It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My City is Bracing for Tastelessness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
So only days after the double murder by a white supremacist on the MAX here, there's a "free speech" rally that was scheduled. As you may have read on other threads, our mayor asked for it to be cancelled and it wasn't. This rally is the same as the one we last seen the murderer at yet these people don't have the decency nor respect for the heroic dead to reschedule and let us heal.

As this rally has gotten closer, I've been hearing more and more anecdotal stories of harassment from white supremacists ramping up. I've been taking other methods to work as I'm of a demographic that is often a target of these types. In fact one of our MAX drivers just got beaten up by one of these jerks screaming about "free speech".

Last time there was a Trump rally, same thing happened. All these supremacists show up from surrounding areas, days ahead of time, and harassment, violence, and vandalism sprung up in various areas.

This rally will begin in a few hours and there will be plenty of locals there to protest it. Everybody I know has a sick feeling about this, knowing that pissing on the graves of two of our own will stir up some very emotional responses from those who show up, especially if those speaking at the rally start spouting some of that same rhetoric.

In any case, I am staying home with my daughter but my boyfriend is going there to cover the events (I couldn't talk him out of it). I'm sending him off with some clean clothes and a Canon Rebel. I will be posting some of his pictures later today when he gets home, along with any interesting stories he might have.

Keep your thoughts with our city and hope for a peaceful day.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Our freedom of speech does not give us the right to say untrue things about others or even government officials. Just because a person believes something is true does not mean it is. Just because someone created evidence to show something is true does not mean the evidence is in context or applicable or relevant.

You believe a lie and you repeat it and you can be held liable for repeating it.

Our government agencies repeat lies all the time, but they actually set precedence for the laws. Challenging them can be very difficult, because they have to accept your evidence as real. They are the ones that set the rules, challenging those rules has to be done correctly by uncovering their deceit and letting enough people know in a proper way. The FDA and CDC are good at twisting things, but I understand why they do, it is not what most people think, it is not for the reason people have been led to believe is the reason. The same with a lot of agencies in the government, the real reason is controversial so they make up other reasons.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I hope there's no violence from either side today or ever again.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

A free society isn't always a nice society.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Just curious,

Do you find it disrespectful that every university that has curriculum about the evils of whiteness (which is near everyone) continues after every time a black person kills a white one?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Our freedom of speech does not give us the right to say untrue things about others or even government officials. Just because a person believes something is true does not mean it is. Just because someone created evidence to show something is true does not mean the evidence is in context or applicable or relevant.

You believe a lie and you repeat it and you can be held liable for repeating it.

Our government agencies repeat lies all the time, but they actually set precedence for the laws. Challenging them can be very difficult, because they have to accept your evidence as real. They are the ones that set the rules, challenging those rules has to be done correctly by uncovering their deceit and letting enough people know in a proper way. The FDA and CDC are good at twisting things, but I understand why they do, it is not what most people think, it is not for the reason people have been led to believe is the reason. The same with a lot of agencies in the government, the real reason is controversial so they make up other reasons.

What; no. Not at all; there is an absolute difference between parroting an untrue piece of information and purposefully creating it as Libel. You can't punish people because their interpretation of a set of data doesn't match yours; you can't punish people for making logical errors when every single person on the planet makes them.

What you in effect just said is that opinion and personal interpretation should be illegal which is the absolute antithesis of freedom of speech.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This rally is the same as the one we last seen the murderer at yet these people don't have the decency nor respect for the heroic dead to reschedule and let us heal. 

The 3 dead terrorists in London all attended the same mosque, but theyre not cancelling any prayer services.
Now if I asked them to, out of respect for the 6 dead, would I be labeled racist? Or perhaps an islamaphobe?

All these supremacists show up from surrounding areas, days ahead of time, and harassment, violence, and vandalism sprung up in various areas. 

I dont condone racism, harassment, or violence in any form, but aren't you be being prejudicial?
Here in Milwaukee, last summer we had a Black Lives Matter rally erupt into a full blown riot. Yet If I brought up this point in regards to them scheduling another "rally", would I not be branded as racist?

