It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Muslims call out creators of local billboard that insults Prophet Muhammad

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

OK.

Now that I've had a full night's sleep ...

I'm not sure how this is much different. It doesn't accuse PP of anything. It just points out that the baby is more than the sum of its parts. Isn't that true of any of us?

I mean that is the tack a lot people are taking about the Perfect Man board.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

There are plenty of anti Christian bill boards-

Freedom of speech is absolute- if you are uncomfortable with it don't read it.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

You have a point- and you also know the president of the US has special protections.

I have zero problems with this or any ones opinion. And this is not a good way to educate people, if it were we would see more. Too expensive and must not get the word out about religions.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Indianapolis Muslims have reacted to a hateful billboard sharing a message against Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, and have accused its curators of spreading hate, and demanded its immediate removal. “It is a horrible billboard. I’m outraged by it, but saddened at the same time … and I would like to know who is behind it,” Rima Shahid, executive director of the Muslim Alliance of Indiana, told IndyStar on Monday, June 5.

“It seems very cowardly to me. If you have some kind of stance, you should want to stand up next to your statement. I didn’t think there was any room for hate in our city. This billboard tells me otherwise. “This kind of rhetoric just furthers division in our state and makes a neighbor question a neighbor, just like I am today.”

The controversial billboard popped up last Friday in Indianapolis on I-465 near the Washington Street exit. Featuring the words “The Perfect Man”, apparently in reference to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), the billboard followed by a list of attributes including “rapist” and “slave owner.”

The billboard gives no indication who paid for it, save for the word “Truthophobes” – an Australian group dedicated to publishing anti-Islamic materials. Indiana representative Andre Carson said he believes the billboard is untrue and that the billboard’s author takes Islamic text and history out of context “just like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and the Klan do to religious texts to justify their bigotry.”

Hatful Content

Faryal Khatri, a spokeswoman for the Indianapolis-based Islamic Society of North America, says not only is the billboard not true, it is hurtful to her as a practicing Muslim.

To Khatri, the most disappointing aspect of the sign is that it could incite hate crimes toward Muslims or people perceived to be Muslim.

Carson told IndyStar that he is disappointed that people have decided to use their free speech protections as a platform “to spread hateful, vile things that are divisive to people.”

“I think there’s a way to debate and be socratic without being disrespectful or undermining people and causing a sense of isolation.”

Last month, a 35 year-old white supremacist stabbed two men to death and injured another who were defending two Muslim girls on a light rail train in Portland, Ore. In court, the attacker, Jeremy Joseph Christian, called the act “patriotism.”

Last week, a Muslim woman in Columbus, Ohio, was beaten in an alleged hate crime, where according to the victim, the alleged attacker reportedly screamed “you all will be shipped back to Africa” prior to the beating.

Shahid said the billboard doesn’t bear any company name, indicating that it is privately owned.

“It’s just a group of cowards who are not even ready to put their name behind it,” Shahid said as she expressed the pain she felt to see this billboard in the midst of Ramadan.

“It is very hard … and I would like to find the people who are behind this and talk to the them about who came up with these, and it seems appropriate to use this term, alternative facts.

“Muslims represent about 3 percent of our state’s population. The fact is that most people have never met a Muslim, and there are so many misconceptions and so many divisions, and this kind of hate furthers those divisions.”
aboutislam.net...

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Anonymousman
I am ecstatic that so many people are finally being so vocal and aggressive with protecting the rights and the feelings of those that practice the religion of Islam.

I just hope and pray that this same enthusiasm for the protection of human rights, spills over to all the other groups that are slandered, lied about, treated hostilely, and disenfranchised.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: seasonal

Funny Muslims or Islam is not even mentioned on the Billboard.

Sounds like he ones interpreting it are the ones with bias.

Well, that response is about as chicken# as the creators of the sign.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Why is creating the sign chicken sh--?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: rickymouse

There are plenty of anti Christian bill boards-

Freedom of speech is absolute- if you are uncomfortable with it don't read it.

It seems to me that so many people are trying to polarize our society. It does not make sense, the further we get divided, the worse off our society is. It was a lot better in the sixties and seventies, people worked together more often and everyone was not out for theirselves. I am sure it was worse then than in the fifties.

