It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986
There were 900 stabbings in NYC last year by April 4th. NYC has a population of 8.5 million.
Looks like in 2015 & 2016, Germany took in somewhere around 1.1 million refugees.
Let's do some quick back of the napkin math here.
* 900 stabbings in 94 days = 9.57 stabbings per day.
* That's about 1 per 888k people, per day or .113636... per 100k people per day.
* So a population of 1.1 million NYCers at that rate would work out to be about 1.25 stabbings per day.
Yesterday was the 158th day of the year. That works out to be what? 158*1.25 = 197.5 stabbings for a population of 1.1 million NYCers.
And of course, that's just the entrees from 2015 & 2016 so the population of refugees is certainly larger (the Asylum Information Database site is down for maintenance). And let's keep in mind that these are refugees. That there are disproportiately more males than females and younger people than old.
The proplem is that by disproportionately focusing on these stories, you easily create a distorted view and once you have it, you can start looking for "explanations." It's a common bias in the media under normal circumstances. When it comes to the politically contentious issue of refugees, it's even worse.
originally posted by: wheresthebody
So many people here seem so afraid, it must be exhausting.
originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Bit more info:
- the refugee is in hospital now, recovering from self-inflicted wounds with said knife. Guy has a lot of psych problems, it seems.
- the refugee came from syria, Aleppo. Have you seen "Last Men from Aleppo" (IMDB)? It ran on tv here recently. I would go mad if my family would have lived there.
- it happened at a specialized center for PTSD. How many veterans have you heard of who came back traumatized?
I do not like or even can understand his actions, but he was obviously a troubled man under treatment.
originally posted by: TheNewsMan
The amount of damage these refugees are doing is almost unfathomable. Can we please stop this, if not for our sake, for the sake of our children and grandchildren? I'd rather they not live in an environment indistinguishable from the Middle East.
Hey smartest guy in the room,
Only you believe your the smartest guy in the room.
*Whispers* - psst.. I don't give a snippity-doo what you think.