It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2017 UK General Election RESULTS Thread

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
As a 25 year old who started in a warehouse at minimum wage, and has stuck at the same company for 7 years and attempted to push upwards, moving into the IT department and bringing my wage up to 21K currently (So still below the average for my area, but I like the company and hey money isn't everything) I completely oppose ever increasing tax amounts for those earning more than me.

Until you hit silly banker levels of course.

I don't believe in punishing people for doing well. I work in an office with a contractor who makes more in a day than I do all week. But you know what, I've seen what he does and he's more than earned it. Why should he have that taken away from him after all of the years of hard work he has put in?

P.S. A fully qualified nurse earns more than me. Before April this year I was earning 18.5K so a nurse was destroying my wage. But I have a mortgage, a car, a dog, I don't run out of money constantly, I don't need food banks or any benefits to live a life I'm happy with, I don't have a credit card or an overdraft...I just live within my means. Yes, some people are in true hardship...some others just need to learn how to manage their money better.
edit on 13-6-2017 by umbr360 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: PaddyInf

No your filthy dirsty rotten CEO! All you ill gotten money made over £25k a year needs to be taxed at 100%!

How dare you not live in benfits or minimum wage!

I bet you own 10 sports cars, 15 mansions , 6 yachts and at least 2 jet planes!

And i am sure you masterminded the 2007 financial crash!

/sarc

I think you are confusing Paddy with the filthy dirty rotten unemployed.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Personally I think its a mix of her having little or no personality U turns on policies in the middle of a campaign and people waking up to what they have done to major services in the UK.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Not sure how this Thread has drifted into a debate about UK taxation policy? For the record, the poor pay a higher percentage of their income in tax.

The poorest families in the UK are losing more of their income in tax than any other income group, official statistics have revealed - and the gap between rich and poor is widening.

While the richest fifth of society paid 34.8 per cent of their overall income in tax last year, those at the bottom of the income scale lost 37.8 per cent of their income to the taxman.www.independent.co.uk...

34.8% of £60k+ hurts a whole lot less than 37.8% of £15K (approx. income of over 25's earning minimum wage.)

Back on topic, so far the 'real winners' of the election, ie those most likely to benefit from May's lack of grace, appear to be Michael Gove and the DUP.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm not nursing any more, and haven't for a long time. Much of my family still work for the NHS though, as does my partner.

Your partner is in the NHS at the moment? I see... you realise of course, that under the plans put forward by Labour, your partner would no longer have their pay capped as a public servant? You realise that this would mean that your partner would be getting pay increases, under the Labour plan? You realise also, I assume, that given the intentions of the Labour Party under Corbyn, it would be very likely that as a public sector employee in a critical service like the NHS, your partner would be better off under that plan, even with the tax increase that might come of it, than under ANY other plan on the table, from any party?

It's not my one voice. It is the same for many in the UK. The difference is that those who make their money are less vocal about it than those who don't.

Do not, with respect, talk rot. The Daily Heil, as well as most print media in this country, is being run for the express purpose of peddling the narratives of those who think that they have no greater responsibility to the society of which they are a part, than to pay the taxman a pittance while raking in fortunes, to bank off shore and to do whatever they may to avoid paying the taxman his due. They have also dominated the BBC for the last thirty odd years, much to the detriment of democracy in this country.

Your logic seems to be;

Person works hard.
Person earns lots of money for hard work.
Government takes lots of person's money and gives to others because they don't earn as much.

Why is it wrong that a person who has grafted and is rewarded for it can reap the benefits of their life choices and work ethic?

HAHAHAAAAA! Thats hilarious!

