It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Uses Racial Slur on ‘Real Time’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Funny how the whole left blows up about this but hardly a peep about what Kathy Griffin did, which was 1000x worse.

not correct to say hardly a peep
maybe youre not getting the reaction you want on this site but people are speaking against it

im sure no matter how many people mentioned you will say thats not enough but i dont have twitter so im not really looking. after a 2 second search

www.dailywire.com...

This is vile and wrong. It is never funny to joke about killing a president. twitter.com...

chelsea clinton^^^^^

It wasn't right when peoplel hung lynched Obama effigies, just as what Kathy Griffin did isn't right now.

debra messing^^^^

This Kathy Griffin thing is so upsetting and disgusting. Jesus--what is wrong with people today? Have we lost all our humanity?

soledad o brien^^^^^

i watched the hoe rogan podcast with andrew santino today and they were both dogging him for it.
jow actually surprised me cause he is a comic and a pretty liberal guy but he was punking her bad. he was saying the same thing most on here were saying about how it was like isis and a threat.
surprised me actually

so anyway yeah, lefties are speaking out against it.

When comparing the reactions from the left between the
two incidents, I stand by my comment.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I remember when the comic world rallied around people like Lenny Bruce for censorship from the far right.

It turns out that the far left is a far more powerful foe to comedy than the far right ever was.

seems that way these days

i dont remember the lenny bruce stuff as it was before my time but i know about it

he got arrested multiple times for 'vulgar' language on stage.

my favorite story is his was when he was told specifically that he could not say the F word on stage. he got an extra long mic chord and when the show started walked off stage, and through the audience to the front(maybe outside. i dont remember that part) and started his bit with F words.
he was arrested for obscenity
hahahahahahaha

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

i figured you would

you said hardly a peep and thats not true

just cause youre not seeing it in these threads or on your facebook page with all your right wing buddies does not mean the left is not speaking out against it

and if youre using only this site to compare there is 1, 3 page thread on this vs the many 30 page threads on kathy

people on the left and right are speaking out against her

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I remember when the comic world rallied around people like Lenny Bruce for censorship from the far right.

It turns out that the far left is a far more powerful foe to comedy than the far right ever was.

seems that way these days

i dont remember the lenny bruce stuff as it was before my time but i know about it

he got arrested multiple times for 'vulgar' language on stage.

my favorite story is his was when he was told specifically that he could not say the F word on stage. he got an extra long mic chord and when the show started walked off stage, and through the audience to the front(maybe outside. i dont remember that part) and started his bit with F words.
he was arrested for obscenity
hahahahahahaha

Yeah he was great. His autobiography is short and worth a read.

Anyone who knows me on here knows I lean to the right.

But had I been born 50 years ago, I would have leaned left.

This is because I am against authoritarianism, and for personal liberty.

In the 60's and before, it was the right trying to censor music, comedy, and comic books. I wasn't alive then, but I would have fought that.

Today it seems to be coming from the left. This doesn't mean that the far right wouldn't do the same thing if it could, and it does still try.

But the cultural power the SJW crowd has to shame anyone who doesn't tow the line is mindblowing.

In the end, it will be the SJW's themselves that are their own undoing. The constant drive to be the biggest victim or the most offended with force them to cannibalize themselves as we are starting to see, and the pendulum will swing baack to the other wway.

That is why I will always side with freedom and free speech, so that no matter what side these attacks come from, I can remain consistent.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Anyone who knows me on here knows I lean to the right.

But had I been born 50 years ago, I would have leaned left.

This is because I am against authoritarianism, and for personal liberty.

In the 60's and before, it was the right trying to censor music, comedy, and comic books. I wasn't alive then, but I would have fought that.

Today it seems to be coming from the left. This doesn't mean that the far right wouldn't do the same thing if it could, and it does still try.

That is why I will always side with freedom and free speech, so that no matter what side these attacks come from, I can remain consistent.

im with you my friend.
i always say i am a liberal or on the left or progressive. i say that cause to me liberal/left/progressive means for civil liberties. for freedom of speech. basically a i wont # with you and you dont # with me attitude.
do what you want when you want as long as it does not hurt someone else.

the definitions and lines are changing though so i dont know what actual category i fall into anymore.

on this board we all lump people into the left/right category

i get lumped in with the left/liberals/libtards/sjw all the time but i dont think i fit.

i see the retarded # they are doing and how they act and i am not down with it.

i just know how i feel and what i believe..

progressive would be the correct term....i honestly dont know anymore

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Outrage is a cottage industry. How much advertising money has been made from Kathy Griffin in the last couple of days? I'm guessing millions of dollars. I guarantee someone has that picture on a t-shirt. Profit motives and talking points for political bitching on the internet and in the media drives faux outrage as much as people who are actually offended.

I'm willing to bet that the amount of people that are actually upset about either of these incidents is virtually nil.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete

I'm willing to bet that the amount of people that are actually upset about either of these incidents is virtually nil.

ive said that multiple times in multiple threads over the past couple days

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Bottom line here, there is NO qualified comparison between Griffin's photo and Maher's words. For a word to be "offensive" people must make a conscientious decision to be offended over the word. Holding a severed head up, conversely, has a pretty universally understood message.

