It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

interesting conversation about millionaires and billionaires

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
i think so anyway.
watching rogans podcast from a couple days ago and they got on the topic of money cause they were talking about the billionaire dude that married anna nicole....
thats not the point but anyway.

they were talking about how some people dont really understand the difference between a million and a billion.
of course we all know it is a #load more but i like they way they put it

if you think of it in terms of seconds.
how many days is a million seconds?......answer is 11 days
how many days is a billion seconds?......answer is 34 years...12k days

i like that perspective.

something else that i liked was when most people think of the richest people in the world they think of bill gates and warren buffet and george sorros. billionaires....

i guess their stacks aint # compared to the saudi royal dudes.
i dont have a link but i guess and it makes sense that these dudes dont have to disclose their worth and there is no real way to find out like there is with the others mentioned.

apparently those dudes(some of them) are in the trillionaire club.

thats crazy

a trillion is a thousand billion...

thats insane

a trillion seconds is like 31k years

just wanted to share cause i found the perspective interesting. nice change of pace

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Greed is more than a trillion and it's not worth a single soul.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That is actually a perspective that I have never thought of...

I've also just found out I'm a billionaire...with a bit of change... just over 1 billion seconds old! Ahhhhhh

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

There is a lot of digital money out there

And 100,000 milliseconds = 0.001 days

It appears wealth can be increased exponentially given the right network, industry (energy/tech sectors), and other economic influences and factors.

I do like that perspective you gave.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Now apply this perspective to Trump reaching a billion.

I've had to explain this to too many people.

In the US alone, there are 15 million, miliionaires. How many of these will reach a billion? Less than 1% of them.

Around 2000 billionaires in the WORLD.

Nobody becomes a billionaire by mistake.

edit on 3-6-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: perspective..

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
So, if you were to spend a buck a second, every second of the day, it would take you thirty four years?

I'm glad I don't have that job, it could be exhausting.

I guess we wouldn't last very long in the dollar a second club. Maybe a day and a half would wipe out our savings. I wouldn't have enough room in the house to hold all that junk so I guess it is not going to happen.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i think so anyway.
watching rogans podcast from a couple days ago and they got on the topic of money cause they were talking about the billionaire dude that married anna nicole....

they were talking about how some people dont really understand the difference between a million and a billion.

i like that perspective.

something else that i liked was when most people think of the richest people in the world they think of bill gates and warren buffet and george sorros. billionaires....

i dont have a link but i guess and it makes sense that these dudes dont have to disclose their worth and there is no real way to find out like there is with the others mentioned.

thats crazy

thats insane

just wanted to share cause i found the perspective interesting. nice change of pace

A million is a lot of money, but it isn't what it used to be. Simply being a millionaire doesn't make you "rich" anymore. To be "rich" you really need tens of millions liquid nowadays. Of course, being a billionaire is on an entirely different level.

Talking about numbers, one of the reason it is so hard to get the public to force government to make cuts is that they have no perspective on how much money government spends and wastes as the numbers are so large.

Take this example from 2011. The first set of numbers is the actual US budget. The second set of numbers is if you remove zeros and make it like a typical household.

U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
National debt: 14,271,000,000,000
Recent [April] budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:

Annual family income: $21,700
Money the family spent: $38,200
New debt on the credit card: $16,500
Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
Budget cuts: $385

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This was originally (in the days of my youth) one of the differences between British and American usage.
In British usage, a billion was "a million million"- that is, a million twice over, hence the "bi" in the name.
American usage ignored the linguistic logic and defined it as "a thousand million".
I understand that the American usage has now taken over globally, even in Britain. As usual.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

i think so anyway.

i like that perspective.

thats crazy

thats insane

There was a movie called In Time with Justin Timberlake. Money was time. Everyone's money was converted to time and when you ran out of time, you died. In this dystopian future, no one aged and lived as long as you had time remaining. The poor obviously lived in constant fear of their clock running out. When you bought something, they took your time like money.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The EU want 60 billion from us , if only it were 60 billion grains of sand !
edit on 3-6-2017 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I heard someone say this about the difference between a million and a billion. If you are millionaire and you stay at hotel and the staff pisses you off you can buy that hotel and fire the staff. If you are a billionaire, you can buy the whole chain.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Now apply this perspective to Trump reaching a billion.

I've had to explain this to too many people.

In the US alone, there are 15 million, miliionaires. How many of these will reach a billion? Less than 1% of them.

Around 2000 billionaires in the WORLD.