So you would like to see rally/event thats been scheduled canceled because of the actions of 2 people.
If there was a Muslim rally today, would you want it canceled after what took place in London last night?
Arent these 2 statements nearly identical?

You might say white supremacists are way different than Muslims. This is true. Less than 1% of muslims would carry out a terrorist attack.
Out of white supremacists, what is the percentage of them that will carry out terror attacks that kill people?
Being that the amount of white supremacists is way smaller than the Muslim population, I'd bet dollars to donuts they're pretty close.

I dont condone white supremacists, nor Muslim extremists, but if your going to prejudge one, you need to prejudge all.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real

This rally is the same as the one we last seen the murderer at yet these people don't have the decency nor respect for the heroic dead to reschedule and let us heal. 

The 3 dead terrorists in London all attended the same mosque, but theyre not cancelling any prayer services.
Now if I asked them to, out of respect for the 6 dead, would I be labeled racist? Or perhaps an islamaphobe?

All these supremacists show up from surrounding areas, days ahead of time, and harassment, violence, and vandalism sprung up in various areas. 

I dont condone racism, harassment, or violence in any form, but aren't you be being prejudicial?
Here in Milwaukee, last summer we had a Black Lives Matter rally erupt into a full blown riot. Yet If I brought up this point in regards to them scheduling another "rally", would I not be branded as racist?

So you would like to see rally/event thats been scheduled canceled because of the actions of 2 people.
If there was a Muslim rally today, would you want it canceled after what took place in London last night?

You might say white supremacists are way different than Muslims. This is true. Less than 1% of muslims would carry out a terrorist attack.
Out of white supremacists, what is the percentage of them that will carry out terror attacks that kill people?
Being that the amount of white supremacists is way smaller than the Muslim population, I'd bet dollars to donuts they're pretty close.

I dont condone white supremacists, nor Muslim extremists, but if your going to prejudge one, you need to prejudge all.

A more apt way to say it would be what percentage of Muslims are extremists, compared to what percentage of whites are supremacists?

Dollars to donuts it's way heavier on the Muslim extremist side as Muslim extremists pretty regularly blow stuff up, maybe not here in the states; but in the middle east; there is a reason it's a war zone.

That said; there is fundamentally no difference between a white supremacist and a Muslim jihadist. They both think the destruction of the greater population of the world is the right call.
edit on 4-6-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i know at least a handful of people who are going to be there, and the tone of their posts about it have been real worrying.
Tensions have been so ridiculously high it's getting harder to imagine there not being some sort of ugliness.
i'm in the complete wrong time zone, so i'll be asleep through it, and i'm crossing my fingers so hard not to wake to more tragedy.

i hope your boyfriend stays safe, and none of our friends get pulled into anything horrific.
also, early-thread commiserations on the wave of terrible partisan trollship that will no doubt be along shortly.
stay strong 💜

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Just curious,

Do you find it disrespectful that every university that has curriculum about the evils of whiteness (which is near everyone) continues after every time a black person kills a white one?

If a non-white person slit the throats of two white people on the MAX while shouting racist things at them and an extremist Jihad or militant anti-white hate group had a hate speech rally lined up the following week in that same city?

Yes. Yes, I'd find that disrespectful.

As far as university curriculum, it depends on the class. Nearly every paranoid thread I see on the subject isn't what they claim when I actually look further at the content of the course. Education is education, rallies are rallies.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Is that Mosque condoning their actions? Are they holding a rally to support Jihad in that city this week?

If it was a Jihadist rally in London, yes.

I judge both equally.

Nobody is talking about Islam but you guys.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
i know at least a handful of people who are going to be there, and the tone of their posts about it have been real worrying.
Tensions have been so ridiculously high it's getting harder to imagine there not being some sort of ugliness.
i'm in the complete wrong time zone, so i'll be asleep through it, and i'm crossing my fingers so hard not to wake to more tragedy.

i hope your boyfriend stays safe, and none of our friends get pulled into anything horrific.
also, early-thread commiserations on the wave of terrible partisan trollship that will no doubt be along shortly.
stay strong 💜

originally posted by: Kali74

I hope there's no violence from either side today or ever again.