I dislike Bill Maher and I don't watch his show. That said, I'm also not offended by him dropping racial slurs. The more offense, the more power given to the perception of offense. Personally I think these words should be used daily by adults simply to strip them of their power... but that's just me.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Personally I think these words should be used daily by adults simply to strip them of their power... but that's just me.

i think we just agreed on our first thing ever my en word

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
Two types of white people:

1. White people who get upset (rightly so) at other white people who use a racially-charged word that has a bloody and terribly history.

2. White people who get upset because they "aren't allowed" to say a certain racist word.

I get it that black people can use/say that word all the time with no one up in arms. That doesn't bother me. Why? Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them. And this was all less than 200 years ago.

Less than 200 years ago white plantation owners in this country owned black people as if they were farm equipment. They used a certain word to describe them.

I honestly have no problem if white people are socially chastised for using it. If black people want to use it -- that's an internal issue and conversation for the black community to have among themselves, it's not for me -- a white dude to step in and try and tell them that they also shouldn't use the word.

Um, you are aware that Black people in Africa sold other black people to slave traders, right? So while black people didn't "own" slaves, they did, just not for long. It's called history.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The more offense, the more power given to the perception of offense. Personally I think these words should be used daily by adults simply to strip them of their power... but that's just me.

In my neck of the woods I hear it on a daily basis and often. However it is still the most offensive word caked in dogmas.

Odd.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them.

probably never heard of anthony johnson

he owned back and white slaves...one of the first to do so in the colonies i think

i know the word kaffir has the same type of connotations in south africa as 'n-word' does in america.

i cant think of any other words like those 2 though

Was he the norm though? Were people like him widespread?

A single example does not invalidate my point.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Two types of white people:

1. White people who get upset (rightly so) at other white people who use a racially-charged word that has a bloody and terribly history.

2. White people who get upset because they "aren't allowed" to say a certain racist word.

I get it that black people can use/say that word all the time with no one up in arms. That doesn't bother me. Why? Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them. And this was all less than 200 years ago.

Less than 200 years ago white plantation owners in this country owned black people as if they were farm equipment. They used a certain word to describe them.

I honestly have no problem if white people are socially chastised for using it. If black people want to use it -- that's an internal issue and conversation for the black community to have among themselves, it's not for me -- a white dude to step in and try and tell them that they also shouldn't use the word.

Um, you are aware that Black people in Africa sold other black people to slave traders, right? So while black people didn't "own" slaves, they did, just not for long. It's called history.

You obviously didn't read my post.

I said:

Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them.

But hey, let's excuse the entire slave trade and clean our hands of a shameful past!

That kind of talk I'd expect to hear over on a white supremacist website, where neo nazi's justify slavery.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

But hey, let's excuse the entire slave trade and clean our hands of a shameful past!

That kind of talk I'd expect to hear over on a white supremacist website, where neo nazi's justify slavery.

There is no need to clean our hands, none of us have ever owned slaves. None of our parents or grand-parents ever owned slaves. America hasn't had slaves in over 150 years. Every peoples of the planet have owned slaves at some point in history. It was just the way the world worked, for thousands of years. I don't understand the self-loathing of some people for actions that they had nothing to do with.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I said:

The above comment is completely false.

Look up Anthony Johnson for a start and go from there...

Europe was rife with the slave trade from Africa long before there was a United States, just like the slaughter of Indians began from Europeans.

The U.S. having gained independence had to deal with the bs all of Europe and Africa caused.

The mindset in these kinds of debates are from.ignorance and those that truly believe Alex Haley's work was a docu-drama. It was a complete work of fiction.

The U.S. and colonies prior, got a small percentage of the international slave trade...that was handed them to deal with.

Mg

edit on 3-6-2017 by missed_gear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

You say "over 150 years" like that's so incredibly long ago.

That's literally 3 generations ago.

And literally every major European country banned slavery before the USA did. Spain, for example banned slavery in 1811.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Yes, lets forget history ever existed before American slavery.
You going to call everyone who disagrees as a racist now, or better yet, just insinuate?

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

a reply to: UnBreakable

i figured you would

you said hardly a peep and thats not true

just cause youre not seeing it in these threads or on your facebook page with all your right wing buddies does not mean the left is not speaking out against it

and if youre using only this site to compare there is 1, 3 page thread on this vs the many 30 page threads on kathy

people on the left and right are speaking out against her

Right wing buddies on Facebook?

1) 80% of my friends are liberal
2) I don't have a Facebook account

Try again.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

a reply to: TruMcCarthy

You say "over 150 years" like that's so incredibly long ago.

That's literally 3 generations ago.

And literally every major European country banned slavery before the USA did. Spain, for example banned slavery in 1811.

150 years is an incredibly long time, especially in this day age, the world was a totally different place 150 years ago. "And literally every major European country banned slavery before the USA did. Spain, for example banned slavery in 1811." So what? They still owned slaves in their history, just as Asians, Africans, Arabs, Hispanics, Europeans and every other peoples of the planet have.
edit on 3-6-2017 by TruMcCarthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
A "left wing", .. "mouthpiece" used a "racial slur"? Oh lord! I've lost all hope for the "Democratic" party that "voted" to retain/maintain "slavery"...[sarcasm ]. And went to a "civil war" to keep it. I'm still trying to figure out who's side these idiots are on! God damn! They say some good stuff! Then they "DO" stupid SH*T! Doesn't really peak my "give a damn" meter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join