It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American gun culture

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: uninspired
a reply to: SudoNim

You are of course entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine. I respect those that don't like/want guns, the problem I have is that alot of those people are of the mind that no one should have guns. I certainly don't try and push guns on anyone. Living elsewhere they may be more likely to get stabbed or raped. My kids know guns are not toys, because I let them handle them the "wow" factor isn't there, it's not some forbidden fruit. I also don't leave them laying around for my kids "play" with.

The issue is all gun-owners have this "it won't be me" attitude. Some people will misuse guns or some parents will leave them around and they'll be taken, but "it won't be me". But it happens, time and time again, from people who make the exact same statements as you have.

I just, personally, don't know why you'd take the risk, there is nothing to gain from it. But I do respect it is your decision and that you feel that it is the correct decision in terms risk/reward of having them.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
With all the gun violence in America these days I think it's time something was done about it .

Let's face it, one or even 10000 bad gun owners make all gun owners bad. They are dangerous, dangerous people with dangerous weapons.

Its time we recognize the enemy and deal with them before it is too late and we all get shot to bits, I for one will not sit by idly and let this threat gain power and take over.

We are at war, the enemy has infiltrated us in our sleep and we are now pay the price for our complacency .

It is time to put an end to mass shootings in schools, our neighbourhoods, our shopping centres. Enough is enough the world needs to be rid of these criminals.

No Matter which religion you follow, whether that be conceal carry or open carry or any other type of carrying there is your time is coming to an end and as citizens of the earth we stand united against your facism and intolerance.

Fire away

Two words. MIDDLE FINGER

If you are so scared leave. I hear antartica has virtually no guns at all. Oh but what about the children? The momnet you start trying to change the constitution by taking away our rights to protection from anything we call a threat you cease being a patriot and become a facist.
edit on 17000000ppam by yuppa because: amended post

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

a reply to: JDeLattre89

I guess you heard that whooooosh sound too huh.

My point has very little do with guns, read between the lines.

Then you my friend are very bad at making a point.

You spend the first 2/3 of the post talking about the problem being gun violence, and then proceed in the last 1/3 of the post to say the reason behind gun violence is gun owners (and the religious nuts who own guns, at least that is your implications in making it as gun ownership is a religion).

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

The issue is all gun-owners have this "it won't be me" attitude. Some people will misuse guns or some parents will leave them around and they'll be taken, but "it won't be me". But it happens, time and time again, from people who make the exact same statements as you have.

So . . . should we ban knives, ropes, electrical cords, lawnmower blades, etc .... or maybe just ban everything and put everybody into padded rooms so as to prevent the misuse of anything.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

By that same logic however, should you not let your kid drive a vehicle? They *might* get in a fatal accident. Ban Alcohol, they *might* be hit by a drunk driver. The truth of the matter is you can't protect everyone from everything. Sure there are negligent gun owners, so perhaps the punishment should be more severe for when that causes a death.

At what point do you draw the line? The risk isn't worth it to you on gun ownership, to me it is.

I just did a quick serach and from here says there were 6,599 deaths from firearms (accidental and otherwise) and almost 13k injuries in 2016 from guns.

Conversely according to this site an estimated 88k die each year due to alcohol. Some more interesting alcohol related info here.

I think me and mine are more likely to be killed/injured by a drunk driver than by being shot. The world is full of what if's, can't go about worrying about every little thing, that's no way to live.

Do you by chance drink alcohol? If so I bet you say you would never drink and drive right? That's what they all say and yet...

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Exactly, I agree 100%, where do you draw the line?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: uninspired

My line is simple. If the government is allowed to have it, then so am I. And that is the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: uninspired

By that same logic however, should you not let your kid drive a vehicle? They *might* get in a fatal accident. Ban Alcohol, they *might* be hit by a drunk driver. The truth of the matter is you can't protect everyone from everything. Sure there are negligent gun owners, so perhaps the punishment should be more severe for when that causes a death.

At what point do you draw the line? The risk isn't worth it to you on gun ownership, to me it is.

I just did a quick serach and from here says there were 6,599 deaths from firearms (accidental and otherwise) and almost 13k injuries in 2016 from guns.

Conversely according to this site an estimated 88k die each year due to alcohol. Some more interesting alcohol related info here.

I think me and mine are more likely to be killed/injured by a drunk driver than by being shot. The world is full of what if's, can't go about worrying about every little thing, that's no way to live.

Do you by chance drink alcohol? If so I bet you say you would never drink and drive right? That's what they all say and yet...

The risk of driving is outweighed by the reward of travel. Or so it seems.

There is no reward from owning a gun yet plenty of risk.

Alcohol is an interesting subject, I don't personally drink but not for that reason. I can't answer that question, I guess people consider the reward higher than the risk, yet that is morally questionable.

Your are probably (not sure) more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than a gunshot in America. But you can reduce the risk of your kids being shot if you didn't have guns. Guns you have no need for.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim

Your are probably (not sure) more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than a gunshot in America. But you can reduce the risk of your kids being shot if you didn't have guns. Guns you have no need for.

