It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reza Aslan calls for rape of congressman Todd Akin

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: UKTruth

Lol. Nice try, hypocrite.

...and you can't cant deny your own words turned against you.. hypocrite.

edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: andrew778
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So you must be okay with what he said then. Since you aren't outraged by it. And I voted for Trudeau and agree with more left than right. But the left is going mad and I'm ashamed to be associated with it. Those who can't see what the left I doing have problems. The right is just as bad, actually no the left is worse.

Yes I'm fine with what he said. It's a bloody tweet.

There is truth to that and also a strong argument to not engage in mirroring the tactics of the left when it comes to rifling through someone's statements to piece together a narrative to destroy them. There is also merit in fighting back to hold the left to the same standards they apply to others. Sometimes the moral high ground in itself is not enough. I don't think it is a surprise that we're starting to see a backlash in the conservative media using leftist tactics shortly after the Whitehouse convened a new communications war room. Right or wrong, I am not sure, but equal accountability is not a bad thing.

It is no surprise. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Free speech is far more important than any petty revenge.

Yes, but free speech dies when the consequences of such speech are applied unequally. If we are to have standards then apply them equally. We either accept no consequences for speech such as this for ALL, or we punish it for ALL.

No, free speech dies the moment people stop abiding by it and defending it, even for their mortal enemies.

link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: Painterz
I think men who blame women for being raped probably should be raped, so that they can learn that actually no, it's not the victims fault.

It might be an eye opening experience for them.

Ah good, another leftist who thinks people should be raped for things they say or believe.
I am sure it feels good to finally come clean that you believe rape is an effective punishment for words you find abhorrent.

Don't act like people on the right don't get all giggity thrilled at the thought of their enemies getting raped while incarcerated!

Usually the only mass calls for prison rape I see are when we are talking about a child rapist. Generally, the lowest of the low, and those calls are usually across the board and obviously motivated by the sense of outrage generated by the victimization of a young child.

link   

Lol. Says the triggered snowflake whining because someone said some mean words on Twitter.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The real outrage here? The Left were called snowflakes for getting pissed off with all the casual and derogatory comments, not to mention weak legislation or offensive legislation regarding rape and pregnancy from rape coming from the GOP. Overly sensitive feminazi's amirite?

Now you're all offended and calling for jail time over a sardonic tweet?

link   
a reply to: andrew778

What trump said was a tongue in cheek comment about how he couldn't lose popularity no matter what he did. So yeah it's nothing compared to saying "this guy needs to be raped".

That's just your opinion wrapped in words. You were outraged by words, I was outraged by words.

Grab em by the pussy is not bragging about sexual assault on a woman.

Yes, it is!

Trumped bragged about his ability sexually assault women because of his stardom. If you and your football player friends also bragged about sexual assault, and you think that's okay, then shame on you!

I'm outraged by the crap Todd said. What I'm mad at is the fact he's calling for him to be raped and then clarifying that he is indeed saying that. You can be outraged without saying that.

What's the point of free speech then?

Personally, I'd like to Todd Akin and his ilk be incarcerated for their crimes against women!

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

He did write a trendy book on the subject so he does have some knowledge, but he just doesn't seem to act like the kind of person I'd take seriously on the subject.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So much for "professionalism"

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

So you must be okay with what he said then. Since you aren't outraged by it. And I voted for Trudeau and agree with more left than right. But the left is going mad and I'm ashamed to be associated with it. Those who can't see what the left I doing have problems. The right is just as bad, actually no the left is worse.

There is truth to that and also a strong argument to not engage in mirroring the tactics of the left when it comes to rifling through someone's statements to piece together a narrative to destroy them. There is also merit in fighting back to hold the left to the same standards they apply to others. Sometimes the moral high ground in itself is not enough. I don't think it is a surprise that we're starting to see a backlash in the conservative media using leftist tactics shortly after the Whitehouse convened a new communications war room. Right or wrong, I am not sure, but equal accountability is not a bad thing.

It is no surprise. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Free speech is far more important than any petty revenge.

Yes, but free speech dies when the consequences of such speech are applied unequally. If we are to have standards then apply them equally. We either accept no consequences for speech such as this for ALL, or we punish it for ALL.

No, free speech dies the moment people stop abiding by it and defending it, even for their mortal enemies.

Which has already happened. So what to do?
Fight for it or accept it's not an option anymore for some, but alive for others?
How one fights is more of the debate, in my view.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

That's between him and his conscious. I'm not saying that there can't be consequences for his words or anything. I just don't give a # what he said, and it CERTAINLY isn't illegal.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Lol. Says the triggered snowflake whining because someone said some mean words on Twitter.

Oh the irony - or more to the point hypocrisy.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Are the same people crying over this the same people that advocate nuking the cube?
Murder families of terrorist to learn em?
# like that. You know, innocent people.
I'm curious

Kill em all hoo rah but this is over the line
Ha

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Fight for it or accept it's not an option anymore for some, but alive for others?

That is not fighting for it. That is puritan censorship. I understand calling out Aslan's hypocrisy and his moral virtue-signalling. But it appears some are calling for his job and even jail.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Very disturbing and shocking, but definitely within his rights.

As somebody once said, the good thing about free speech, is it lets people expose themselves.

link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

I don't want the man jailed, and I don't even want him to lose his job.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

Do you really think he is calling for someone to be raped? It was a pithy tweet, no more.

No I don't think that.

And again, I don't think he should be legally punished or even lose his job.

But what are you saying, that people have no right to call this out as bad taste? That seems absurd.

Had a comedian said this, I wouldn't bat an eye.

But this guy is supposed to be a serious member of the media. He said that his recent trump comment was not like him. But it turns out, this tweet and others show that this is not true.

link   

originally posted by: windword

You people attack Trump over the stupidest things he says/said. If he said this you people would crucify him.

Is this thread about comparing what people attack Trump for saying, compared to what other people say? If so, I reall Trump claiming that he could shoot someone in the middle of the street in New York and it wouldn't change his popularity. And, his saying that didn't. When he said he could "grab pu$$y", because he's a star and they let you, it didn't affect his popularity. So, I think your hypothesis is incorrect.

As to Reza Aslan, if I recall, Todd Akin in the senator who wants to deny abortions to women whose pregnancy came from rape, saying:
" ...if you are raped and become pregnant, you weren't really raped, because "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

So, while Todd Akin can't get pregnant, he sure can be really raped. Let's see if his body "shuts down".

So you are good with this, just #ing wow. You are a sad person who needs real help.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

That is not fighting for it. That is puritan censorship. I understand calling out Aslan's hypocrisy and his moral virtue-signalling. But it appears some are calling for his job and even jail.

Jail? No, not in this case.
Job? ... that depends on what society wants to apply as punishment. If some lose their jobs over their expressed views, then the same standard should apply to all.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I agree with that too. We should call him out for what he did and who he is. It should also end there and we should move on.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Are the same people crying over this the same people that advocate nuking the cube?
Murder families of terrorist to learn em?
# like that. You know, innocent people.
I'm curious

Kill em all hoo rah but this is over the line
Ha

Pretty much.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Reza Aslan is sure helping that violent, extremist Muslim stereotype.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join