It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible explanation for 'hearing' meteorites, meteors and aurora

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

That's much better than my story.

I think I saw myself leaving. I looked sheepish.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You should know the answers to all these life-sucking questions. I'm truly disappointed.

link   
a reply to: argentus

Were you able to bribe the cops with all that loot?

link   

You cannot unscramble an egg.

Word.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
You should know the answers to all these life-sucking questions. I'm truly disappointed.

I do, I was testing you. I also know how to hear a meteorite, you should have called me.

Cool thread though, I'm gonna read the source material and pretend like I never knew this.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I have always been your fan.
I hope you check out my future thread:

"Why most people have a rather large......."

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

a reply to: TerryDon79

both our conversations are off-topic, however, let's all ride the rain.

Yes, I knew I'd had a finger-fumble, however decided to persevere, much as most of the rest of us have when faced with a finger-fumble.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That's fine. Just shows you're not a cyborg planning on taking over the world, but are an actual human being.

Nice new op btw. Not something I've ever really thought of.

I would have thought that, the sound you hear is from before you see it because it's too far away, but because you see and hear noise at the same time, it only appears to be the same. All the sound from the upper atmosphere travelling way ahead of the actual object itself.
edit on 462017 by TerryDon79 because: It's my phones autocorrect, not the beer. Honest!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I've heard the northern lights hiss like a snake before, when I was young, maybe in the early sixties. They were really wild that year, we went to the Houghton breakers to watch them. They looked like big colored flames dancing in the sky. I have never seen them that distinct since that time, Every time we get the Northern lights here lately, there are clouds in the sky. What a bummer.

I read about the electric signal generated in the northern lights from reading a few articles a while back. I guess they have been able to actually measure the signal and somehow they had wires hooked up to someone's head and it showed the brain recognized a sound. Not everyone can hear the sounds from what I read, only about half the people can.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

It will be our secret.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I saw an aurora in Michigan as a teen. While walking alone across the frozen lake late one night when everything was still and silent. It was as if Ic ould hear, almost even 'feel' it.
It was surreal.

But all the stuff you're describing, it might have been those mushrooms you picked from out of the pine needles.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: z00mster

To Whom It May Concern:

This too, will someday happen to you. Savor the Flavor.

I am 60. This will not get better with age. It will, however, get more entertaining.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
That's the spirit!
Btw, very interesting topic.
To see the aurora borealis is on my bucket list.
I guess I can add 'hear' to that. a reply to: argentus

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I thought yours was a really beautifully written post with fantastic news in it regarding a mystery for the ages.

But I was terribly disappointed with the replies full of lame jokes, one-liners and off-topic subjects that were really very boring.

Anywho...

My two cents in an attempt to revive this thread... vibrations from space hitting metallic objects on earth and creating sound that can be heard during auroras and meteor showers could also be said to have an effect on the human organism since these vibrations hit everything on earth. We just haven't yet discovered what that effect may be.

Skydiving With the Perseids

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette

I thought yours was a really beautifully written post with fantastic news in it regarding a mystery for the ages.

But I was terribly disappointed with the replies full of lame jokes, one-liners and off-topic subjects that were really very boring.

Anywho...

My two cents in an attempt to revive this thread... vibrations from space hitting metallic objects on earth and creating sound that can be heard during auroras and meteor showers could also be said to have an effect on the human organism since these vibrations hit everything on earth. We just haven't yet discovered what that effect may be.

Skydiving With the Perseids

You missed the beginning.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I can recall when I was in the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory and Alaska. I was fortunate to see the aurora borealis. More than half the time, I also noticed that I could hear strange sounds. What always intrigued me is that the sounds seemed to coincide with the strange visual convolutions of the sky. It was wonderous. I saw beauty flex and fold against the sky, accompanied by crackling, clicking, what sounded like bird sounds, and distant horns. I can well imagine how our ancient ancestors might have interpreted those sights and sounds.

But, I was puzzled. How can a sound and and sight manifest at the same time? Classical physics would have no solution for that problem.

Many years later, I witnessed a meteor shower in which we could not only see contrails, but HEAR them. How is this possible? It didn't seem to bother the people who were also watching, but it bothered me a LOT!! How can these phenomena occur simultaneously??? Impossible.

And then, in ScienceNews, I see the answer. Why you can see and hear meteors at the same time.

This explanation makes sense to me.

The sound waves aren’t coming from the meteor itself, atmospheric scientists Michael Kelley of Cornell University and Colin Price of Tel Aviv University propose April 16 in Geophysical Research Letters. As the leading edge of the falling space rock vaporizes, it becomes electrically charged. The charged head produces an electric field, which yields an electric current that blasts radio waves toward the ground. As a type of electromagnetic radiation, radio waves travel at the speed of light and can interact with metal objects near the ground, generating a whistling sound that people can hear.

Isn't this wonderful! Well. For us weather/space/physics geeks it's wonderful. I should have thought of this myself.

Anyway, thought you'd want to know, if you haven't figured it out for yourself already.

But it is still the space rock's fault. So, we are hearing it - you're not hearing me when I speak; you're hearing the air passing through my vocal chords which vibrates at different frequencies and amplitudes depending on the tension and the size of the air hole combined with the resonance of my nasal cavities.

But yeah, it's definitely cool how it works!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
As I mentioned in the thread similar to this a couple of months ago, I'm not convinced there really is a sound that could be heard when we see a meteor. I think our brains are playing tricks on us, inserting a false sound into our consciousness is response to seeing the streak...i.e., we see a streak and expect a soft "whoosh", so our brains give us a soft "whoosh".

Here's an interesting video about auditory illusions. While it doesn't touch upon how the brain can makes us think we hear things when there is nothing to hear, it does show how what our brains say we are hearing is heavily influenced by what we are seeing (in the case of the McGurk effect, explained in the video), and how other forces other than the actual sound itself influence what our brains say we are hearing.

It could be something like those silent GIFs that we could swear are not silent, such as "hearing" the elephants hit the seesaw in this GIF:

.....Then Again, maybe the sound is in fact real, and there is something to the hypothesis mentioned in the OP.

edit on 4/6/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

No, I didn't.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Nice to hear, because i heard a meteorite and told my girlfriend but she started to laugh and i understood i had made a fool of myself, even that i can swear it sounded just like when ripping of matchstick.
Now i will have the last laugh.

I have heard northern light too.
We even have a word for it in Sami «guovssahas» meaning light you can hear.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

That's a fascinating hypothesis!

Now, I'm going to use a logical fallacy: an appeal to experience, wherein a tell you that I, and others, heard sounds that were unusual during both meteor showers and viewings of Aurora Borealis. That is, sound that were not perceived in the area except during those events.

That said, I thought your youtube was interesting. The brain is a powerful thing, and it seeks to perceive patterns -- a Gestalt of sorts -- and it it will perceive patterns sometimes where none exist, or the contrary.......... it will weed out superfluous info without us ever noticing it, such as the double "it it" in the middle of this ponderous sentence.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Norge

Now, that's very good information, which is currently leading me off on an internet quest (the very best of quests) about Sami culture and writings. If you would like to, I'd enjoy a translation to English of any article or paragraph relating to "guovssahas".

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join