A person who has grafted? If you got where you are today, and even now PHYSICALLY slay yourself in a high pressure, highly physical, zero desk time job, and you are being paid anything worth being paid, then you are a statistical irrelevance. I highly doubt that you work nearly as hard or take nearly as many risks to your physical well being, doing what you do, as people on minimum wage at bulk discounters do, or those working three jobs to fail to be able to afford substandard accommodation do. In fact, I am certain that you do not, because it is impossible to get paid doing an HONEST days WORK. Work does NOT mean sitting in an air conditioned office for twelve hours, tapping keyboards and using a calculator. Work is hard, physically dangerous and winds you up with wrecked knees and elbows, tendon damage in your wrists, impact damage in all the cartilage in your body, countless bone fractures, torn muscles, lack of sleep because of the physical pain and damage inflicted by ones workload, and mental trauma from the simple fact that it seems as if no matter how many hours you pull, or how much work you get done for your corporate masters, or the amount of pain you cause yourself getting it done, you STILL have to borrow to pay the bills, STILL cannot move forward in your life, or even think about entertaining a social life of even the SMALLEST sort.

People on my end work harder for sod all, than ANYONE who has ever occupied an office professionally EVER has, or EVER will. I did more work between the ages of 18 and 19 than ANY prick on a six figure salary has EVER done in his entire miserable, thieving, exploitative life, and you can make any argument you want against that position, but you will be dead wrong to do so.

The people who do earn the most on the UK already contribute most of the tax money yet gain the least from it. For example higher earners are not entitled to any government funded subsidies (which is only logical and I totally agree with), but still pay most of the money that is used to pay for them.

And so they should, because that is an investment. You see, people in business ought to be aware that if they have no customers, they have no business, and without the working people to continue to handle the stuff that the upper crust are too weak, pathetic and soft to do for themselves, they will starve and die because of their fear of manual effort. Their companies will not be able to produce their products, and the number of people to whom they might sell them also will decline, unless they support the society they leech their "earnings" from.

They money they pay in tax promotes the potential customer pool in this country, remaining of a useful size. It is in their interests to pay whatever is requested, to ensure that they still have a business to run, rather than a starving edifice, which will crumble under its own weight without the lifeblood that keeps it running, that is the customer base and the frontline staff. Indeed, CEOs and high flying personages of that sort are simply not necessary. All that is necessary for business to be done, is that there are people to produce and sell a product, and people to buy it. The tower dwellers and their sycophants are totally unnecessary to the process.

The amount that I pay in tax and NI each month is comfortably in 4 figures. I don't begrudge paying this at all, it is my responsibility. What I do begrudge is being told that I am greedy and should pay even more to accommodate those who are less successful.

If you earn it, you should be entitled to pay reasonable taxes and use the rest as you chose.

I am sure you earned your money.

I am certain however that amongst persons on your paygrade, you are the exception not the rule, and that is unarguable when we start to speak of people being paid much larger salaries than yours. No ones work is worth six figures or more. No ones. I do not care how big the company they made is, I do not care how many lives their machinery saved, or how many people per second their equipment can kill, no one can EARN a large paypacket. In fact, I would go as far as to say that you would have to be going some to be worth one million pounds in pay over the course of an entire working life. Pretty much everyone who has ever done it, or will ever do that, is in the position they are in largely because they are good at backstabbing their way to the top, because they are amoral dirt, not because they have marketable skills besides. The whole idea of corporate existence needs doing away with, boardrooms made a thing of the past. There must one day come a time when the existence of executive status dissolves, leaving only the worker and the consumer, taking turns to to done or the other thing.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: crazyewok

You might want to adjust for the legal costs of enforcing tax law on the companies who have been controlling our country and our leadership for the last thirty years. These are rich companies with lawyers in such number and of such potency that they are equivalent to tactical nuclear weapons, in terms of how effective they can be if correctly deployed.

So because its hardwork you want to just pick on the soft targets instead.....the upper middle class......

Typical soclalist. Cant go for the true elite so take your anger and frustration out on the proffesional middle classes.
edit on 13-6-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   

And once more I am forced to ask, WHAT BLOODY MIDDLE CLASS?

