It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reza Aslan calls for rape of congressman Todd Akin

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andrew778

Another huge gift for Republicans.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If this took place in 2012, then it's old news and Reza Aslan is CNN's religion expert. That dumbfounds me given his demeanor, but there it is.

I don't think there is much there, there for political gain.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Grambler

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

I don't want the man jailed, and I don't even want him to lose his job.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

Do you really think he is calling for someone to be raped? It was a pithy tweet, no more.

No I don't think that.

And again, I don't think he should be legally punished or even lose his job.

But what are you saying, that people have no right to call this out as bad taste? That seems absurd.

Had a comedian said this, I wouldn't bat an eye.

But this guy is supposed to be a serious member of the media. He said that his recent trump comment was not like him. But it turns out, this tweet and others show that this is not true.

Sure, if they wanted to call out his bad taste, they might have done so back in 2012 when he made the tweet. 5 years is surely enough time to get over a tweet. But no it appears the tweet was dredged up and used against him because he insulted Trump.

It was dredged up because he claimed that he is not the type of person to make crass insults.

We are in agreement with not wanting legal action or this guy to lose his job.

But the irony is you criticizing people for dredging up this comment (for whatever reason) is the exact same thing as these people dredging it up.

Both are using their free speech to criticize anothers free speech.

Actually no I do not search through people's Twitter or posting history for fodder to shame them with. You set a low bar for criticism if that's the case.

You really can't see the similarity.

People dislike what this guy said for whatever reason, and so they criticized it.

You dislike what these people are saying, so you are criticizing it.

Ok, I will grant you that the original person that went through his twitter may have been more extreme than you.

But the people you are criticizing are probably reading that tweet for the first time. Why is them voicing their displeasure at this any different than you voicing your displeasure to them? (again, agreeing with you that legal action or cause to lose jobs are wrong)

It seems as if you are saying "People that use free speech to express outrage over some comments are puritanical. Now when I use my speech to criticize people, it is righteous"

You really can't see the difference.

What I dislike is the attempt to censor someone through mob outrage. I'm criticizing their unjust behavior, not their criticism.

Ok censorship is wrong. But for the people not calling for his job, how is criticizing this tweet censorship.

I never said that it was. I clearly and explicitly said mob outrage. How is criticism mob outrage?

Define mob outrage. How many people need to criticize this tweet before it is considered a mob?

If I find ten people like you claiming criticizing the ones that are crticizing Azlan, does that mean you are part of mob outrage?

Again, as you know, free speech must be universal. For you to say some free speech from one person is bad because it is part of mob outrage, but another criticism is good because it is an individual thought seems hypocritical.

This is exactly what you are criticizng.

People are saying "I am for free speech, but what Azlan did is in bad taste" You are saying "I am for free speech, but criticizing Azlan is in bad taste"

Their reason is Azlan comment dealing with rape is bad, and yours is the criticisms are mob outrage.

Why is your reason of mob outrage more justified than their reason of not liking rape jokes from members of the media?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If this took place in 2012, then it's old news and Reza Aslan is CNN's religion expert. That dumbfounds me given his demeanor, but there it is.

Really? Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? Pat Robertson?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Yep. All of those people are terrible people. But maybe they are exactly the type to be experts on what much religion has become.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Sharpton and Jackson are race hustlers first and religious second if at all.

Robertson is a hack, but I have yet to see him asking for people to get raped or cussing.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Robertson is a hack, but I have yet to see him asking for people to get raped or cussing.

He said 9-11 was God punishing people for lesbians. Thats pretty bad.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
What has been said cannot be unsaid..
Jail time awaits this guy

Jail time awaits him for saying that he hopes Todd Aikin gets raped? What would be the charge?
edit on 2017-6-6 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Painterz
I think men who blame women for being raped probably should be raped, so that they can learn that actually no, it's not the victims fault.

It might be an eye opening experience for them.

Ah good, another leftist who thinks people should be raped for things they say or believe.
I am sure it feels good to finally come clean that you believe rape is an effective punishment for words you find abhorrent.

