It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reza Aslan calls for rape of congressman Todd Akin

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I think men who blame women for being raped probably should be raped, so that they can learn that actually no, it's not the victims fault.

It might be an eye opening experience for them.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: andrew778
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

So you must be okay with what he said then. Since you aren't outraged by it. And I voted for Trudeau and agree with more left than right. But the left is going mad and I'm ashamed to be associated with it. Those who can't see what the left I doing have problems. The right is just as bad, actually no the left is worse.

Yes I'm fine with what he said. It's a bloody tweet.

There is truth to that and also a strong argument to not engage in mirroring the tactics of the left when it comes to rifling through someone's statements to piece together a narrative to destroy them. There is also merit in fighting back to hold the left to the same standards they apply to others. Sometimes the moral high ground in itself is not enough. I don't think it is a surprise that we're starting to see a backlash in the conservative media using leftist tactics shortly after the Whitehouse convened a new communications war room. Right or wrong, I am not sure, but equal accountability is not a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
It's amazing how you guys let Trump and his crew rake the bottom of the morality barrel with insults and being "politically incorrect" and when the left does it you guys feign indignation. Someone in this thread is even calling for his arrest like freedom of speech isn't a thing or something.

Its illegal.. that is why

18 U.S. Code § 2385

www.law.cornell.edu...

Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I think men who blame women for being raped probably should be raped, so that they can learn that actually no, it's not the victims fault.

Ah good, another leftist who thinks people should be raped for things they say or believe.
I am sure it feels good to finally come clean that you believe rape is an effective punishment for words you find abhorrent.
edit on 6/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

What trump said was a tongue in cheek comment about how he couldn't lose popularity no matter what he did. So yeah it's nothing compared to saying "this guy needs to be raped". Grab em by the pussy is not bragging about sexual assault on a woman. I played football for 6 years I've heard and said much worse in a locker room and no one is serious. Reza on the other hand was serious.

No I'm not mad that he's outraged. Todd is a piece of snip. I'm outraged by the crap Todd said. What I'm mad at is the fact he's calling for him to be raped and then clarifying that he is indeed saying that. You can be outraged without saying that. The fact th at you can't see that shows theres no point talking to you. You deflect and defend stupid people who clearly are in the wrong. Context is everything and this thread isn't about what stupid cap trump has said. There's 100 of threads about it

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

a reply to: windword

Reza on the other hand was serious.

...and there can be no doubt about that because he took the time to confirm and make it clear what he meant.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

It wouldn't but I've seen plenty of people here use them as an example of Christians.

I just can't believe that CNN employs this guy as their religion expert? I guess it's their network, but he just doesn't strike me as having that religion expert demeanor.

FOX has Father Jonathan and he at least carries himself like someone you would expect to know about religion.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: elementalgrove
a reply to: andrew778

For some reason I feel like the feminazis will not be screaming "RAPE is not a joke!!"

I would like to see the comedian Daniel Tosh's take on this!

+1 for for the Tosh reference, I'm curious too.

As for feminazis, the last one I spoke to wouldn't bat an eye at a man being raped- as far as she was concerned every man deserved to be battered and caged, used as livestock.
Nut bags- the world is full of them.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Is it quite clear to all of these snowflakes anxiously clutching their pearls in dismay, that all of this came down in 2012?
And that here's the context?

Calling Trump a "piece of #" is hardly the worst thing that Aslan has said on social media about a Republican politician. That particular distinction would go to the moment in 2012 when the cable news host wished rape upon the idiot and former Missouri congressman Todd Akin.

Akin sunk his senatorial campaign, and dragged the GOP down with him in the process, when he said in reference to abortion exemptions in the case of abortion or incest that pregnancies don't usually result from such violence. "If it's a legitimate rape," he said, "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Unsurprisingly, the former Missouri congressman's nonsensical remarks drew sharp criticism from all corners, including from his own party. Aslan also had thought's on Akin's musings. In reference to a right-wing commentator who compared the ex-congressman to a rape victim, Aslan quipped on social media, "I wish!" The cable news host clarified later, "Just to be clear I was indeed wishing someone would rape congressman Todd Akin. I'd hate to be misunderstood." Washington Examiner

