It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible explanation for 'hearing' meteorites, meteors and aurora

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I can recall when I was in the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territory and Alaska. I was fortunate to see the aurora borealis. More than half the time, I also noticed that I could hear strange sounds. What always intrigued me is that the sounds seemed to coincide with the strange visual convolutions of the sky. It was wonderous. I saw beauty flex and fold against the sky, accompanied by crackling, clicking, what sounded like bird sounds, and distant horns. I can well imagine how our ancient ancestors might have interpreted those sights and sounds.

But, I was puzzled. How can a sound and and sight manifest at the same time? Classical physics would have no solution for that problem.

Many years later, I witnessed a meteor shower in which we could not only see contrails, but HEAR them. How is this possible? It didn't seem to bother the people who were also watching, but it bothered me a LOT!! How can these phenomena occur simultaneously??? Impossible.

And then, in ScienceNews, I see the answer. Why you can see and hear meteors at the same time.

This explanation makes sense to me.

The sound waves aren’t coming from the meteor itself, atmospheric scientists Michael Kelley of Cornell University and Colin Price of Tel Aviv University propose April 16 in Geophysical Research Letters. As the leading edge of the falling space rock vaporizes, it becomes electrically charged. The charged head produces an electric field, which yields an electric current that blasts radio waves toward the ground. As a type of electromagnetic radiation, radio waves travel at the speed of light and can interact with metal objects near the ground, generating a whistling sound that people can hear.

Isn't this wonderful! Well. For us weather/space/physics geeks it's wonderful. I should have thought of this myself.

Anyway, thought you'd want to know, if you haven't figured it out for yourself already.

edit on 4/6/17 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.

As a super mod, do you really need an explanation?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Hit the wrong button?

Been there.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

What possible explanation for this happening.

Perhaps CERN sucked Argentus out of his brain and theres an extradimensional doppelganger in there suddenly, just as Argenstus was about to paste in his writing.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What possible explanation for this happening.

Perhaps CERN sucked Argentus out of his brain and theres an extradimensional doppelganger in there suddenly, just as Argenstus was about to paste in his writing.

Nah. I think it was the Mandela effect caused by chemtrails and GMO poisoning.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Possible explanation for..

For? Don't leave us hanging like this!

Male pattern baldness? Where our socks go in the dryer? DB's overly mole-filled back?

Come on man!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Maybe CNN scrambled his brain real quick.

Or it was the MIB and their "Flashy Thing".

edit on 4-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Possible explanation for..

Male pattern baldness?

Baldness pixies

Where our socks go in the dryer?

Sock pixies.

DB's overly mole-filled back?

Evil NWO pixies.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Wait....

Who are you?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Maybe it was the Freemason's snatched him up off the park bench just as he was opening the post a new thread page.

Those damn mason's be body snatching people left & right with that double headed eagle.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is the most captivating thread and post you've made, Argentus!

Star and flag

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I just checked argentus' Facebook page. He was just raided by the police while live streaming on Facebook. Here's the live shot video from it ZOMG!

Dont worry argentus, will send a wool blanket and hot cocoa up there to you in Jacksonville!

edit on 4-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Where our socks go in the dryer?

Everyone knows the Underpants Gnomes be stealing all the socks. South park scientifically proved it:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
LMAO, wow! can't believe this is for real. And why did they bleep him? I couldn't understand a word he was saying
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: z00mster

Facebook auto censors everything now thanks to Merkel.
Social media sites face heavy hate speech fines under German proposal

FREE ARGENTUS!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Edit: Very cool! I have never had the privilege of hearing a meteor at high altitude causing an EM pulse of sorts.
edit on 4-6-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A mod making a common posting enter key mistake

His regular subject can't be as interesting as him getting the "notice"
edit on 4-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
All of that is the reason for " ' "?
To which prophet do we owe the glory for the apostrophe?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

both our conversations are off-topic, however, let's all ride the rain.

Yes, I knew I'd had a finger-fumble, however decided to persevere, much as most of the rest of us have when faced with a finger-fumble.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join