It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Special Ops Forces Offered Hefty Bonuses Up To $150,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
In an attempt to reduce the loss of special operations soldiers, the Pentagon is offering up to $150,000 dollars to senior soldiers who re-enlist for six years. An increasing number have been leaving the service to take jobs in the more lucrative private sector. Some 1,500 Navy Seals, Army Special Forces, and Air Force pararescuemen will be eligible. Lesser amount are available based on commitment. Special forces have been increasingly used in conflicts and this effort highlights several programs designed to keep soldiers from leaving when thier enlistments are up.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Senior members of U.S. special operations forces will receive bonuses of up to $150,000 for staying in the military, an increase designed to keep the commandos from bolting to the more lucrative private sector.

The policy, announced by U.S. Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., provides an array of bonuses and incentives to experienced members of Army Special Forces, Navy SEALs, and Air Force pararescuemen, plus a few other specialties.

"We are taking a lead role in the global war on terrorism, and it's just important we do everything we can to support these professionals," Maj. Ken Hoffman, a spokesman for the command, said Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These troops operate in hazardous environments and at great personal risk. They should be compensated for staying in the armed forces. While it sounds like alot upfront it amounts to an extra $25,000 a year for the soldier and their families of well earned money.

[edit on 5-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This war is using a LOT of very expensive "contract security forces" - mercenaries. I've heard that special ops mercs get $2000-$4000 per day - or maybe that's the trainers, or maybe that's what the security company gets. ...But even contract drivers are pulling down big bucks.

...Does anyone have real figures on this? ...If I was in the services and I knew what these other guys were getting paid, I would be seriously po'd. Just as a tax payer, I'm steamed about it. Talk about a funnel, and a seive!

join