It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel has been spooked by AMD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Couldn't find a happy medium between gaming and computer hardware.

With AMD's new Threadripper CPU due to hit the market during the summer, Intel has decided to roll forward with their next year release line of Coffee Lake CPU's 3 quarters early and instead, release in August. Many are seeing this as a direct response to AMD's announcement and the success of Ryzen.

The videos are two heavy weights in the PC hardware game and despite their impressive reviews and incentive to favor certain brands, they are being very outspoken on the matter.

Personally, I can not wait for this hardware war to amp up. Consumers stand to benefit a great deal!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
What is your opinion on the upcoming Intel i9, after watching these videos?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

In a word. Overpriced.

Less PCI-E lanes and higher TDP.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I'm thinking that the next 2 generations from both companies are likely to be rushed and thus crap.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
When there is some level of software I want that needs this much computing power (highly unlikely for a few years), I'll spend some brain cells deciding. I do think AMD has their work cut out for them since Intel/Nvidia is a well known quantity in both price/performance and reliability.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ThinkingCap

What's up ThinkingCap?
Good to see you around.

AMD Intel blabla ontopic...

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
I'm thinking that the next 2 generations from both companies are likely to be rushed and thus crap.

Of course....

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Guh! Not looking forward to having to jump my system up so far. I'm likely looking at an entire rework with liquid cooling when I have to jump my processor that high ...

So that's not just CPU, but MoBo, CPU, and cooling block ... and then because I like pretty colors, I'll want to screw around with custom colored coolant.

Maybe a MoBo with some LED lighting on it ...
edit on 6-6-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
One of these days I'll have a reason to build a new computer so I can go back to AMD now that they're back in the game.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Intel has been sitting on these things a while, since they had no real competition.
So like any company they increase the price and give you 5-10% ipc each revision and since you had nothing to compare it to
you think its good.

AMD just shook them up.. (it's good news for consumers)

I am happy enough sitting on my £50 Xeon x5670 @4.4Ghz

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
One of these days I'll have a reason to build a new computer so I can go back to AMD now that they're back in the game.

AMD has always been in the game technologically, just not so much in the marketplace due to Intel's extensive co-marketing agreements and strong MS platform sales. I expect to see some big differentiation in the blade server arena, but it would be surprising for AMD to make much headway in the PC/consumer/workstation market.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The new Ryzen line runs very cool. Folks are getting some real stable overclocks on air if that's your thing. The Ryzen 5 especially is a great bang for your buck!!

....girls.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr

Exactly!

Xeon? Braggart!!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

The new Ryzen line runs very cool. Folks are getting some real stable overclocks on air if that's your thing. The Ryzen 5 especially is a great bang for your buck!!

....girls.

Hey! Purple is NOT the most popular LED color around. And my "Purple Power" Tower is a thing.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Thankfully, you're right. I'm so tired of seeing red that's why I went with a flat black with white accents build!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Ive been an AMD guy ever since I went from a Pentium 4 to and Athlon 64. AMD's performance increase for the price just blew me away.

Intel prices are insane in comparison to performance. Im not sure how they havent been priced out of the market.

That Intel brand name and their connections with retailers and manufacturers are so strong

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Intel do good server side chips and the i series is good but since AMD was doing a lot of farting around trying to get a foot in the server market it sort of lost its focus and is now back but it'll be a few years down the road now theres a speed race back on for the gaming and home persons cash it could be fun.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's taken AMD over 15 years to be truly competitive again. I still remember the initial release of the Athlon slot A CPU back in 99. I built a rig back in 99 with an Athlon 700 MHz CPU. LOL A paperweight by today's standards, but it was crazy fast back in the day. The Athlon CPU rocked Intel's world similar to what is playing out so far with Ryzen.

S & F

edit on 6-6-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join