It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump blocking people on twitter claimed by some to be against US Constitution

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: ManFromEurope

They may have a case when it comes to the official presidential account.

We will jus have to see what the court says. One of those things a judge will have to decide.

I think they do indeed have a case, but I also agree that we'll just have to wait for some of them judges to decide before it becomes official.

And I don't think it would be limited to Presidential accounts either. IMO, it would probably apply to any elected officials who chose to utilize public social media to communicate with their constituents.

For instance;
Would it be legal for congressional representatives to hold their public town hall meeting online and block all oppositional viewpoints?

Is it a "town hall" when only friends are allowed in? In such a scenario, are all the constituents being offered equal access to redress their grievances?

Furthermore, according to the Reuters article, existing case law already tends to support the Knight Institute's position as well.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm betting the Knight Institute is probably correct.

The problem here is that he is using his own account as the Official Presidential account - and he's said it was the Official Presidential Account.

Government accounts run under a different set of rules than private citizens' accounts. Government accounts can't block comments or groups of people. If he had said it was his private account and if he was using the Official Presidential Account for announcements and so forth, it would be a different thing.

As it is, ALL his tweets (even the ones he's deleted) are now part of public government records and are preserved and archived as such.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

this is his private account twitter.com...

this is his government account twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: Flatfish

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: ManFromEurope

They may have a case when it comes to the official presidential account.

We will jus have to see what the court says. One of those things a judge will have to decide.

I think they do indeed have a case, but I also agree that we'll just have to wait for some of them judges to decide before it becomes official.

And I don't think it would be limited to Presidential accounts either. IMO, it would probably apply to any elected officials who chose to utilize public social media to communicate with their constituents.

For instance;
Would it be legal for congressional representatives to hold their public town hall meeting online and block all oppositional viewpoints?

Is it a "town hall" when only friends are allowed in? In such a scenario, are all the constituents being offered equal access to redress their grievances?

Furthermore, according to the Reuters article, existing case law already tends to support the Knight Institute's position as well.

I'm no lawyer, but I'm betting the Knight Institute is probably correct.

The problem here is that he is using his own account as the Official Presidential account - and he's said it was the Official Presidential Account.

Government accounts run under a different set of rules than private citizens' accounts. Government accounts can't block comments or groups of people. If he had said it was his private account and if he was using the Official Presidential Account for announcements and so forth, it would be a different thing.

As it is, ALL his tweets (even the ones he's deleted) are now part of public government records and are preserved and archived as such.

It's not the @potus account - it's his own account.

It's a ridiculous notion to suggest he is not allowed to block people on twitter. Are there any depths of stupidity that the Trump Derangement Syndrome will not sink to?
edit on 7/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Actually, that is a violation of both the Bill of Rights and the Ten Commandments.

FIRST AMENDMENT:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of troll armies, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of censorship by liberals, or of the multinational corporate press; or the right of liberals to riot in the streets, and to troll the Twitter accounts of politicians that CNN told them to hate.

10 COMMANDMENTS:
1. Thou shall not respect the views of others that dont think like me.
2. Thou shall not think as an individual.
3. Thou shall not disregard transgender pronouns.
4. Thou shall not have immigration policies.
5. Thou shall not be free to speak ones mind.
6. Thou shall not deny Global Warming.
7. Thou shall not block liberal trolls from Twitter.
8. Thou shall not treat white people with equality or respect.
9. Thou shall not criticize Islamic barbarism.
10. Thou shall not have a national flag.
edit on 7-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

So, it's not President Donald Trump speaking?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Do go on with your justification that Trump should be sued for blocking people on Twitter from his personal account.

Another battle liberals are going to lose, which I must say will be enjoyable in it's own right.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I never felt like the president hated me before ever. Now I feel that all the time. He's the worst president ever.

Well now you know how half of the country felt for the last 8 years.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: windword

Do go on with your justification that Trump should be sued for blocking people on Twitter from his personal account.

Another battle liberals are going to lose, which I must say will be enjoyable in it's own right.