Don't act like people on the right don't get all giggity thrilled at the thought of their enemies getting raped while incarcerated!

Odinsway.
Pretty sure we didn't start this American cold war....Pretty sure that was lies from the left. THE PARTY THAT EVEN LIED TO ITS OWN PARTY "COUGH. COUGH BERNIE "
edit on 6-6-2017 by odinsway because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Jail time awaits him for saying that he hopes Todd Aikin gets raped? What would be the charge?

Mind crimes in 2012 of course, and as of late, blasphemy against Trump Jesus

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Oh, I forgot that one.

Shows how much attention I pay to him.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I have no problem with people criticizing Azlan.

But if Akin said what it seems he did, that guy is in fact a tool also. Claiming that a woman wasn't raped if she got pregnant because her body accepted it is disgusting, and I favor Azlan calling him out on this.

I just think what he said was bad too (in light of his positions of claiming he is not a guy to say something like that)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Pretty sure someone already answered that. He said treason. Extreme? Yeah...are the left making it necessary? Maybe. In my 43 years have never seen our nation so imperiled by those within it's own borders.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Whatever. They don't jive with your religious outlook.

Cussing? LOL

Robertson advocates wife beating, and female submission to male superiority. He also advocated for assassination of Hugo Chavez:
"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it."

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: odinsway

Pretty sure someone already answered that. He said treason. Extreme? Yeah...are the left making it necessary? Maybe. In my 43 years have never seen our nation so imperiled by those within it's own borders.

Past Presidents have warned that America's biggest danger lies within it's own borders. The modern left is the epitome of that danger.
edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I am absolutely serious when I say this: They need to investigate what these people are on! Something is not right. This kind of rhetoric has gone beyond journalistic criticism, beyond partisanship, and into dangerous territory. Drugs? Maybe. Some kind of psychological experiment? Maybe.

Mental illness or psychosis due to something is a definite possibility. I'm really not kidding.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
I am absolutely serious when I say this: They need to investigate what these people are on! Something is not right. This kind of rhetoric has gone beyond journalistic criticism, beyond partisanship, and into dangerous territory. Drugs? Maybe. Some kind of psychological experiment? Maybe.

Mental illness or psychosis due to something is a definite possibility. I'm really not kidding.

Who is "they" and on what legal authority is this allowed?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: UKTruth

Actually go ahead and link me to one of Trump's tweets I complained about. I'll wait.

OK. Not only did you throw a fit in a post about a Trump tweet, you started a thread about it and here is what you said:

What a damn baby. "WAAAAAAAAH I didn't get first place in Iowa! FRAUD!" Is it any surprise that the hairpiece can't accept defeat with humility and grace, he has to make a big spectacle about it?

This is NOT Presidential material. This is being a baby. Someone needs to go change Trump's diaper.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lord only knows what you would have said if Trump had tweeted that the punishment for saying something he disagreed with should be rape.

###cough### hypocrisy ###cough###

Or would you care to change your mind and criticise the vile Reza Aslan, now that we know tweets do matter to you after all?

edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Define mob outrage. How many people need to criticize this tweet before it is considered a mob?

When mass groups of people feel something violates acceptable standards of behavior and the anger is directed at the person who committed the act.

If I find ten people like you claiming criticizing the ones that are crticizing Azlan, does that mean you are part of mob outrage?

No. I am not following a multitude to censor someone.

Again, as you know, free speech must be universal. For you to say some free speech from one person is bad because it is part of mob outrage, but another criticism is good because it is an individual thought seems hypocritical.

Yes it is universal. That's why we stand up to censorship in all its forms, including for people we disagree with. There is nothing hypocritical about that, I'm sorry.

People are saying "I am for free speech, but what Azlan did is in bad taste" You are saying "I am for free speech, but criticizing Azlan is in bad taste"

You are making up what I said out of thin air. Try quoting me next time.

Why is your reason of mob outrage more justified than their reason of not liking rape jokes from members of the media?

I do not know why you're comparing the two.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Aslan? Like that LION from those CS Lewis books???

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join