It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Official Becomes its own Independent Nation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

There are many things states should have autonomy over.
Foreign relations is NOT one of them, for good reason.
It would be dangerous for the country if each individual state made their own agreements with foreign countries.
This is why it is forbidden by the Constitution.

States can make their own environmental laws, and I think they should have that right.
But they can not get other countries involved.

edit on 6/8/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/8/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu
How many of those FSA's were reviewed/approved by Congress?

None, according to the abstract.

In all honesty if there are any that were not approved they should be nulled and voided, and the state stripped of benefit.

Then I suggest you join the other poster in filing an amicus brief on behalf of all the aggrieved parties and take this to the Supreme Court who can strike down this non-binding agreement.

Just because a certain behavior has been going on without consequence does not make the behavior correct.

What is the consequence for not keeping up one's end of a non-binding agreement? Twenty metaphorical lashes?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

They already are, they just don't know it.
"Leftist Commie Bravos drops nuke on city full of Leftist Commie Bravos."
Has a nice headline ring to it don't it ?

Buck

edit on 8-6-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
Felt like this really deserves a re-quote.

No one is going to read it. It's long and filled with lots of words and stuff, like these:

Jennetten, supra note 13, at 144-45 (“In addition to enforceable compacts, many states have entered into non-binding environmental covenants with foreign powers. The Constitutionality of these unconsented covenants has not been challenged, and they provide states with another avenue of foreign relations power.”

Derp.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Why not just ban gasoline and diesel fuel (and all petro consumable fuels) in California? Lol problem solved

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Oh really?

Care to show me cite of law on that? Care to show me precedence for a State being prevented from entering into such an agreement with another nation, historically?

I do not see any such thing being quoted by those opposing this move. The probable reason for this, is that there is no such precedence speaking against it, that actually, many agreements occur between states and other nations, without so much as the merest sliver of aggravation expressed by anyone.

So we are right back where we started, with some people expressing that their respect for states rights only exists, so long as those states are using those rights to promote regressive right wing or far right policies.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

I hope Oregon Washington California form our own nation. The west coast is holding up all you red states who voted for fuhrer Trump. We are sick and tired of your narrow-minded self-serving bigotry. America is going down because of your actions and behaviors.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

I hope Oregon Washington California form our own nation. The west coast is holding up all you red states who voted for fuhrer Trump. We are sick and tired of your narrow-minded self-serving bigotry. America is going down because of your actions and behaviors.

Three versus 47. cool. Just remember when the Northerners crush you like the south all the times you people dissed on the south. welcome to the club.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
a reply to: randyvs

Interesting observation, my devious friend Randy. Thanks for sharing bud. Are you trying to tell us that, from observing this image, it appears to you as if this particular construction job appears to be on some kind of a rush? Because they normally do not put up so many sections of concrete wall like that at once? Is that what you are implying?

What I'm implying my fellow member ( and thank you for the reply )
is that I live here and drive truck across the nation to Pennsylvania
and back to Cali. And the number of tilt ups is unmatched by any
state I've seen along the 40. And north on the 81 all the way
up into Vermont. For along time I couldn't figure it out. But this
thread has me thinking. So. California is booming with the type of
buildings that are good as gold for the trucking industry.
Commerce! Catch my drift?
edit on Rpm60817v55201700000057 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Why not just ban gasoline and diesel fuel (and all petro consumable fuels) in California? Lol problem solved

Maybe because you need to switch over to renewable fuel sources first before removing the old ones.

I would have thought that was pretty much self evident on how things work.

Clearly the future is going to have to be largely renewable energy sources rather than fossil fuels. Fossil fuel reserves run out and become too expensive to extract and process and take far too long to be replaced naturally. They also are very toxic to the environment. Renewable sources of energy is simply going to happen whether we want it to or not.

Avoiding that reality is like building your house in the path of the hurricane. There is no reason to do that unless you choose your own destruction and you have other choices, so why do it???

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

States have collaborated with foreign states when it comes to education and such for years.

Can you provide a link to back up this statement please, because I cannot think of another time that states haves collaborated with foreign governments prior to this happening

****Found my answer already, disregard all above*****

edit on 8-6-2017 by caf1550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I think this is a wonderful idea. Perhaps the Hollywood elite can pool their resources and come up with the 3 billion or whatever number Obama pledged to give them, thus saving the planet and shaming Trump all at the same time.

I look forward to reading about Leo Decrapio and his special friends spending their extra disposable income on such a worthy cause.

I am not sure California has the liquid assets to be of a great deal of help on its own.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What is the consequence for not keeping up one's end of a non-binding agreement? Twenty metaphorical lashes?

Look, a virtual smack down isn't something any of us want to witness here, so let's just all metaphorically step away from the virtual table.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Just speaking of California, you need to spend a little time educating some of the other counties on how they are supposed to think.
www.politico.com...

remember, as you look through that link, the Red is Trump and the Blue is Hillary.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Look, a virtual smack down isn't something any of us want to witness here, so let's just all metaphorically step away from the virtual table.

Literally.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Literally.

Oh no you didn't.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

California has the 6th largest economy in the world. Yes the world. That's one state in the US that has a larger economy than most other countries in the world.

But we all get it. You don't like Cali. Fine. Don't like it then. Don't come here. We won't miss you if you don't visit.

Not sure why you think anyone cares whether or not you like Cali. anyway. Sure doesn't stop you from buying the food we produce and supply to everyone.

You sit there and talk sh*t but without us around you're life would be much worse than it is now and you'd want us back whether or not you'll admit it.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

California has the 6th largest economy in the world. Yes the world. That's one state in the US that has a larger economy than most other countries in the world.

But we all get it. You don't like Cali. Fine. Don't like it then. Don't come here. We won't miss you if you don't visit.

Not sure why you think anyone cares whether or not you like Cali. anyway. Sure doesn't stop you from buying the food we produce and supply to everyone.

You sit there and talk sh*t but without us around you're life would be much worse than it is now and you'd want us back whether or not you'll admit it.

Woa, there cowboy. You seem to be inadvertently triggered by something you didn't grasp. re-read my post. Sure it may have been a little snarky about Hollywood pinheads, but I tried to agree that this is a good thing. I even offered the obligatory Trump bashing opportunity. If CA has 3 billion to give to the Paris agreement, then super, I will stand corrected. If not, well then, .......

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Oh here we go again. Once again I must be Triggered because I don't agree with what you say.

Fantastic way to put an end to any conversation. Which is fine with me. Consider it over. You're now safe from any other opinions.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

So does the states. literally mountains of it.

remember how happy the coal miners are about pulling out of the paris accord?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join