Thank you both 💜💜💜

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So you side with Antifa? They are the ones inciting violence. Anyone who has different views than them is automatically a racist, bigot, etc.... They do more harm than good. Even if they had a message I believe in, their actions disgust me and make me question their motives. I'm not saying white supremacists are good. They are allowed to free speech as long as that speech doesn't incite violence. Is it in poor taste to hold the rally at this time? Probably. Should it still go on? In my opinion, yes.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Just curious,

If a non-white person slit the throats of two white people on the MAX while shouting racist things at them and an extremist Jihad or militant anti-white hate group had a hate speech rally lined up the following week in that same city?

Yes. Yes, I'd find that disrespectful.

As far as university curriculum, it depends on the class. Nearly every paranoid thread I see on the subject isn't what they claim when I actually look further at the content of the course. Education is education, rallies are rallies.

I disagree. A rally is a bunch of individuals excercising free speech. This speech may be offensive, and take place at insensitive times, but that is the nature of free speech.

Curriculums that teach the evils of whiteness is "Institutional racism". This is more than just free speech. many of these schools recieve tax dollars, and that money is being put forth to show how evil whiteness is.

We know according to FBI statistics that Black people are 27 times more likely to kill a white person than vice versa. I would not assume that all of this murders are do to a racist ideology, but undoubtedly much of it is.

So why is it not disrespectful for this institutional racism to continue after every time a black person kills a white one?

But fine, lets say for some reason you feel this institutional racism is not as bad as a rally.

Look at all of the protests against Trump and conservatives that occurred not soon after an intellectually disabled white kid was kidnapped and tortured by black teens because they hated Trump.

I must have missed all of your threads telling BLM, and the rest of the anti Trump protests how horrible they were for having protests after black tortured a disabled white because they hated trump.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm more afraid of the leftists in Portland than anyone else.

But today I'm saying good bye to a friend who lost her fight with breast cancer, so anyone hating will have to do it without me today.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
So you side with Antifa? They are the ones inciting violence. Anyone who has different views than them is automatically a racist, bigot, etc.... They do more harm than good. Even if they had a message I believe in, their actions disgust me and make me question their motives. I'm not saying white supremacists are good. They are allowed to free speech as long as that speech doesn't incite violence. Is it in poor taste to hold the rally at this time? Probably. Should it still go on? In my opinion, yes.

The murderer was confronted a few weeks ago while he was spouting his hate garbage. The ones who confronted him were accused of being anti-free speech "antifa thugs".

So no. I don't give a # today about what you think is causing the violence when it's very clear to everybody here what causes the violence. The rally is unwelcome and their opinions are poisonous. Hate breeds hate, this is true, but all we can do is try to stop the original hate from planting root.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I must have missed all of your threads telling BLM, and the rest of the anti Trump protests how horrible they were for having protests after black tortured a disabled white because they hated trump.

If I lived there (and knew about it), I probably would have.

Stop deflecting. Why do so many of you get defensive and triggered any time somebody who looks like you is held accountable for something?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm more afraid of the leftists in Portland than anyone else.

But today I'm saying good bye to a friend who lost her fight with breast cancer, so anyone hating will have to do it without me today.

I'm so sorry, DB.

A little perspective to a thread like this is always welcome. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Imagine if we were there.

Me being pro-Trump, you being anti-Trump. . . . we'd have a nice hug then go get drunk somewhere and have everyone looking at us saying, "What the f-. . . "

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

If I lived there (and knew about it), I probably would have.

Stop deflecting. Why do so many of you get defensive and triggered any time somebody who looks like you is held accountable for something?

I am not triggered, and how do you know what I look like or what the people attending the free speech rally will look like?

It seems to me based on these claims, and your illusion that the people at this rally will condone this murderer, that you a very prejudiced against the people attending this rally to make a clear judgement.

I am not deflecting, I support free speech in all of its forms. You seem to be calling for the censorship (or at least the shaming of) of one group, and I am asking why you have not done so for other groups in the same situation.

It seems that you assume this raly is just going to be all white people that look like me, and for some reason you are uniquely upset by that.

There is a word for someone who assumes that a group of people will all look alike, and they are all bad people.

Whats that word?....

Oh yeah, racist!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join