It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kathy Griffin Bill Maher and Obama in a Noose

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
a reply to: rockintitz

How in the world is noosing a black man in effigy, not racism?

But thank you. I can go to bed now.

It's an effigy.

a roughly made model of a person that is made in order to be damaged or destroyed as a protest. "angry campaigners plan to burn an effigy of the social security minister"

Ok?

It's supposed to do that.

sheesh.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Think it's like any old has been actor/sport's player that don't want to acknowledge their skills have diminished,sometimes it takes a village telling them they are an idiot to come to a realization,think a question many times asked,but seldom answered

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Think it's like any old has been actor/sport's player that don't want to acknowledge their skills have diminished,sometimes it takes a village telling them they are an idiot to come to a realization,think a question many times asked,but seldom answered

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Irritates me when people run around thinking I'm some sort of terrible person for being a white male, but they can talk all the crap they want as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to try to take that away from them. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to make fun of all the obese hair dying feminists that loathe themselves for the color they were born.

Virtually no one thinks you're a terrible person because you're a white male.

"f I did that, I wouldn't be able to make fun of all the obese hair dying feminists that loathe themselves for the color they were born."

You are a bad person for that sentence.

Do you thinking Noosing Obama in effigy is okay?

Your'e right. *No one* thinks white males are horrible.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

a reply to: RisenMessiah

I don't care what you claim to be. Say noosing Obama in effigy was wrong.

What was he noosed for? Being black or being president? There is a fine tradition in this country with people noosing the president in effigy as you can see from photos helpfully posted above.

Why should Obama's skin color put him off limits for that? Are you racist?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

It's only racist and wrong when conservatives do it.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

When is comedy not politically correct?

Comedy is comedy. If you don't like the joke that's your fault. What a bunch of whiners you wingers are!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I guess lefties didn't get the rodeo clown in the Obama mask then?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They Didn't have a problem with an effiigy of Bush being torn up by a bull before that though.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: ketsuko

They Didn't have a problem with an effiigy of Bush being torn up by a bull before that though.

Well no. See? That was comedy and a joke. When it happens to Obama, it's racism because of his skin color. So far, that seems to be the jist of the argument.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Title is very misleading, I was expecting a dream come true here.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Which lead me to Obama in a noose. I'm not offended by much of anything but this ATS search turned my #ing stomach. "Obama Noose:".

Here's the thread. ATS conservatives joking about Obama being hanged in effigy while now catching the vapors over a publicity stunt.

I think the thread you posted answered your own question and more.

Why were the Obama photos removed from the net... and the Trump photo plastered everywhere???

You would also note, if you did a little more due diligence, that many of the same posters who cry and whine about the Obama effigy had no problem with the Palin effigy, just as those crying and whining about the Palin effigy had no problem with the Obama effigy.

Big circle jerk there. Which continues today with an even more gruesome and bloodier and gorier Trump pic blasted all over the net and the television.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The difference is Kathy Griffin wasn't seriously suggesting Trump should have his head cut off.

But the people throwing the lynch Obama noose stuff around actually were seriously suggesting he should be hung.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

What Kathy Griffin did was sick, but she has apologized again and again. What trump said about Megyn Kelly "blood coming out of her eyes blood coming out of her wherever" was pretty disturbing for trump to say, we just did not have the visual for it. The difference also is Kathy was mocking trump, what trump said he meant!!!

Also lets not forget, the artist who took the photos came up with the idea, Frankly I was more disturbed by Piss Christ, back in 1987, for those who do not know it is crucifix in pee, but that is because of my religious beliefs.

edit on 4-6-2017 by kurthall because: add

edit on 4-6-2017 by kurthall because: fix

edit on 4-6-2017 by kurthall because: add

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

a reply to: RisenMessiah

I don't care what you claim to be. Say noosing Obama in effigy was wrong.

What was he noosed for? Being black or being president? There is a fine tradition in this country with people noosing the president in effigy as you can see from photos helpfully posted above.

Why should Obama's skin color put him off limits for that? Are you racist?

I've said this several times on different threads. Obama wasn't the first president to be hung in effigy. Trump won't be the last. Several members seem to harp on Obama, ignoring the fact that world leaders have been hung in effigy since .... forever. You are exactly right. They didn't hang Obama in effigy because he was black. They did it because he was president. It had nothing to do with the color of his skin.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
The difference is Kathy Griffin wasn't seriously suggesting Trump should have his head cut off.