So, by extension, are all of these hand-wringers actually supporting Akin's comments? Scary thing is I'm certain that far too many are!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Lemme guess ... you were all-in on the Plaboy Conservative Women to Hate F*** article?
edit on 6-6-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Why is Reza Aslan still employed?
There is no justification for this idiot to have any public platform.
I guess the sponsors of the programming he is involved with are ok with people calling for those they dislike to be raped.
Sprint
Subaru
Dodge
Hyundai
Guess they all support this type of programming?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

So you must be okay with what he said then. Since you aren't outraged by it. And I voted for Trudeau and agree with more left than right. But the left is going mad and I'm ashamed to be associated with it. Those who can't see what the left I doing have problems. The right is just as bad, actually no the left is worse.

There is truth to that and also a strong argument to not engage in mirroring the tactics of the left when it comes to rifling through someone's statements to piece together a narrative to destroy them. There is also merit in fighting back to hold the left to the same standards they apply to others. Sometimes the moral high ground in itself is not enough. I don't think it is a surprise that we're starting to see a backlash in the conservative media using leftist tactics shortly after the Whitehouse convened a new communications war room. Right or wrong, I am not sure, but equal accountability is not a bad thing.

It is no surprise. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Free speech is far more important than any petty revenge.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Is it quite clear to all of these snowflakes anxiously clutching their pearls in dismay, that all of this came down in 2012?
And that here's the context?

Calling Trump a "piece of #" is hardly the worst thing that Aslan has said on social media about a Republican politician. That particular distinction would go to the moment in 2012 when the cable news host wished rape upon the idiot and former Missouri congressman Todd Akin.

Akin sunk his senatorial campaign, and dragged the GOP down with him in the process, when he said in reference to abortion exemptions in the case of abortion or incest that pregnancies don't usually result from such violence. "If it's a legitimate rape," he said, "the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Unsurprisingly, the former Missouri congressman's nonsensical remarks drew sharp criticism from all corners, including from his own party. Aslan also had thought's on Akin's musings. In reference to a right-wing commentator who compared the ex-congressman to a rape victim, Aslan quipped on social media, "I wish!" The cable news host clarified later, "Just to be clear I was indeed wishing someone would rape congressman Todd Akin. I'd hate to be misunderstood." Washington Examiner

So, by extension, are all of these hand-wringers actually supporting Akin's comments? Scary thing is I'm certain that far too many are!

No, us 'hand-wringers' are saying that saying someone should be raped because you disagree with what someone else says - whether you are right or wrong - is a rather putrid approach to justice and with such a warped view of the world, one should be careful about calling others a 'piece of sh**'.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

I don't want the man jailed, and I don't even want him to lose his job.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Ah good, another leftist who thinks people should be raped for things they say or believe.
I am sure it feels good to finally come clean that you believe rape is an effective punishment for words you find abhorrent.

Don't act like people on the right don't get all giggity thrilled at the thought of their enemies getting raped while incarcerated!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The right is turning into the left with this outrage stuff. How quickly the tide turns. And you guys once had the moral high ground...

I agree with you in principal, but a media figure caalling for the raape of a congressman appears a little beyond the pale.

I don't want the man jailed, and I don't even want him to lose his job.

But this is different than Kathy Griffin or Bill Maher (both of who i defended especially Maher). I see no reason why shaming this is a bad thing.

If Sean Hannity came out and suggested raping Al Franken, I would also criticize that.

Do you really think he is calling for someone to be raped? It was a pithy tweet, no more.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Lol. Nice try, hypocrite.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

No. Hoping someone gets raped and voicing that opinion on Twitter is NOT illegal.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

CNN should go the Kathy Griffin route and fire this idiot. If not then shame on them.

Shame on them anyways because they're propaganda pushers.

This man does not represent the views of anyone else but himself and a tiny minority. To act as if people advocating rape is some kind of epidemic is fake outrage and over-exaggeration.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

It is no surprise. Hypocrisy knows no bounds. Free speech is far more important than any petty revenge.

Yes, but free speech dies when the consequences of such speech are applied unequally. If we are to have standards then apply them equally. We either accept no consequences for speech such as this for ALL, or we punish it for ALL.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join