It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reza Aslan calls for rape of congressman Todd Akin

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

I don't want the man jailed, and I don't even want him to lose his job.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

Do you really think he is calling for someone to be raped? It was a pithy tweet, no more.

No I don't think that.

And again, I don't think he should be legally punished or even lose his job.

But what are you saying, that people have no right to call this out as bad taste? That seems absurd.

Had a comedian said this, I wouldn't bat an eye.

But this guy is supposed to be a serious member of the media. He said that his recent trump comment was not like him. But it turns out, this tweet and others show that this is not true.

Sure, if they wanted to call out his bad taste, they might have done so back in 2012 when he made the tweet. 5 years is surely enough time to get over a tweet. But no it appears the tweet was dredged up and used against him because he insulted Trump.
edit on 6-6-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: UKTruth

Lol. Says the triggered snowflake whining because someone said some mean words on Twitter.

Oh the irony - or more to the point hypocrisy.

Seriously. Are the only comebacks you can muster are "I know you are but what am I?" ones?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I don't think this jerk should be fired or face any legal repercussions for his stupid tweet.
I do think he is a symptom of what is wrong with our society.
What do you think would happen if I posted a wish that a certain member of ATS should be raped?
Do you think my post would be allowed to stay up?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: andrew778
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So you must be okay with what he said then. Since you aren't outraged by it. And I voted for Trudeau and agree with more left than right. But the left is going mad and I'm ashamed to be associated with it. Those who can't see what the left I doing have problems. The right is just as bad, actually no the left is worse.

Yes I'm fine with what he said. It's a bloody tweet.

There is truth to that and also a strong argument to not engage in mirroring the tactics of the left when it comes to rifling through someone's statements to piece together a narrative to destroy them. There is also merit in fighting back to hold the left to the same standards they apply to others. Sometimes the moral high ground in itself is not enough. I don't think it is a surprise that we're starting to see a backlash in the conservative media using leftist tactics shortly after the Whitehouse convened a new communications war room. Right or wrong, I am not sure, but equal accountability is not a bad thing.

It is no surprise. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Free speech is far more important than any petty revenge.

Yes, but free speech dies when the consequences of such speech are applied unequally. If we are to have standards then apply them equally. We either accept no consequences for speech such as this for ALL, or we punish it for ALL.

No, free speech dies the moment people stop abiding by it and defending it, even for their mortal enemies.

Which has already happened. So what to do?
Fight for it or accept it's not an option anymore for some, but alive for others?
How one fights is more of the debate, in my view.

That is not fighting for it. That is puritan censorship. I understand calling out Aslan's hypocrisy and his moral virtue-signalling. But it appears some are calling for his job and even jail.

Jail? No, not in this case.
Job? ... that depends on what society wants to apply as punishment. If some lose their jobs over their expressed views, then the same standard should apply to all.

No, it shouldn't. Losing jobs for tweets is a standard held by puritans.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

What do you think would happen if I posted a wish that a certain member of ATS should be raped?

You do realize that ATS and Twitter have different ToS agreements for using their service right?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

Do you really think he is calling for someone to be raped? It was a pithy tweet, no more.

No I don't think that.

But what are you saying, that people have no right to call this out as bad taste? That seems absurd.

But this guy is supposed to be a serious member of the media. He said that his recent trump comment was not like him. But it turns out, this tweet and others show that this is not true.

Sure, if they wanted to call out his bad taste, they might have done so back in 2012 when he made the tweet. 5 years is surely enough time to get over a tweet. But no it appears the tweet was dredged up and used against him because he insulted Trump.

It was dredged up because he claimed that he is not the type of person to make crass insults.

We are in agreement with not wanting legal action or this guy to lose his job.

But the irony is you criticizing people for dredging up this comment (for whatever reason) is the exact same thing as these people dredging it up.

Both are using their free speech to criticize anothers free speech.
edit on 6-6-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
a reply to: andrew778
Is it quite clear to all of these snowflakes anxiously clutching their pearls in dismay, that all of this came down in 2012?
And that here's the context?

Calling Trump a "piece of #" is hardly the worst thing that Aslan has said on social media about a Republican politician. That particular distinction would go to the moment in 2012 when the cable news host wished rape upon the idiot and former Missouri congressman Todd Akin.

Akin sunk his senatorial campaign, and dragged the GOP down with him in the process, when he said in reference to abortion exemptions in the case of abortion or incest that pregnancies don't usually result from such violence. "If it's a legitimate rape," he said, "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Unsurprisingly, the former Missouri congressman's nonsensical remarks drew sharp criticism from all corners, including from his own party. Aslan also had thought's on Akin's musings. In reference to a right-wing commentator who compared the ex-congressman to a rape victim, Aslan quipped on social media, "I wish!" The cable news host clarified later, "Just to be clear I was indeed wishing someone would rape congressman Todd Akin. I'd hate to be misunderstood." Washington Examiner

So, by extension, are all of these hand-wringers actually supporting Akin's comments? Scary thing is I'm certain that far too many are!

No, us 'hand-wringers' are saying that saying someone should be raped because you disagree with what someone else says - whether you are right or wrong - is a rather putrid approach to justice and with such a warped view of the world, one should be careful about calling others a 'piece of sh**'.
So where were you in 2012 when it all came down? I did a search on ATS and there don't seem to have been any threads slamming Aslan back then. I can only assume that this has been resurrected because people are sad that he said mean things about their Cheeto Messiah.

Oooo...is that a bandwagon passing by?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

You do realize that ATS and Twitter have different ToS agreements for using their service right?

Of course I do.
We need more civility and manners in our society.
That is my point.
ATS is more pleasant because of the rules rhat we have.
Do you oppose civility and manners?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Lol. Says the triggered snowflake whining because someone said some mean words on Twitter.