But the people throwing the lynch Obama noose stuff around actually were seriously suggesting he should be hung.

You can read minds and just know this, riiiight.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

It seems racism is a touchy subject. From my perspective as a 40yo native American/irishman, people choose to be offended by certain things. It gives them a way to rationalize why they haven't gotten a little further up the pyramid and justifies why they don't try harder to better themselves. It's easier to just say "so and so is keeping me from achieving my dreams". Which has somehow become expensive clothes, fancy cars, diamonds, and maybe a yacht. They have no idea how to get those things and the only people they see with these things are actors, musicians, and athletes. Doctors and lawyers don't show off their homes. All children of every color want to become an entertainer instead of a scientist. Probably because it's a lot easier to have opinions than it is to design and build things that work.

Racism is an easy enemy and an easy excuse for some people to focus on. Of course racism exists, they are easy to define teams, and that is what people do. Pick teams and compete. With racism, you compete with who can get the most offended. All it takes is a word or a picture and they feel attacked and angry. They are more worried about who's holding them back instead of how to move forward in their own life. Who cares if someone wants to make an effigy of the president. Let those folks waste their time. If people just focused on their own path, they would barely notice those who they are leaving in the dust. instead of working towards equality (equal opportunity), these children demand equity (equal outcomes). They want things they haven't earned. Really this all about money/opportunity, and not the color of your skin. Money gives people better opportunities. Money gets you those clothes and cars. Money doesn't come with the color of your skin and niether does opportunity. It comes from treating the world as it is. A competition. Work harder than those around you to be a useful person and you will propell yourself up that ladder. No matter what racists do to stop you.

Well, we do live in a system that dole's out exorbitant amount's of money to those who do not earn it. Actors, musicians, athlete's, to name a few. But this system is this way because people choose to buy their products. They choose to go to these concerts and games, buy the t-shirts, spend time thinking and talking and reading the stories.

Lazy people of all colors don't make it very far and motivated people of all colors still make it farther than the lazy ones.
If i feel someone is keeping me from attaining some goal, i outsmart and outperform them. I don't cry racism.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
Title is very misleading, I was expecting a dream come true here.

WOW JUST WOW!!!! FREAKING IGNORANT!!! You show your true colors!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Kathy Griffin insulted the President (and his supporters). Bill Maher, a rich white guy, made a joke in light of slavery. I personally wasn't offended by either of which, but having been a white dude my entire life I won't presume to know what should offend African-Americans.

In every regard Maher's offense is worse. Kathy Griffin is being crucified over what is essentially a political cartoon. Because it wasn't drawn in pencils and colored by crayons some how it's "worse" is completely arbitrary. We DO have the freedom of speech in this country and that's not limited to things that don't offend the president. In fact; freedom of speech was created to criticize the administration. Without the freedom of speech; you have tyranny and you cannot discuss anything that the administration tells you you're not allowed to. Freedom of Speech is THE most important freedom.

Plain and simple.

She didn't call for the assassination of Trump; she used an image based metaphor to say the country would be better off not having Trump as president. She did nothing criminal at all to even warrant needing a criminal defense attorney; like -- if anything, the photographer who created the image should be the one under fire. Kathy Griffin was just the model in his art and has since apologized; removed the piece and understands she shouldn't have took that photo op.

All of that said; Maher didn't do anything wrong either; he has the right to freedom of speech and that doesn't mean he's only allowed to say things that don't offend anyone. With this turn of events; freedom of speech is dead; so we basically have 0 freedoms now. The classification of "Hate Speech" is an infringement upon the freedom of speech and anything that is offensive could be considered hateful and that's what we're seeing right now.

Hate speech is not a crime; hate crimes are hate crimes because crimes took place that are accompanied by hate speech. The speech alone isn't illegal; the criminal activity is, and when you can nail down the cause of the crime to a specific cause, you can apply the "hate crime" charge.

I am legally allowed to share my opinion even if it's one that's bigoted, when I start infringing upon other peoples freedoms because of that opinion; that's when it becomes criminal. There is a very distinct line/boundary between the two and neither Kathy, nor Bill crossed it.

