It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Republican Students Blocked From Fundraiser

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Marquette University, a Catholic university in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has decided to prevent students from raising money to support U.S. snipers in Iraq. The students represented a group called College Republicans. Part of their fundraising efforts included selling bracelets that were scripted with,"1 Shot 1 Kill No Remorse I Decide".

www.cnn.com
CHICAGO (Reuters) -- A Catholic university in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has blocked an attempt by Republican students to raise money for a group called "Adopt a Sniper" that raises money for U.S. sharp-shooters in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"Clearly the rhetoric of that organization raised some questions and we had some strong objections as a Jesuit university," Marquette University school spokeswoman Brigid O'Brien said Thursday.

The students, representing a group called College Republicans, originally got permission to set up a table at the student union to raise money for U.S. troops in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tough call. I don't support the blatant dehumanization I inferred from the bracelet, but aren't the "targets" of our sharpshooters guilty of the same thing? This is where the whole propaganda thing gets rumpled for me........"death to people who mean us death" or " a case of national oppression reached boiling point"? The Middle East has its obvious differences with America and Europe where Economy and Society are involved; but does that justify terrorism? I don't buy the whole religious front; that is an obvious and effective source of contention for many people. Many will neglect to identify with a situation for more irrational things than religious differences.

At any rate, I disagree with the fundraiser. Money should be raised to prevent poverty or to educate, not to mention community programs. The government started the war and can fund it with its own, er, I mean our money.

[edit on 5-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am all for free speech and such, but I agree with this university's decision. That fund-raiser just crosses the line.

I'm starting to wonder if people like this have any grasp on what the world is already like. If these students believe they are out to make the world a peaceful place, how does funding professional killers do that? Not mention these people are probably Christians.

This is what a lot of America has come down to. A lot of us have become terrorists and Bush's "enemy," killers themselves. It's real sobering. There are people in the world who are suffering because of poverty and hunger, and all these idiots can think of this spending money to kill even more people? Stupidity. I could go on forever about this.

If these students are so eager to kill, they should train themselves to be snipers and do it themselves. Losers.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have talked to snipers. These people are messed, even the ones that are retired. In order to perform thier job without hesitation they are force to de-huminize thier targets.

I have no problem with the program, but doing it in a catholic high school, as a republlican group is in very poor taste.

I have a question tho I thought the sniper motto was "One shot One kill" based on a book from a scout/sniper in WWII. The "No remorse I decide" part i think is an addition the kids added because they probly think snipers are "0\/\/|\|z0r 0f j00" and "g0t m4d sk1llz"

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
catholic university?
students raising money for snipers?
i mean, hello?
its not like they dont have money,
i mean they are professional soldiers after all.

really sickening!

whats next?
primary school children raising money for the green barrets?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This sounds more to me, like a group of attention starved college kids looking for a controversial cause to support. Like the post above me said, Catholic School bans Sniper fundraising? Makes sense to me.

Begs the question, why do the snipers alone need money raised? If they were raising money for all the soldiers, that would be one thing, but one needs to question why just snipers? It seems like a grab for attention to me.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why are the same people scrutininizing this move, when at the same time they object to others (like the government) scrutinizing these same goups when they chose to desciminate in employment based on such things as sexual orientation? thought that since they were religous organizations, they couldn't be forced by the government to go against those religious teachings....as interpreted by the organization, of course.
or maybe this is why so many religous organizations don't really like the idea of faith based initiatives being giving tax money, they know it will come with strings attached, like, well, we gave you the money, now teach the right doctrine....

[edit on 5-2-2005 by dawnstar]

new topics

top topics

join