It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a Millennial I have never seen the economy as good as it is right now

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Notice how they don't track at all?

Hmm yea weird huh... is there less people in our country??

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Everytime the government get's involved in the free market they create more of a problem than they solve.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

And every time a monopoly exists in a free market they create a huge problem.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I know that's why we are where we are.. we no longer enforce anti-trust laws AND the government gets it's greasy hands in everything.

I believe in anti-trust and ending monopolies as much as I believe in the free market and yes I realize what the implications of that is.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I get it, and I think we agree.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

For suburban areas Actually attending class and caring more about being educated than caring about social media, video games, looking/ acting "cool", being defiant to authority in order to look cool amongst their peers, and so on. The biggest problem that I witnessed first hand is that the same kids that didn't care about school are the same ones complaining about the minimum wage.

When in fact there are plenty of $10-$15 jobs available in most areas . the problem with that being many of these uneducated 20 somethings
feel that they are above some of the tasks required in these jobs. Whether it be a little dirty or just plain old hard work I have seen so many people come and go because of it it's sickening.
So they then get some menial part time super easy job and then think they are somehow entitled to more money.

Rural areas are somewhat The same but opposite as many areas forgo education for manual labor and/ or farm work.

There are of course exceptions to both sides. Unfortunately just not enough to make a difference as our education rates fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

I can remember my dad saying the exact same thing in the early 1990's.

The young'ins are smart-they can see the college money making scheme. And they do not like it. They also know it can be different, but the whole system has been hijacked and everything is a profit center and it is by design. And we are not talking about a reasonable charge for college-books-rent-food-medical-auto insurance-taxes....

Absolutely everything that can be charged-is and it is maxed out.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well, America is becoming Walmartized. Walmart is the nation's largest employer, at over 2.2 million jobs.

With that? Many of those people qualify for SNAP food assistance...and turn right around and spend it at where? You guessed it! Walmart!

And unless you're working white-collar for Amazon, it doesn't pay all that much better.

Look, not everyone can double-major and have a master's degree. There simply aren't enough slots for people with that kind of education. Does that mean that those people who cook our food, clean our bathrooms, and stock our shelves shouldn't be able to stand on their own without public assistance?

Someone has to do those jobs. Just because you aren't one of those people doesn't mean they aren't important in daily life.
edit on 7-6-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Great post.

It's called a living wage. And it is poison to politicians to even think it.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oh and I find some irony in this...

"Pull yerself up by them bootstraps!"

You people do realize that's impossible to literally do, right? The next time you tie your shoes sit down, and try to pull yourself up by your laces.

It's impossible.

The saying is meant to be ironic and used ironically, not as some kind of conservative mantra.

And this "bootstrap" often means going to college...the same "liberal indoctrination centers" the people saying, "get educated!" complain about.

Oh, the irony...

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

My point is that entry level minimum wage jobs (burger flipping and the like) are not and should not be seen as permanent career choices(unless they go into management) or should even be considered by any adult that has bills to pay.

To me I consider those jobs as the type that should be meant to prepare young people for the real world and real work and as such should remain a low wage job. Raising the minimum wage only works so much before the price of goods go up to match it. Creating a vicious perpetual cycle. A cycle that can only be broken/ fixed? through an educated and skilled workforce.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Great post.

It's called a living wage. And it is poison to politicians to even think it.

Well, yeah...I guess that's a good way to describe it!

Maybe if wages kept up with the rampant runaway inflation ... our buying power has drastically decreased in the last few decades.

Rent in a lot of places can easily exceed 50% of someone's monthly income, leaving very little else for food, transportation, clothing, cleaning supplies, insurance for any old car they may have. And that's even for people who make above minimum wage!

I think it's not solely a minimum wage issue...it's a "prices are to damn high!" issue as well. Where's that meme of that guy shouting it when I need it?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Root cause is fractional reserve lending and the De-tethering from a precious metal backed currency.

Of course there is a ton of off shoots that contribute to this goat screw we are now watching unfold.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

Well, if you can think of higher paying jobs for all these non-teens working fast food, by all means list them.

There simply aren't that many high paying, skilled jobs.

And, to make matters worse -- automation is going to cut into those more skilled jobs:

In a widely noted study published in 2013, Carl Benedikt Frey and Michael Osborne examined the probability of computerisation for 702 occupations and found that 47% of workers in America had jobs at high risk of potential automation.

And we're already seeing the effects of this today. Are we not already seeing this? (below)

Economists are already worrying about “job polarisation”, where middle-skill jobs (such as those in manufacturing) are declining but both low-skill and high-skill jobs are expanding. In effect, the workforce bifurcates into two groups doing non-routine work: highly paid, skilled workers (such as architects and senior managers) on the one hand and low-paid, unskilled workers (such as cleaners and burger-flippers) on the other.

economist.com

And so there's going to be two "classes" of workers. And I suppose we should squat on those burger flippers and cleaners?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

It gets complicated, that's for sure. And I'm pretty sure Kansas is an excellent example right now that "trickle down" economics isn't all its cracked up to be...

I think that we (as a society) are smart enough to really take only the best bits of everything we've learned from our experiences and the experiences of other systems/nations....and develop an economic model that rewards hard work, allows upward social mobility, and provides a basic/generic/bare-bones life for everyone.

The problem? We're America! We don't listen to anyone! We're the best! If we didn't invent the idea it has to be utter crap!

