It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys want equal pay too

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Hogwash!

Monkies know food. Use currency and see what they do.

The experiment you show is like paying some people in steak, and others in ground beef. Of course people are going to want steak over ground beef.

Cucumber vs grapes, yea I'll take grapes too.

$5 vs $10 will the monkies care what is on the face of the bill? Probably not.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Equal pay no matter what would lead to a lazy, uninspired workforce to say the least. We do best with goals to attain and reason to get out of bed in the morning. It's how we are.

I disagree. Money is only a motivator to some people. I know plenty of people who are inspired by other things. I'll start with just myself, I go through the work and study that I do, not because it's high paying but because I find it to be interesting work. Pay me $7/hour or $100/hour and I'm still not going to develop an interest in construction, fast food, plumbing, or road construction. Similarly, I would do the work I'm currently doing for free.

Money is only a tool for unattractive but needed jobs to stay filled, and the people who do those jobs settle for way too little.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

Speak for yourself. I like both grapes and cucumbers a lot.

Depending on what the grapes and the cucumbers taste like, I might actually go for one over the other. A really good cucumber beats a sour grape, and a really good grape beats a bitter cucumber.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

a reply to: midnightstar

Most paper pushers as you call them worked their way through school doing low paying labor jobs. The difference is they chose to go the extra mile to better their situation. It all boils down to motivation. Most start at the bottom and work their way up. Some just do the minimum to survive and no more and never move up. That is their personal choice and they chose to stay with jobs that should be occupied by students and young people just starting out.

It's very much like a farm. The more you put into growing crops, the more you harvest.

I didn't. Starting out low and working your way up is a suckers game. If a job doesn't start you off with the ability to be self sufficient, and lead a reasonable life, you shouldn't work for the employer unless you want to do the work. Your future value rises faster if you continue on the path of self improvement than if you cash in for bottom tier wages.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

What marketable skill that does not require an education and experience on the job pays a high income? Let me know and I'll look into it for a new business opportunity?

Or are you saying you don't work and are waiting for something to fall into your lap? Color me confused?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

What marketable skill that does not require an education and experience on the job pays a high income? Let me know and I'll look into it for a new business opportunity?

Or are you saying you don't work and are waiting for something to fall into your lap? Color me confused?

I didn't say education wasn't required. I said that unless a job pays a reasonable wage (and in my view, anything under a minimum of $30/hour isn't reasonable), then you're better off learning more skills rather than using your limited time on working.

And that's the path I've taken in life too. I've spent 12 years in school (have one more to go). Refused all work in favor of my studies unless it met my criteria (which most of it didn't). Decided to do an internship this year, it pays a little over $60/hour, and I've already been guaranteed a full time position afterwards if I want it, which would also come with a 33% pay raise at minimum. Assuming I take it, between the internship and 1 year's salary that's already better than having worked for $10/hour that entire time, and everything after that is a net gain.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
one poster saying money is the main ( even i wont say only motivate for people but he is correct .
But tell me why its only money ?
Me once i rebuilt a guys dump truck didn't get a dime . He traded me a Toyota truck .
Good trade . I cool sealed a guys roof because wifee set it up and let her deal with the person ( never even layed eyes on them .
Get home a freezer full of meat ( wiffee knew what she was doing lol )
so its not really the money its the stuff you can buy with the money that you want and we have lost our focus on the real goal making life just a little easier better the next cool gadget .
Twilight zone comes to mind .
4 dudes steal gold bars get in toobs and sleep for 100 years ( no one alive will rember when they wake up )
anyway woke up one dead toob busted the other 3 fight over the gold until just one left .
Last dude walking through the desert dieing of thirst a flying car lands. Dude gets out and the other dude laying on the ground . WATER WATER a whole bar of gold for water . Then kels over dead
The other dude walks back to his car the women sitting in it ask what happened .
He says dude died of thirst asking for water i would have given him some but why did he offer me a bar of gold its worthless .
Morle to the story its JUST PAPER or metal as the case is . Its only what you can use it for that gives it any value what so ever .
ps person who posted on how the people in that office went on strike and teh ones left could do the work anyway i believe makes the best point of all not so important humm ?? after all any one can pick fruit and seams darn near any one can push papers as well . lol

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

That's great if you have a way to pay for everything while you are learning and twelve years means you have a lot of money others don't have or someone else paying for it and your other needs. Many don't. I did not. Sounds like you are quite fortunate to be able to do what most people can't.

I had to work graveyards at a truck stop and carry a full load in college in the daytime to survive. You know - rent, food, utilities and a car. I got $5 an hour at the truck stop which was pretty decent then for a student, but the lack of sleep made it hard. Never had a free place to live, a free car or free food and back then there were no student loans unless your parents had the money or mortgaged their homes.

You do appreciate how fortunate you are to be able to go to school for 12 years without working?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
Morle to the story its JUST PAPER or metal as the case is . Its only what you can use it for that gives it any value what so ever .

Employers exist for entertainment. It's to keep people busy. It's your choice to fill your time with interesting or boring work. Work you find interesting or at least tolerable is it's own reward.

You do appreciate how fortunate you are to be able to go to school for 12 years without working?

Yes and no. I've gotten a lot of assistance, but at the same time I've deliberatley made choices like living in the lowest COL areas of the US, picking schools with low credit hour costs, or at times going without some of those basics you mentioned. Rent, food, utilities, and a car. Food stamps for having a low income and foregoing the rest. For three years (years 3, 4, and 5 to be specific) I actually had nowhere to live. I would schedule my classes so that I could sleep in a study room in the school library, use the showers in the school gym, carry a couple sets of clothes, and spend all night in a 24 hour lobby Tim Hortons, and walk from there to school (about a 35 min walk each way) every day. At another point I lived in my moms basement, at another point it was couch surfing at a friends house. At other points, like now, I have an apartment.

Anyways, I'll never deny that I've gotten a lot of help but monetarily it doesn't amount to much per year. For 12 years, tuition included all told it comes to $150,000 or a little over $12,000/year for tuition+food+shelter. A pretty small amount in the grand scheme of things. I had disability, but you can do it with loans too if you're smart about it (or smarter than me and can take a heavier course load... I did 12 credits each time).

This experience is actually why I strongly support giving people assistance for college. I'm totally incapable of work+school, it's just not doable. Perhaps if I were in a major that demands less than 100 hours/week, I would feel different. But, I'm not and I tend to have pretty high expectations of other people, so I naturally assume they're devoting themselves just as much.

My options in life were essentially :
1. To live on disability, contribute nothing, and be miserable.
2. Work a dead end job, still contribute nothign of worth, be miserable, and be equally poor to #1.
3. Learn how to do a job that I would be capable of and have a small chance of landing a quality job. As a side effect, if I wind up employed, make enough money that I'll easily repay anything invested in me.

I chose #3. Within 5 years (depending on how much I work), and possibly even within 2 years, I'll have that investment fully paid off.

That's available to anyone. There was actually a 4th option available to me due to family money. If you've ever read my posts though I've said numerous times that I'm against dynasties and building family wealth across generations. So I never really considered that seriously.
edit on 7-6-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join