It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet: Renaissance inventor, Cornelius Drebbel.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hi all, i like to tell you a little about a not so famous, but i think interesting man in history.

Cornelius Drebbel ( 1572 – 1633) was a renaissance man, an inventor an alchemist and an engineer.
An engraver by trade, he went on to many new paths. Not a well known in modern history, Dutch man Cornelius Drebbel was really a man of many disciplines. He traveled along the royal courts of Europe to display, was hired, or got jailed.

This man invented and or contributed many things of i will name a view:

You like your chicken meat or eggs? Thank Drebbel, he invented the The Egg Incubator ( temperature controlled heat ) One of the first feedback controlled devices. No more need for nature, mass production off egg hatching.

The submarine. Cornelius Drebbel did some demonstrations on the Thames for the king, traveling underwater long distances and according to witnesses at least three hours. ( He made oxygen along the way with some chemicals, some say by burning salpeter)

A clock that will always reset itself to realtime when the sun shines ( even when deliberated disturbed) They also would tell the tides.
Beautiful works of art and machinery.

Related to those clocks were systems and Perpetuum mobiles in many forms. He offered self working fountains and moving musical playing statues to the Bavarian King all with the power of ....
A depiction of one of his clocks on a old painting and drawing:

Here is the first page of his official declaration of the perpetuum motion ( in old Dutch)

But he did not stop there, he also invented the perfect red. That is the perfect color red for dying fabrics.

Enough? Hell no.. you can not be a renaissance man without some alchemy!

I can read (old) Dutch, so my best translation of this front page is:
"Nature and its elements, and how this will create wind, rain, lightening and thunder, and why they serve"

And to top it all of... he also gave the formula to create the "Quinta Essentia" ( the fifth element )

In this one he actually tells how to make the "Quinta Essentia", it is a delicious read for someone like me.
Maybe some day i will try the recipe ; )

Anyway, i hope i shed some light on a person who deserves some credit in history.
I'm not a expert, but i read quite a lot of the man, so if any questions, feel free to ask.

edit on 7-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: Removed some new english

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

star and flag for the effort

he was also part of " the Office of Ordnance of King Charles I Secret Service "

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Nice Post, and an interesting read and find!! S&F

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kibric

Tanks!

He was a man of many trades and shades.

I read some of his correspondence of the time and other works about him, truly intriguing.
Even Galileo comes along in those writings

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I will add this first paragraph of the Quinta Essentica in English, but remember, i translated this on the fly from old Dutch into English and English is not my native language.
Feel free to correct me if anyone knows better.

The Quinta Essentia is an eternal, unchanging, fire resistant, like heaven un-concurable and in all elements a truly completed thing: Plenty-full of warmth, dryness, cold and moisture, above the unbelievable. When you need warmth, it will give you warmth, without noticing the cold, ( which is wondering): Also it does not give warmth to those in need of cooling, where moist is absent, it will bring moist in abundance, without creating drought, this is also true for all other elements and therefore it is sovereign a remedy for all illnesses.

In old Dutch:

De Quinta Essentia is een eeuwich, onveranderlijk, onverbrandelijk, gelijk de Hemel onoverwinnelijk, en in alle Elementen een volkomen ding: seer vol warmte, droochte, koude, en vocht, dat het schier ongelooflijk is. Dan wanneer warmte van noden is, so geeft sy de selven, also dat men (‘t welk seer wonderlijk is) sijn koude niet bemerkt: also ook geene warmte als men die geeft aan sulke die verkoeling begeeren, maar waar vochtigheyt ontbreekt geeft sy de selve
overvloedigh, en nochtans verschijnt geen droochte, en soo gaat het ook met d'andere Qualiteiten der Elementen: derhalven is het ook een souvereine Remedie voor alle krankheden

edit on 7-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: Elementary, my dear Watson

edit on 7-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I could mention he also had a hand in the telescope and microscope... but hey.. that's obvious ; )

World's first airconditioner he did however demonstrated to the King of England by lowering the temperature of the great hall (not a small room) in summer to winter temperatures.

Here is a nice little article in English ( with some colored additions ) but anyway..

Absolute Zero and the Conquest of Cold

More!

edit on 7-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Best and most interesting read of the day. Thanks and nice job EO.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Some addition on the "perfect red":

'Around the year 1606/7 Cornelis Jacobszoon Drebbel developed a new dye, the ‘perfect red’. A deep scarlet red dye, the most beautiful color red that existed. He manufactured the pigment by adding ‘kings’ water / ‘aqua regia’ and tin to a mixture of cochineal, an organic pigment, that is produced by processing large quantities of feminine coccus insects.'

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Drebbel is also on the moon : )

On the moon at -40,9 degrees latitude and 49 degrees longitude in the Clementine system, a crater with a diameter of 30 km is named Drebbel: one of the first Dutchmen on the moon. A nice token of his immortality.

He was in Disney World in Orlando, at Epcot in the Pavilion the Living Seas, a picture of Drebbel and his sub-marine were at the entrance, now replaced by Nemo and his friends.

Drebbel also figures in Startrek, the four Musqueteers and an episode of Sealab.
edit on 8-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
To give you an impression how "famous' his perpetuum mobile was in those days, is by looking at oil paintings from rich people in the 16th century.
I still can't believe no one of these instruments seems to have survived. I'm still hoping that one day in some castle they find one of those in a dark corner.
There are countless painting on witch the trained eye can spot a Drebbel perpetuum mobile.
These images provided below will proof the object actually existed, because they are not the subject, just in the "shot"
Here I
you some examples of paintings with the instrument spotted.

So next time you see an old painting... try to spot a Drebbel !

edit on 8-6-2017 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join