It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was admitted to the ER: here's how much it cost

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Ghost147

This is at me in the US.

We are truly duped.

But hey we made (and sell) kick ass bombs.

Well. To be fair... those are some pretty cool bombs

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: avgguy
a reply to: kaylaluv

Maybe some day everyone in the US will pay taxes too

Maybe some day everyone in the US will actually pay their medical bills so that costs don't get distributed to those of us who do.

People wouldn't have to pay medical bills if we had socialized healthcare (like pretty much every other 1st world country)

link   
Big pharma has turned is into chrysalis'...

We are fed poison via the medicines we take to heal us... they dont. and when they don't, they put is in hospital.. and yet if they do we pay to be driven there by a big fat UBER taxi, to pay for it.. then we pay for every test to tell us what they don't know.

This is NOT what friggen medicine should be...

edit on 5/6/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife
Due to having a heart attack in Feb. of this year the ambulance fee was over
$800. I don't recall what the ER costs but my overall charge for being at the hospital for about five days was over $40,000 USD. I have no insurance to pay this so they are not going to get paid any of this by me.

And this is exactly why those of us who do pay our medical bills end up paying way more than we should. It's like compounding interest--the more people steal medical services, the more than it ends up costing the next time, and the more other people can't afford them and start stealing the medical services.

What makes you think that you have the right to access another's time, services, and potentially life-saving skills and then give them the finger and walk away without due compensation?

... they are not going to get paid any of this by me.

You're not even trying--thanks.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

(they can't)

link   

If I'm working the doctors are free, hospitals are free, prescriptions I have to pay £8.60 per item, for dentists it's 1 of three bands depending what you get done

Band 1: £20.60 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
Band 2: £56.30 covers all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
Band 3: £244.30 covers all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

If I'm working but on a low income everything is completely free providing I have a certificate to prove it

If I'm out of work but not on benefits, I can get the same certificate as above

If I'm out of work and on benefits, everything is free

If I've retired and on pension, everything is free (even tv license and heating costs)

To book a doctors appointment I can do it online, I can do repeat prescription online, dentist you have to phone and there's usually 2 to 3 month wait unless it's an emergency then you can get it on the day if you phone in the morning.

Hospital wait times vary, it's not quick if it's not a serious life threatening problem, even if it's potentially life threatening it's still not quick

link   

Why? Not everyone in Canada pays taxes.

www.torontosun.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

+100. Seriously, we could probably afford single payer, public health for all or whatever you want to call it if :

1) the other 50% of US tax payers actually paid federal income taxes.
2) we significantly curtail the importation of poor and illiterate illegal immigrants who drain our public social services whether it is public schooling, healthcare, jails, etc
3) the US stop sending foreign aid to sh*tholes all over the rest of the world
4) the US stop playing world cop and being the body guard for the rest of the world. How much is Canada's military budget? Englands? Nordic countries? Maybe the rest of the western world ought to pay their fair share.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
People wouldn't have to pay medical bills if we had socialized healthcare (like pretty much every other 1st world country)

People still pay for the services. This utopian use of the everything-is-free-and-no-one-pays mentality is about as juvenile a mentality as I can think of.

Also, employing the bandwagon logical fallacy as a talking point or attempt to persuade is an ill-advised tactic.

But I'm not going to get into this argument yet again--there are plenty of these threads sprinkled around ATS in which I have commented my points. I'm not going to regurgitate them again in the face of illogical talking points.

Best Regards.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I am always frightened when we agree.

I think we need a tax funded medicaid for all system.

There is a reason our system cost is #1 and our health outcomes are #37. It is a for profit system that needs to increase prices (share value on the stock market) every quarter, regardless of the consumers ability to pay.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

$800. I don't recall what the ER costs but my overall charge for being at the hospital for about five days was over $40,000 USD. I have no insurance to pay this so they are not going to get paid any of this by me.

$40,000 !!!!

Wow. And stress is bad for our health in general. I wonder if anyone has had a second heart attack after seeing their bill?

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
[only some can't...others choose not to]

Case in point, in this thread

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I am always frightened when we agree.

Yes, it scares me too.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Okay, so again I ask...after all of that, did you ever receive a diagnosis, or are they just trying to mask the symptoms with pain killers?

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

And this is exactly why those of us who do pay our medical bills end up paying way more than we should. It's like compounding interest--the more people steal medical services, the more than it ends up costing the next time, and the more other people can't afford them and start stealing the medical services.

Is there any actual evidence that this is the case.

I mean honestly, how is his situation stealing? $40,000 for a 5 day stay for a heart attack is absurd. There's a difference between stealing and being charged an insane amount that almost no one could afford

Are you honestly justifying this charge?

Look at it this way. In the states, the medical system is profit based. In places with universal health care, it's not, so companies aren't grossly inflating services just to make more money.

It's not that the citizens of universal healthcare countries get free pay, the actual services themselves cost less because there's little to no profit incentive.

When profit incentive is place upon systems like these, then the whole system becomes intrinsic with dishonesty to make a buck.

i pay 10% of my income to taxes which contribute partially to a universal healthcare system which, in my lifetime, has saved me and my family thousands, of not hundreds of thousand of dollars.

May I ask what you pay for income tax?
edit on 5/6/17 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Fine - stay out of the argument, but we are slowly becoming a third world country because we refuse to progress with the other big boys.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Okay, so again I ask...after all of that, did you ever receive a diagnosis, or are they just trying to mask the symptoms with pain killers?

Yes, it's what's called a "rib out", and the muscle around that particular rib, connecting to the tissue around that area of the spine, was spasming

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

No just pay your bill, then everyone else's medical costs will go down/sarc

Yep, some say just pay it-to many of us $40,000 or $1,000,000,000 is no different. If you have no money, you can't pay-simple.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well, in the UK we fund the NHS through our tax. It is free at the point of delivery.

My son had a bit of trouble lasting three years. Now cleared up. He was admitted to hospital as an emergency twice, although bypassed A&E / ER.

- Several GP over a prolonged period (family doctor visits)
- Blood and urine tests
- Referral to a speciality consultants (paediatrician and gastroenterologist)
- MRI scan
- Two barium X ray sessions
- Two admittance to hospital (four days each time) by urgent referral
- Continuing GP observance
- Loads of prescription medicines

God knows what the cost was. Never saw a bill.
edit on 5/6/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I suffered a triple fracture in my right orbital from a sporting injury and woke up in ER the following morning.

Spent 2 days in hospital for observation purposes then went in for a 3hr reconstruction procedure a week later obviously under a general anaesthetic which isn't cheap and spent a further 2 days in a hospital following surgery.

Then I went back to the surgeon once a week for 4 weeks and twice again over the proceeding 2 months for further X-rays etc. to make sure everything healed properly.

Can't remember exactly what parking cost at the hospital but aside from that, fuel money and $20 here and there for pain killers, there were no out of pocket expenses whatsoever.
edit on 5/6/2017 by TOMFROMOZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join