It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Police do not shoot for the arms and legs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: EvillerBob

I'll expect Advantage's Mossburg 12 by ParcelForce next week

...and hand-delivered by a man in a flack jacket and crew cut. "Sign here, Sir."

"I would do Sir, but my wrists appear to be handcuffed."

The least believable part of that story is claiming ParcelForce would deliver something on time and to the right address on their first attempt

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I'd have it sent to yours

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
In the military it is against the Geneva convention to shoot to wound as this is classed as a form of torture, if you can you have to shoot to kill.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
If a firearm is drawn it means the law officer has decided lethal force may be necessary. At that point the perp has a choice, surrender or take a shot in center mass.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Home defense should ALWAYS be done with a shotgun if at all possible. A 10 or 12 gauge is best, although I have a 84 year old uncle whom uses a sawed off 6 gauge (and he is the only person I have seen fire it and remain standing . . . many men in my family have tried).

If that is not available, then a 40 or 45 cal works well to.

But absolutely NEVER use a pea shooter (22 or 380) for defense of a home. Or an automatic for that matter (they are neither accurate nor efficient).

Here's the deal. In a dark situation (at home at night), it is imperative to guarantee that you hit what you are shooting at. This is done by using a shotgun. Plus there is less likelihood of a round going through a wall and hitting someone else. Not to mention the fact that the sound of a shotgun racking will put the fear of god into most burglars (they want soft targets not deadly ones).

*Note - there is debate as to whether a rifle is good for self defense. I leave that one up to your personal preference as well as training.

To Hades with ADT, I have Springfield, oh and Glock, and Mossburg, and Walther, and some of their lesser known friends as well.

Here endeth the night's lesson on home security.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
My brother and sister both carried guns all their lives always loaded,said it was used when all options off table,and taught to shoot to kill,do you see gun targets made of a persons arms or legs?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
My brother and sister both carried guns all their lives always loaded,said it was used when all options off table,and taught to shoot to kill,do you see gun targets made of a persons arms or legs?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The only time you shoot for the legs is if the criminal has you pinned behind a car or truck.
Then you shoot under the Vehicle till the person falls and you can hit center of mass.

A criminal is only out of action when he is dead or unable to act.

And with todays Suicide bombers the cops can not know for sure who he is being shot at by.
edit on 6-6-2017 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jinn82
In the military it is against the Geneva convention to shoot to wound as this is classed as a form of torture, if you can you have to shoot to kill.

Urban myth. Even if the military repeat it (which they may well do) it's still an urban myth.

In fact, there is an argument that this approach is completely opposite to the various Conventions and the Least Restrictive Means ("LRM") approach.

The position you (or rather they) should be considering is whether an action is "neither able nor intended to achieve a military benefit". Wounding someone is consistent with the LRM. Shooting them again after they are already hors de combat, however, is not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join