I think we have gone backwards in society, I remember when the doctor made housecalls when you were sick and if your kid was sick, you just called the doctor and talked to him and he told you what to do.....no charge. I remember when you were feeling sick and went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist and there were maybe twenty over the counter medicines on the shelves, turpenhydrate with codeine was one that comes to mind. Well, he set you up and you were out in three minutes with a remedy that worked. Now, you sit there and stare at the two hundred different medicines and can't figure anything out. The Pharmacist knows little about how the OTC medicines work these days, the Pharmacists used to know a lot more back in the sixties, they mostly just push buttons on the computer now to make sure the medicines are billed correctly then fill the prescriptions and double check them. They are being taught to dispense medicines more and more, some do take an interest, but not many.

So what does this have to do with hate billboards dotting the countryside. Making people distrust others because of religion actually makes people more dependent on evidence based information. Now evidence is construed for a purpose, usually to prove someone else is wrong or to prove your way of thinking is right. It can be as flawed as reading parables, the information it contained can be used to prove things that are fake are true. Science can be used to deceive others and that happens way more often than not. But putting an antiscience billboard up would draw more criticism than an antireligion billboard does.

I believe in science, I just do not always believe in how the evidence is interpretted or twisted. I read a lot of evidence and try to figure if it is actually pertinent to what it is being applied to, the majority of the time it is not. So to me science becomes like a religion where evidence is twisted to fit one's beliefs.. I guess you can just chalk it up to human nature.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Funny how some can insult without repercussions on ATS.

edit on 7-6-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That billboard probably should not be up in Indiana. I'm all for making fun of these very silly barbaric religions,but it's far too easy to excite some angry overly-religious Indiana rednecks.

Btw, the Bible also condones slavery too.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Because it has been done anonymously, the instigators being too cowardly to engage face-to-face. Kind of like delivering insults through disingenuous commentary.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

www.truthophobes.com...

They are the org putting up the bill boards.

How is different than any other billboard? Do you want names and addresses?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Because it has been done anonymously, the instigators being too cowardly to engage face-to-face. Kind of like delivering insults through disingenuous commentary.

Their name is in giant letters at the bottom of the billboard, how is that being anonymous? When Move on dot org makes content do you call them chicken -sh--?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Islam isn't a race.

a reply to: Lysergic

That was some race! Much better than the Kentucky Derby. The camels look like malignant oversized greyhounds. How are the camels stimulated to run without camel jockeys.(never thought i would ever use that phrase) I had money on the one in the red thong(Saddam) i think the one in the purple was "sandbagging " anyway i"m calling for a saliva test.

Sorry, but I'm picturing the "Islam 500".

Sorry, had to.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I thought the billboard was about the Clintons....

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Meh, I've seen local Muslim billboard that claim to tell the truth about Jesus and the Bible and can be pretty inflammatory too, but I don't see a lot of pitchforks coming out of the Christians on it.

I don't see any pitchforks coming out in the article - just concern and dismay. No calls for beheading or deaths to all infidels. They don't have a right to speak their opinion about the billboard? Just shut up and
let us bash you in peace, right?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Ketsuko-- Islam 500 That was some race! Much more exciting than the Kentucky Derby, The camels look like oversized malignant greyhounds.How do they keep the camels stimulated to run without camel jockeys? (never thought i would use that phrase in a sentence) I had my money on the one in the red jersey (Saddam) and i "m sure the one in purple (Baghdad bob) was "sandbagging" Anyway I'm calling for a saliva test.

edit on 7-6-2017 by PsychicCroMag because: goofed hit quote w/o reply

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

...not being eager to expose yourself to a retaliatory physical attack over relaying of facts is now "cowardly?" What are your thoughts on all of the liberal media hit pieces that rely on "sources which refuse to be named?"

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

If the quotes are true, how is it bashing?

I don't think someone is going to announce they are going to do a beheading on Friday after lunch.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Their name is in giant letters at the bottom of the billboard, how is that being anonymous? When Move on dot org makes content do you call them chicken -sh--?
Goodness only knows, Australians care bigly about Indiana. Ya, that's totally up front and transparent. Seriously...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join