It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS-Did you forget today's D-DAY?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
How come I never hear this in the news.
edit on 9-6-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
My grandfather got into a fight at a bar. The judge gave him the option join the military or jail time. He went into the military and ended up first wave to hit Omaha Beach Normandy. He never talked about it. I wish I knew more but sadly he passed 10 years ago of cancer.

On another note my grandmother worked in a munitions factory and made parts for the bombs dropped on Japan. Her brother was an airplane mechanic and was at Pearl Harbor. My other Grandfather was in Korea and my uncle died in Vietnam.

I had plans to go into the Marines in the mid 90's. Unfortunately I came down with paranoid schizophrenia in my late teens. I always liked to challenge myself physically and mentally. I thought the military would be the ultimate challenge.
edit on 10-6-2017 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

If you haven't already, you should see if he left diary's of some sort. Many did. My father kept a diary while in the Pacific during WW2. No idea, at all, what happened to it...it's just gone.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No diary but my grandmother has all of his belongings medals service revolver pictures that kind of stuff. My grandmother said the only time he talked about the war was when he drank. Other then a couple of stories she don't remember much. He had a good friend that drown jumping off the landing craft. He also jumped into the latrine to escape a dive bombing plane. After they captured the beach he was in charge of watching over the prisoners. My grandfather was German his parents immigrated here from Germany. He spoke German so that's why he watched the prisoners.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join