If you exclude suicides, You are six times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by a murderer with a gun.

The chance of "your kids getting shot" is less than 1 in 300, lifetime. They are more likely to be killed in a house fire.

The fact is, if you look at the non-firearm homicide rate in the USA, it is still THREE TIMES that of the UK. We have a murder problem, totally apart from the gun problem.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

You don't need a gun...until you need a gun, that's the problem. There is a reward for owning a gun, have you ever shot a gun? I don't know how to explain it, and it may seem odd, but it is relaxing to me in the sense that when I go to the range, the rest of the world just fades away, I focus on what I'm doing. When I conceal carry, my mindset is more along the lines of avoiding confrontation, I'm more inclined to let things slide.

To say there is no reward may be true for some...I find golf to be non rewarding, however many people do, both sides are right.

I would also argue that if I did not own guns, there are other people that do, my kids being familiar with guns, may in fact prevent something bad from happening were they to come across one out in the wild as it were, or at someone else's house. It is not a black and white subject to be sure.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: redempsh

If you exclude suicides, You are six times more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than by a murderer with a gun.

The chance of "your kids getting shot" is less than 1 in 300, lifetime. They are more likely to be killed in a house fire.

The fact is, if you look at the non-firearm homicide rate in the USA, it is still THREE TIMES that of the UK. We have a murder problem, totally apart from the gun problem.

Where is the six times more likely figure from and for? Is that in general(world) or America?
And why did you limit it to a murdered with a gun? And not just by gun in general?

House fires are also illegal. Do you teach your kids how to make house fires?

I agree America has a murder problem, it may be the cause of the gun problem. I think they are heavily linked.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Wow...what a thought from the OP. Funny, huh? "Fire away"? Sarcasm and you mark your thread negatively....perhaps your intention....

In response to the thread topic...Nope. Just the opposite. Look at the UK...they now really need to arm themselves even moreso when forever was screamed their police needed no guns. Now they do...and the people.

The weapons have become knives, cars, trucks, and the other day...a hammer. Guns dont kill people...people kill people.

They will use anything...any-thing...including cars and knives, hammers and rocks.....So, take away the worlds moving vehicles, cars, trucks, bikes, boats and planes...and empty every kitchen of utensiles.

Great idea....I wouldnt be worrying about devices used...but humanity's need to express themselves with violence against each other...

MS
Licensed Carrier

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

So . . . should we ban knives, ropes, electrical cords, lawnmower blades, etc .... or maybe just ban everything and put everybody into padded rooms so as to prevent the misuse of anything.

Do knives, ropes, electrical cords, lawnmower blades etc have other primary purposes? Do guns?

Such a moronic comment, educate yourself and then return.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

My line is simple. If the government is allowed to have it, then so am I. And that is the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution.

So you think you are allowed to have nuclear weapons? Clown.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Do knives, ropes, electrical cords, lawnmower blades etc have other primary purposes? Do guns?

Such a moronic comment, educate yourself and then return.

I could argue knives or a sharpened edge existed for hunting first, so the purpose being to kill, secondly for cutting what you have killed. Just as a knife is just a tool so is a gun, which can be used for hunting and target shooting, as well as a weapon. Anything can be used as a weapon. My guns primary use is not shooting people, I've fired many many rounds not one of which was directed at a person. I've cut many things with a knife, rope, food, etc...but never a person. I've tied many knots, but never with the intent to bind or kill someone.

People kill people using tools, some are better than others to that purpose.
edit on 8-6-2017 by uninspired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

No one should have nuclear weapons, but the 2nd amendment is there so that the people are armed such that the government cannot steam roll them.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
My ownership of guns has many rewards.

Target shooting provides entertainment, proficiency, and stress-relief.

Varmint shooting keeps pests such as coyotes from harming my pets and my neighbors' livestock.

Having guns kept responsibly in the house provides security and peace of mind on my rural property.

Carrying guns outside my home provides another tool in my toolbox when it comes to self-defense in the nearby city, which has a moderate violent crime rate.

Where gun owners get aggravated and dig in is when we are punished or have our rights abridged by ignorant people.

As far as your argument about Muslims = Gun Owners, that's weak. Again you make generalizations that all gun owners or Americans are against Islam or Muslims practicing their religion.

Just because someone owns a gun doesn't mean they will use it unlawfully, just as a person being Muslim doesn't mean they are a terrorist. BOTH arguments are fallicious.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I for one will not sit by idly and let this threat gain power and take over.

Sure you won't.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So you think you are allowed to have nuclear weapons? Clown.

As a matter of fact yes. If the government is allowed to do so then so is its citizens which gives it no more power then they reserve themselves. Ah, the beauty of the constitution.

Now, for the extreme you mentioned, there are some issues with money and resources. It seems that the people capable of such tend to be smarter then governments and spend their money on better things than nuclear arsenals.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This is America. You can leave and join the rest of the world. Don't let the wall hit you on the way out.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join