Oh the irony - or more to the point hypocrisy.

Seriously. Are the only comebacks you can muster are "I know you are but what am I?" ones?

Ah, excellent.. the old "I know you are but what am I?" retort... Are you sure you are not a libbot? Any moment now you will throw in "confimation bias", "cognitive dissonance" or "authoritarian".

I am sure Trump's tweets have never upset you to the point you've called for him to be removed from office or slated him, right? Or maybe they have upset you, which would make you... well.. a hypocrite.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

a reply to: andrew778
Is it quite clear to all of these snowflakes anxiously clutching their pearls in dismay, that all of this came down in 2012?
And that here's the context?

Calling Trump a "piece of #" is hardly the worst thing that Aslan has said on social media about a Republican politician. That particular distinction would go to the moment in 2012 when the cable news host wished rape upon the idiot and former Missouri congressman Todd Akin.

Akin sunk his senatorial campaign, and dragged the GOP down with him in the process, when he said in reference to abortion exemptions in the case of abortion or incest that pregnancies don't usually result from such violence. "If it's a legitimate rape," he said, "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Unsurprisingly, the former Missouri congressman's nonsensical remarks drew sharp criticism from all corners, including from his own party. Aslan also had thought's on Akin's musings. In reference to a right-wing commentator who compared the ex-congressman to a rape victim, Aslan quipped on social media, "I wish!" The cable news host clarified later, "Just to be clear I was indeed wishing someone would rape congressman Todd Akin. I'd hate to be misunderstood." Washington Examiner

So, by extension, are all of these hand-wringers actually supporting Akin's comments? Scary thing is I'm certain that far too many are!

No, us 'hand-wringers' are saying that saying someone should be raped because you disagree with what someone else says - whether you are right or wrong - is a rather putrid approach to justice and with such a warped view of the world, one should be careful about calling others a 'piece of sh**'.
So where were you in 2012 when it all came down? I did a search on ATS and there don't seem to have been any threads slamming Aslan back then. I can only assume that this has been resurrected because people are sad that he said mean things about their Cheeto Messiah.

Oooo...is that a bandwagon passing by?

It's more simple than that - I didn't use twitter in 2012

I didn't even know he said it until he drew attention to himself by calling others a 'piece of sh**'. Maybe when he apologised and removed his tweet about Trump it was because he knew his own POS past was going to some back to bite him.
edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Nope. I guess not. Just keep accusing me of the same thing I just accused you of followed by an emoticon to make it look like you are being funny.

Again. I'm not the one currently pitching a bitch fit because someone said something I didn't like. You are. Own your triggering mate. You look silly and I am laughing at you.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

No I don't think that.

It was dredged up because he claimed that he is not the type of person to make crass insults.

But the irony is you criticizing people for dredging up this comment (for whatever reason) is the exact same thing as these people dredging it up.

Actually no I do not search through people's Twitter or posting history for fodder to shame them with. You set a low bar for criticism if that's the case.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Nope. I guess not. Just keep accusing me of the same thing I just accused you of followed by an emoticon to make it look like you are being funny.

Again. I'm not the one currently pitching a bitch fit because someone said something I didn't like. You are. Own your triggering mate. You look silly and I am laughing at you.

Lol. Bookmarked for Trump's next tweet

I'll spare you the embarrassment of linking your reaction to Trump's past tweets.

I noticed you can't bring yourself to criticise your new hero Reza Alsan.

edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Man, this free speech... It's one helluva thing amiright?

This is why free speech should be absolute going both ways without discrimination.

As scary as that may be for some of you, it's the only way there can be true freedom of speech without any type of confusion.

When different situations and circumstances can dictate free speech, hello authoritarianism.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Of course I do.
We need more civility and manners in our society.
That is my point.
ATS is more pleasant because of the rules rhat we have.
Do you oppose civility and manners?

Of course I do. I use ATS. I don't use Twitter. That is one of the reasons I don't use it.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Actually go ahead and link me to one of Trump's tweets I complained about. I'll wait.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No I don't think that.

Actually no I do not search through people's Twitter or posting history for fodder to shame them with. You set a low bar for criticism if that's the case.

You really can't see the similarity.

People dislike what this guy said for whatever reason, and so they criticized it.

You dislike what these people are saying, so you are criticizing it.

Ok, I will grant you that the original person that went through his twitter may have been more extreme than you.

But the people you are criticizing are probably reading that tweet for the first time. Why is them voicing their displeasure at this any different than you voicing your displeasure to them? (again, agreeing with you that legal action or cause to lose jobs are wrong)

It seems as if you are saying "People that use free speech to express outrage over some comments are puritanical. Now when I use my speech to criticize people, it is righteous"

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

No I don't think that.

People dislike what this guy said for whatever reason, and so they criticized it.

Ok, I will grant you that the original person that went through his twitter may have been more extreme than you.

But the people you are criticizing are probably reading that tweet for the first time. Why is them voicing their displeasure at this any different than you voicing your displeasure to them? (again, agreeing with you that legal action or cause to lose jobs are wrong)

It seems as if you are saying "People that use free speech to express outrage over some comments are puritanical. Now when I use my speech to criticize people, it is righteous"

You really can't see the difference.

What I dislike is the attempt to censor someone through mob outrage. I'm criticizing their unjust behavior, not their criticism.
edit on 6-6-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

No I don't think that.

What I dislike is the attempt to censor someone through mob outrage. I'm criticizing their unjust behavior, not their criticism.

Ok censorship is wrong. But for the people not calling for his job, how is criticizing this tweet censorship.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

No I don't think that.

Ok censorship is wrong. But for the people not calling for his job, how is criticizing this tweet censorship.

I never said that it was. I clearly and explicitly said mob outrage. How is criticism mob outrage?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join