It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2017 UK General Election RESULTS Thread

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: McGinty

originally posted by: EvillerBob
...Minimum wage is actually £7.50. If it went to £10 then I'd be paying less people.

And that justifies paying people so little?

If it's that simple then perhaps we should introduce a maximum wage so you wouldn't have to pay fewer people.

How about we introduce a system were people can be paid at a level that reflects their value to the company.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
No it isn't that's for people aged over 25 only!
www.gov.uk...
And Corbyn said that he make pay the same across all ages.

That makes him an even bigger retard than I first thought.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnlightenedSheep
a reply to: 83Liberty

It's wrong to discriminate by age. Should be paid for the job and experience. Corbyn is right.

#JC4PM

Tell me how you can build up 20 years of experience when you're only 18. Paying based on experience (which I agree with) is rather predicated on discriminating by age.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Corbyn is right. Pay people for their work output and experience. Age discrimination is wrong.

#JC4PM

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Full minimum wage is age 25. How do you get 20 years experience aged 25? Takes a day to learn to be a litter picker.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Corbyn is right. Pay people for their work output and experience. Age discrimination is wrong.

#JC4PM

I agree that people should be paid for output and experience.

Building up experience requires time. People with more experience are going to be... wait for it... older.

So, is the right to pay them more (because they have more experience) or is it wrong (because I'm discriminating against the younger candidate because their age means they simply can't have as much experience)?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Full minimum wage is age 25. How do you get 20 years experience aged 25? Takes a day to learn to be a litter picker.

You do realise than some jobs require more training and experience than picking up litter?

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Yes I realise. How about the 18 year old industrious litter picker? Should be paid less for being 18? I think it is wrong.

#JC4PM

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
How about a fair days wage for a fair days work, for everyone - pretty simple really.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

a reply to: 83Liberty

It's wrong to discriminate by age. Should be paid for the job and experience. Corbyn is right.
#JC4PM

I agree but for another reason... It costs the same to live regardless what age you are, with a few exceptions like living with parents etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yes I realise. How about the 18 year old industrious litter picker? Should be paid less for being 18? I think it is wrong.

#JC4PM

That's for his employer to decide.

Why should that specific situation result in forcing wages up in other sectors where it doesn't apply? NOT having that rule doesn't stop the employer paying more if they think the work has the value.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
How about a fair days wage for a fair days work, for everyone - pretty simple really.

The concept is fine, the problem is defining "fair days wage" and "fair days work". I say the free market should define it, while others say Jezebel Corbyn should define it. Therein lies the conflict.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

#JC4PM

its set that way to reflect the fact that while an 18 yr old, living with parents can cope on x amount, 25 year old people tend to have to pay for their own house and often have kids.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
What have I started here lol
Maybe someone should make a separate minimum wage thread.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I lived independently from age 18. How about care leavers who lose support aged 18? Kicked out by social services then work hard as a litter picker. Work just as hard as the 25 yr old. Paid less for being 18. It is wrong. Jeremy Corbyn is right.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I just disagree with age discrimination. I agree with employer freedom regarding output and benefit/cost to company. I do not agree that age alone should be a payscale factor.
The 18 yr old council litter picker should be paid the same as the 25 year old. Paid for performance and job role. Not paid based on age alone. Jeremy Corbyn is right. Age discrimination is wrong.

#JC4PM

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Unfortunately we live in a world that is obsessed with profit and greed - these values sometimes come at a cost.

How any working person is supposed to survive on minimum wage is beyond me.

Yes, enterprise, ingenuity and shear bloody hard graft deserve to be rewarded but the gap between high and low earners in todays society is a national disgrace.

Young apprentices etc have always earned less than time served tradesmen etc, and I understand and more or less agree with that - but its unfair to pay them what is in effect little more than state benefits just because they are young.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
How about we introduce a system were people can be paid at a level that reflects their value to the company.

I've worked in companies where, if that were introduced, the owner and management would get paid next to nothing, so marginal was their contribution.

£10 per hour is not excessive. Corbyn's right.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
What have I started here lol
Maybe someone should make a separate minimum wage thread.

I think there is some unwritten law on ATS that minimum wage threads have to be about the US.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I just disagree with age discrimination. I agree with employer freedom regarding output and benefit/cost to company. I do not agree that age alone should be a payscale factor.
The 18 yr old council litter picker should be paid the same as the 25 year old. Paid for performance and job role. Not paid based on age alone. Jeremy Corbyn is right. Age discrimination is wrong.

#JC4PM

Age alone - I agree with the principle. My point is that some things are inherently tied up with age - experience being one of them. There's no short cut for experience, so paying more based on experience automatically means paying more to people who are older.

new topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join