(that is, unless we totally change it around and 'Americanize' it...like sushi)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I'm not even talking about college. You don't need a college degree to make $15.00. Hell you barely need a g.e.d. to make that. You just have to be willing to do the daily grind and not be afraid to work hard and get dirty in some cases.

I can almost guarantee that every single person complaining about the minimum wage barely made it through high school, didn't finish school, or took remedial classes and thinks that working 30 hours a week at McDonald's is a tough job. With exceptions of course.

I Do agree that the college system is getting out of hand and something has to be done.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
It seems quite a bit better this spring than it did the last eight or nine years. A lot of people are getting work done on their homes. People seem to finally have got back on their feet a bit, under the last two presidents a lot of people actually put themselves deep in debt but now many are seeming to get back to a reasonable place again financially. But some seem to still be stuck in the economy scam that was going on for twelve or more years yet.

I can't say for sure if it is Trump, it could just be that Obama is gone now. I think people are feeling more like we have a possible future again. The Far left is loosing the battle, they cannot blind everyone forever. They failed on their conditioning. The NWO was not the right way to go.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Raising the minimum wage will eventually cause the price of goods to go up and will never fix the problem. The business owners will not take a pay cut just to pay some easily replaceable person $5 more an hour. If people live in an area where they know there is no jobs. Then it is on them to focus on their education and making it possible to better their lives by moving where the jobs are Or pressuring their local governments to work on bringing in jobs.

Depending on where you live there are plenty of jobs. Just for the hell of it go to indeed.com and look up your city. Hell look up mine if you want to Rockford, Illinois. This is of course not representative of all locations.

I myself have been to many of the cities that have 30 to 40%percent unemployment and it's absolutely horrible seeing people live like that, but it is an unfortunate side effect of capitalism and technological development - causing some cities to thrive while others die - one that can only be curbed by further educating these individuals. So they are the ones maintaining the machines instead of techs from a different country.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: conscientiousobserver

Raising the minimum wage will eventually cause the price of goods to go up and will never fix the problem.

Wrong!
The reality in Germany proves the opossite!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Nobody ever mentioned the proliferation of employment agencies in this entire thread (Indeed and the like are almost solid employment agencies BTW). They take a piece of the pie, along with the employer, before the employee gets paid and keep wages lower than if they weren't involved, and on top of that they claim everyone who even applies to their agency, working or not as an employee and get a giant break on insurance rates. Say it with me "SCAM"...

There are a lot of "subsurface" factors working here that people don't focus on enough to notice...

...Just think if you made enough money at your job (without excessive overtime) to pay your liabilities without insurance. No car insurance, No household insurance, No medical insurance NEEDED because people were paid enough, and managed their money well enough to cover the expense of living without having to participate in a GIANT WEALTH TRANSFER SCHEME like they have to now, just to survive. Wages are being driven down to make it necessary for you to go into debt to justify their creating more fake money, which in turn reduces the value of all of the money in the system, making it necessary to earn more and more until your fricking head explodes

Don't babble about taxes being a wealth transfer scheme like some Trumpanzee, because they aren't, it's what it costs if you want to enjoy good roads and the like. It supports the COMMONS, those things everyone needs to just be. If you think things should be privatized like a lot of crooks and fools do out there you had better do your research instead of agreeing with what you hear on the tube and online. Business is full of # and always have been, that's where those "job killing" regulations some dope incessantly babbles about come from. Think about it...Think "snake oil salesman"...

The banks along with businesses, and government (govt. hasn't always been so corrupt as now) are doing this, all of these schemes are to keep wages low and take as much as possible for as little effort as possible without providing the services promised if at all possible.

Those regulations aren't out there to kill jobs, by the way, they are there to keep business from destroying all of the living space (Commons) on the planet in their pursuit of profits, they are there to keep the pharmaceutical industry from killing people because of bad and not thoroughly tested drugs, they are there to keep people from running over your kids in crosswalks and people needlessly dying because they can't understand inertia enough to wear their seat belts while driving, they are there to keep auto manufacturers from building cars that will get you killed because of shoddy workmanship and /or cutting corners to save costs in order to reap more profit.

Politics, along with business, religious institutions and even the educational system have you thinking the wrong way, focusing on the wrong things.

The rich don't want you to realize they don't work as hard for their money as they would have you think.

GENERAL STRIKE ! ! !.

Sorry for the rant, but going into debt in hopes of getting a job is as hair-brained and ass backward an idea as anyone could have...and a fairly recent development..., and there are only so many management and higher paying type positions to be had unless people are forced into retirement (not a bad idea BTW). And a lot of those jobs, and lower level jobs too, are being replaced by automation. Another thing I don't recall coming up in this thread.

Go ahead, run up a giant debt for education and enjoy working till you're 45 before you see anything more than a "debt slave wage" after payments and paying for the kids and all the xit that goes with it....And then you can save for retirement...

It's set up to make sure you probably won't win (think about it, nobody really wins anyway, not really), and it will stay that way until enough people see it for what it is and refuse to be corralled and herded like cattle as they are now, and agree on something and act on it.

Sorry for the rant.

I make coffee now...

Oh...One last thing...YOUR TAXES DO NOT PAY FOR PEOPLE ON ASSISTANCE...That's just more money created for no reason other than to have an excuse to create more money from nothing, same as foreign aid is...Stop Believing The Bull#e.

edit on ? by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join