Nobody becomes a billionaire by mistake.

ok thats great but can you leave him out of this please?
i didnt include him in my OP cause i didnt want this turn into a trump fest or trump bashing.

thanks

this also causes me to think of how the world works.
just in general...
how some people have so much and others so little

forget about the mechanics of it.
luck
hard work
laziness

whatever....

the point is there are people on the planet like me that live on 40 grand a year
there are people on the planet that live on pennies a day if that and dont have enough to buy water

and there are people on the planet that have a trillion #ing dollars

its crazy

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I heard someone say this about the difference between a million and a billion. If you are millionaire and you stay at hotel and the staff pisses you off you can buy that hotel and fire the staff. If you are a billionaire, you can buy the whole chain.

right

i like to think about winning the lottery. what would i do with a million dollars?
thats usually as far as i take it

i dont even dream about a billion let alone a million..

i just cant even imagine having access to that kind of money...

what does that kind of cash do to you mentally?
what would it be like knowing that if you wanted to you could buy say the disney franchise and set it on fire and still have more money than you could ever spend

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yea my bad, just thought it was a good opportunity to bring it up one last time because the perspective you brought forth is really great.

Me personally I'm happy with being able to pay all my bills on time without stress, living comfortably and being able to persue my passions.

That's it, the rest is bonus.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Yea my bad, just thought it was a good opportunity to bring it up one last time because the perspective you brought forth is really great.

Me personally I'm happy with being able to pay all my bills on time without stress, living comfortably and being able to persue my passions.

That's it, the rest is bonus.

thanks and i agree.
my bills are paid. we are cool
40 grand a year is not a lot but i dont have any debt. i own my cars. theyre not new or even fancy but they are mine.
we have money to go out to eat. we enjoy our lives.
i just enrolled my daughter in jui jitsu....
some months things come up and we are a little tighter but we live within our means

does not mean it would not be awesome to have a bunch of zero's after than 1 in the checkbook

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The typical teacher's retirement pension in IL is like if someone had $1.4 million in the bank. No one claims teachers are rich. This just illustrates how disconnected people are with how much or how little $1 million dollars is...

Truth be told, you don't really need a lot of money to live. My wife and I joke that we had less stress and fear of being broke when we were make like $40k/yr. We didn't have nearly the expenses, debt, or had gotten used to the "finer things" in life.

I think to truly feel rich, you'd need to be liquid of about $5 million. This should be able to throw off about $250k/yr in interest/cap gains income to live off. Most people can live very good off $250k, especially if you don't even have to work to get it and if your home is paid off in a major urban area.

When you start having $10 million plus liquid you are really wealthy. However, that is still peanuts next to people who are worth $75-$100 million or more. A lot of people who are worth say $10 million live like middle or upper class folks. You'd never know they had that much loot. Usually business owners, doctors, lawyers, and other working professionals/executives.

It is when people are worth say north of $50 million where you start seeing them flying private planes, mega mansions, and all the over the top lifestyle stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

i think so anyway.

i like that perspective.

thats crazy

thats insane

A million is a lot of money, but it isn't what it used to be. Simply being a millionaire doesn't make you "rich" anymore. To be "rich" you really need tens of millions liquid nowadays. Of course, being a billionaire is on an entirely different level.

Talking about numbers, one of the reason it is so hard to get the public to force government to make cuts is that they have no perspective on how much money government spends and wastes as the numbers are so large.

Take this example from 2011. The first set of numbers is the actual US budget. The second set of numbers is if you remove zeros and make it like a typical household.

U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
National debt: 14,271,000,000,000
Recent [April] budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000

Let’s remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:

Annual family income: $21,700
Money the family spent: $38,200
New debt on the credit card: $16,500
Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
Budget cuts: $385

That's especially horrible since most of that budget is for the dad to buy his guns while that cut 385 dollars was to be used on groceries and medicine.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The Op brought a great perspective, but yours was more tangible to me. Ive never had government spending make so much sense

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

right

i like to think about winning the lottery. what would i do with a million dollars?
thats usually as far as i take it

i dont even dream about a billion let alone a million..

i just cant even imagine having access to that kind of money...

what does that kind of cash do to you mentally?
what would it be like knowing that if you wanted to you could buy say the disney franchise and set it on fire and still have more money than you could ever spend

To me, you're demonstrating a cognitive problem caused by worrying about money all the time.
Who even associates money with buying Disney?

Sociopathic politicians and lawyers use their money for evil. Me, I'd buy land, a means to defend it, equipment to tend it, and burn the rest.
Sadly, I checked, and those three basic things every man needs cost about a million dollars.

new topics

top topics

join