lose programs and use up all my bandwidth downloadking updates again.

thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Um, aren't the operating system (including file manazrgers) stored on the C: drive?

Are you attempting to boot from your G drive instead?

No, none of that sort of thing. I save all my data to external drives as well as the data part of the partioned main disc. I was hoping there might be a way to delete some code or reg edits I could do that would permantly delete all the C drive libaries.

thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Did you see my post?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I see..Ive placed even downloaded programs on to ext. And when looking at the stripped C drive...everything is a new again...minus everything moved.

I surmise when opening any downloaded programs FROM the ext onto the cleaned drive...they want to update...creating the problem for you. Good luck

MS

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: Azureblue

The fact that you don't know how to do it doesn't mean it can't be done, right?

See if this is what you want.

No sorry, I missed it but thanks for poiinting me to it. I will read this later, it certainly sounds promising.

thanks

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

Did you see my post?

I think i just replied to this post but in case its not the same, but I missed it. I have downlaoded the article, so thanks for it and I will definately read this later.

thanks again

top topics

<<   2 >>

join