Explain to me how the term middle class has any meaning, when members of it are in the top fifteen percent of earners? Surely that should be top fifty to sixty, perhaps top fifty to seventy percent of earners, unless the term Middle Class has about as much basis in reality as bloody Middle Earth has!?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

And you reveal you true colours.

You do have jealousy or at least hatred for those who studied at school got a useful STEM degree and have gone into well paid scientific or technical jobs.

And YES you can get paid good money for hard work. Was paid 60k a year as microbiologist at coca cola Involved crawling around industrial machines on my hands and knees dodging jets of steam taking water samples working 12 hours shifts.

I am not responsible for your poor life choices.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
As a grafter in heavy engineering myself for over 25 years(retired from that about 5 years ago) i recently had the opportunity to work alongside a mate doing IT work (60k a year)..Basically i was counting chairs in a uni building to see how many people on average would be using wifi. It also involved carrying his tripod and pulling his Peli case for half an hour.
Easiest days graft i have ever done and probably the best pay i have ever made considering the workload. Started around ten and by 14:00 hours was sitting in the students union supping a pint and a JD and coke whilst he took a conference call.

I look forward to many more days at the IT pitface in the near future.

It's that old saying. The harder you graft the less money you earn.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

And YES you can get paid good money for hard work. Was paid 60k a year as microbiologist at coca cola Involved crawling around industrial machines on my hands and knees dodging jets of steam taking water samples working 12 hours shifts.

First lesson in hard graft school....Make sure the machine is switched off and can't be switched back on whilst you are in it.

On your hands and knees dodging jets of steam. Fortune favours the brave, eh.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

A person who has grafted? If you got where you are today, and even now PHYSICALLY slay yourself in a high pressure, highly physical, zero desk time job, and you are being paid anything worth being paid, then you are a statistical irrelevance

I am certain that you do not, because it is impossible to get paid doing an HONEST days WORK.

Work does NOT mean sitting in an air conditioned office for twelve hours, tapping keyboards and using a calculator.

People on my end work harder for sod all, than ANYONE who has ever occupied an office professionally EVER has, or EVER will. I did more work between the ages of 18 and 19 than ANY prick on a six figure salary has EVER done in his entire miserable, thieving, exploitative life,

No ones work is worth six figures or more. No ones

would go as far as to say that you would have to be going some to be worth one million pounds in pay over the course of an entire working life. Pretty much everyone who has ever done it, or will ever do that, is in the position they are in largely because they are good at backstabbing their way to the top, because they are amoral dirt, not because they have marketable skills besides. T

These quotes show the twisted libral mind of entitlement......

Ok here is how I made my money.

I left school with £50 in the bank.

I got my student loans and went to university and got a degree in Bioscience. Paid my way by flipping burgers in a 3rd rate football stadium.
Did 6 months of unpaid work at a pharma company.
work experience gained me a opening at coca cola.
Contract ended and worked at a pharma company.
After 2 years of work I left and went to start my own company up in chemical supply.
Made a few hundred grand and sold company due to ill health.
Now work part time as a Science teacher in state schools earning 16k a year.
I am 29.

No silver spoon, no back stabbing, no dishonesty. Just made good decisions and worked hard and kept myself clear of the law.

And yet I am the enemy?

I guess comrade I am the first up against that wall to be shot!

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

First lesson in hard graft school....Make sure the machine is switched off and can't be switched back on whilst you are in it.

On your hands and knees dodging jets of steam. Fortune favours the brave, eh.

Actaully was the best job I ever had. Mainly because I had a great team and it was a welcoming working enviroment.

Loved it!

And no turning the machine off! Noooo the coke must flow.....

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

I have not MADE any poor life choices. I did not have any choice as to where I went to school, nor any real choice as to how much to apply myself to my studies. Concentrating on anything other than survival at the places I was "educated" would have gotten me life changing injuries or death, so I picked bloody well, given my options.