That said; they were both distasteful; but since when did poor taste become against the law?
edit on 4-6-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

It seems racism is a touchy subject. From my perspective as a 40yo native American/irishman, people choose to be offended by certain things. It gives them a way to rationalize why they haven't gotten a little further up the pyramid and justifies why they don't try harder to better themselves. It's easier to just say "so and so is keeping me from achieving my dreams". Which has somehow become expensive clothes, fancy cars, diamonds, and maybe a yacht. They have no idea how to get those things and the only people they see with these things are actors, musicians, and athletes. Doctors and lawyers don't show off their homes. All children of every color want to become an entertainer instead of a scientist. Probably because it's a lot easier to have opinions than it is to design and build things that work.

Racism is an easy enemy and an easy excuse for some people to focus on. Of course racism exists, they are easy to define teams, and that is what people do. Pick teams and compete. With racism, you compete with who can get the most offended. All it takes is a word or a picture and they feel attacked and angry. They are more worried about who's holding them back instead of how to move forward in their own life. Who cares if someone wants to make an effigy of the president. Let those folks waste their time. If people just focused on their own path, they would barely notice those who they are leaving in the dust. instead of working towards equality (equal opportunity), these children demand equity (equal outcomes). They want things they haven't earned. Really this all about money/opportunity, and not the color of your skin. Money gives people better opportunities. Money gets you those clothes and cars. Money doesn't come with the color of your skin and niether does opportunity. It comes from treating the world as it is. A competition. Work harder than those around you to be a useful person and you will propell yourself up that ladder. No matter what racists do to stop you.

Well, we do live in a system that dole's out exorbitant amount's of money to those who do not earn it. Actors, musicians, athlete's, to name a few. But this system is this way because people choose to buy their products. They choose to go to these concerts and games, buy the t-shirts, spend time thinking and talking and reading the stories.

Lazy people of all colors don't make it very far and motivated people of all colors still make it farther than the lazy ones.
If i feel someone is keeping me from attaining some goal, i outsmart and outperform them. I don't cry racism.

This is probably the most intelligent post I've ever read about motivations and rationalization. If people haven't noticed; it doesn't matter the color of your skin; it matters your economic class. The poorer you are; the harder it is because the climb to the optimal position is further. White/Black/Yellow/Red/Purple/Pink/Cycan doesn't matter; what matters is how you present yourself and the decisions you make to navigate the ladder. There will always be opposition; you move up the ladder by conquering that opposition, not by calling foul that you're opposed and trying to take things you didn't earn through the use of imaginary infraction.

This is the entire basis of the age old argument for reparations. My family never owned slaves but for some reason I'm supposed to surrender my hard earned wage to those of color who never were slaves because supposedly "whites" enslaved their ancestors???

HOKAY. That makes ZERO kinds of sense. Nobody is ever responsible for the actions of other people; even if you're related. Should we imprison Dahmers relatives just because he ate people? Should they be paying infinite restitution to the surviving family members of the people the Jeff ended even though they had nothing to do with Jeff ending those people?

Get real. I'm only responsible for me and my actions and that's that. With that said; is there racists? Yes; is anyone not on the receiving end of racism? No. There are black racists that infringe on whites, there are white racists that infringe on blacks, there are blacks that infringe on blacks, and whites that infringe on whites and every other combination of race related hate. Just look at the holocaust as a prime example. Hate is part of the world and navigating it is part of the triumph and it affects everybody equally.

I don't think intrinsically anybody hates anybody based on the color of their skin; I think intrinsically it's a hate of a stereo type. Uneducated black drug dealer ghetto gangsters are no different than uneducated white drug dealer trailer park gangsters. If you present or identify as that; that's what people aren't liking. Anything else is a small subset or brainwashing and to literally undo that brainwashing; you have to show them that you're not what they think you are; further reinforcing that you are exactly what they think you are is not how you fix it.

In other words; you don't win against a racist by fighting them; you win against them by hugging them and proving that you're an asset and maybe even worth more than others. Dr. Martin Luther King's entire point was that you cannot fight hate with hate, you conquer hate with love and community effort. The value of a person is not dependent upon their skin color; it's dependent upon their action and inaction.
edit on 4-6-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join