From his personal Twitter account:

Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account
 @realDonaldTrump 6h
6 hours ago

I will be nominating Christopher A. Wray, a man of impeccable credentials, to be the new Director of the FBI. Details to follow.
Donald J. Trump‏
Verified account
 @realDonaldTrump 16h
16 hours ago

Senate passed the VA Accountability Act. The House should get this bill to my desk ASAP! We can’t tolerate substandard care for our vets.

twitter.com...

Please, do go on and explain how those tweets are not the words of the President of the United States?

The president doesn't get to be two people, talking out of two sides of his face. What he says/tweets publically, he says/tweets as POTUS.

edit on 7-6-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Keep going - hilarious.
Is this what the anti-Trump movement has come to.. crying over trolls being blocked on twitter?
Good to see.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Nope, it's about free speech and the President's lack of respect for the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Something you continually demonstrate that you neither respect or understand.

edit on 7-6-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You put the outrage in outrageous, with this line of thinking that trolls should get carte blanche to decimate the comments sections of his twitter posts (which is effectively shouting down everyone elses opinions).

I dont know if you're ever seen the comments, but the time I went into one I was mesmerized I had never seen such troll spamming in my life (which I'll admit did give me a good chuckle LOL).

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Look, I doubt Trump reads those troll tweets anyway. And they are not prevented from trolling on the streets. Blocking people on tweeter and violating the 1st amendment is a very far stretch.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
As an analogy, someone shouting profanity at me from the streets, I don't have to hear it. I can install a sound proof window. That's not blocking free speech. That person is still shouting profanity. I'm just not hearing it.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I dont know if you're ever seen the comments, but the time I went into one I was mesmerized I had never seen such troll spamming in my life (which I'll admit did give me a good chuckle LOL).

I have not. But, I guess that's what you'd expect from a Donald trump Twitter feed. It was always a bad idea for the President go use Twitter as his preferred method of addressing the American people, imo.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
As an analogy, someone shouting profanity at me from the streets, I don't have to hear it. I can install a sound proof window. That's not blocking free speech. That person is still shouting profanity. I'm just not hearing it.

The real difference being that you're not the government or an acting agent of the government.

I think the argument is tenuous at best since twitter is simply one avenue for people to follow what trump says and does, but the fact that trump is using his personal twitter feed as his public policy and announcements method, it makes this much grayer legal area than some may want to admit.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I'm certain government employees also block people on twitter. Nothing against the constitution about that. Technically speaking, text is not speech. That's why there is text to speech. Blocking on twitter blocks people from texting, not speaking, i.e. making speech.

I don't want to get too technical about text and speech, but everyone deserves privacy, including the president. It's his or her right to block people on twitter.
edit on 7-6-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
While anyone is free to make whatever comments they like, as guaranteed by the constitution, one must realize there are consequences to comments one makes. Hate speech can even lead to jail time. Mocking people and personal attacks on twitter can get you blocked. That's just life. Like people say, there is no free lunch.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
a reply to: eNumbra

I'm certain government employees also block people on twitter. Nothing against the constitution about that. Technically speaking, text is not speech. That's why there is text to speech. Blocking on twitter blocks people from texting, not speaking, i.e. making speech.

I don't want to get too technical about text and speech, but everyone deserves privacy, including the president. It's his or her right to block people on twitter.

The semantical difference between text and speech is irrelevant
edit on 6/7/2017 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Hate speech can even lead to jail time.

Not in the US. !st amendment and all guarantees the government can not do so.

Jail time the thing only the government has authority to impose.

Now if you were referring to Europe they have different laws that could lead to jail for hate speech.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope

The President’s Twitter account, @realDonaldTrump, is a “designated public forum” subject to the First Amendment, according to the Knight Institute. The First Amendment bars the government from excluding individuals from a designated public forum because of their views. The Knight Institute asked the President to unblock its clients, or to direct his subordinates to do so.

Source

Under the leadership of Jameel Jaffer a Canadian citizen who is an ACLU leader who would have taken the other side if a Democrat was in the White House. Unless someone is going to claim the Democrats don't also block nut jobs

He's promoting his career at a Liberal institution. I doubt he gives a damn.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join