And what is more, I have no problem with people getting educated and getting good work as a result of it. But you MUST and better bloody learn QUICKLY to accept that the vast, overwhelming majority of high paying work is not actual graft, but wafty, weak, piss peddling that happens while buttock never leaves an office chair, and that is not acceptable. You may have good honest work which makes use of your skills base, but again, you are not the rule. Work which means anything, has actual value to the doing of it, AND pays decently IS rare, NOT common, and that MUST change.

A person working a simple, but hard job IS worth a working wage, and if that means more taxes for those who are already well off, then that is too bad, but no concern of mine what so ever. If it concerns you, you have your priorities wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I went to a # comprehensive too.

In a grammer area, so only the dregs went to the state school.

Using a bad school as a excuse is poor at best.

Most in that 60k-150k got there money through honest work, good desions and abit of luck.

Its the 150k+ you want to direct your hate at. They are the bankesters, overpaid CEOs ect.

Here is the problem with you communists.
You want to drag everyone down to your level.

How about lifting people up to my level.

And you dont like the low pay of hard labour? Get a another job then!

edit on 13-6-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Crazyewok does us a favour................... Set up a political party. You speak more sense than any liar politician does these days. You'd get my vote straight away and I'm sure many more too

I went to a # comprehensive too.

In a grammer area, so only the dregs went to the state school.

Using a bad school as a excuse is poor at best.

Most in that 60k-150k got there money through honest work, good desions and abit of luck.

Its the 150k+ you want to direct your hate at. They are the bankesters, overpaid CEOs ect.

Here is the problem with you communists.
You want to drag everyone down to your level.

How about lifting people up to my level.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You guys 'n gals had your chance the last two or three decades. We've seen how that worked out.

en.wikipedia.org...

Communists dragging people down... yesterdays delusional Cold Warrior?
Meanwhile someone else is gobbling up all the wealth, how about lifting people up now?
edit on 13-6-2017 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

What you have to realise is that not everyone has the mental capacity to seek or carry out higher paid work.

How about people with learning disabilities or low I Q's. ?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Balls my good man, utter poppycock as usual.

I am not making excuses. What I AM doing is pointing out that your outlook on life comes from the fact that alongside having a work ethic precisely as good as mine and no bloody better, thank you very much, you got fantastically lucky alongside that. If you deny that, then you are not being very honest with yourself, now are you?

You had to get the right opportunities, it is not as if ANYONE can MAKE opportunities, you had to fall over them, fate had to smile on you a damned sight more than it does on most, to allow you to even get your education. Again, you can deny it if you must, but you will be a liar if you do. Its disingenuous to call it a little bit of luck, because a huge, gargantuan truck load of it is what is required to get where you are in such a short space of time!

And as for communism, I am not a communist.

I am, however, insistent that luck be removed from all equations, so that effort equals success, regardless of what the extraneous circumstances are which surround the situation, including place of birth and education, place of residence, and the like. I want everyone who puts in the hours of solid graft, to be paid a REAL wage which has proper relevance, for everyone working proper jobs in this country to be paid enough to LIVE on not just exist on, without having to have the favour of fortune, as you have had, and as everyone who has ever succeeded at anything had to have in order to make it damned well work.

And I do not have a problem with you crazyewok, but I do have a problem with the fact that you do not appreciate that but for the grace of fortune, you would be in the same hell I am in. Nor, from you comment with regard to me getting a different job, do you have a clue what the real world feels like to live in, or what most people go through as a result of living in it. I am happy for you, but you need to get reconnected with the real cost of living the hard way, if you think its that easy, or even possible for most people.

Get your head out of the clouds for five seconds, and you might be able to resolve some of the ground level detail I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I am, however, insistent that luck be removed from all equations, so that effort equals success, regardless of what the extraneous circumstances are which surround the situation, including place of birth and education, place of residence, and the like.

How would you go about achieving this?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

What you have to realise is that not everyone has the mental capacity to seek or carry out higher paid work.

How about people with learning disabilities or low I Q's. ?

Are you saying the natural talent should not give a person an advantage?

new topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join