It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Uses Racial Slur on ‘Real Time’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Maher is a hate-fueled America-loathing leftist, but he shouldn't be fired for this.

I'm sick of the "special standard" that must be applied to a certain untouchable group, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that feeling. It's just a word... It's not a word I use, but not because I feel beholden to the idiotic cancer of political correctness. If I had a reason to use it and no better option, I'd use it.

I hear others use it almost daily. Obviously, the attempt to stigmatize "the word" has been a miserable failure.

I don't buy the phony "historical context" argument that says the word is uniquely evil because of slavery and the racism of the past. The problem is, while slavery was a reprehensible practice, that period of our history in no way comes anywhere close to the cruelty meted out against other much larger groups more recently.

Can someone give me an example of a "forbidden word" or even slur relating to the Holocaust that must never be uttered?

How about the millions of Cambodians and Vietnamese who were slaughtered by the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot in the late 1970's? Any taboo speech related to that?

What about the current ongoing genocide of Yazidis by ISIL in northern Iraq and Syria? No one knows what the final body count will be -- certainly in the tens of thousands, very likely much higher... Any words that we're forbidden to say about that?

Again, African slavery in the Americas was a vile stain on the history of this entire hemisphere, but it was not a widespread practice. There were about 300,000 original African slaves imported to what is now the United States. At the height of the practice of slavery, no more than 1.6% of the population owned slaves.

Slavery in America was NOT genocide, unlike the million or so Tutsis in Rwanda in 1994 who were savagely and systematically slaughtered by the Hutu majority government that wiped out about 70% of that black population (not to mention the majority of the Pygmy Batwa population).

How many American slaves were executed? How many blacks were murdered (presumably by whites) because they were black since then?

Without a doubt, too many. But when compared to other more recent atrocities, does the plight of blacks in America really rise to the level of the Holocaust?

I personally object to the over-exaggerated victim status of blacks (I'm sure a good many of them would agree with me on that). It's simply not justified, doesn't help, and is insulting to other groups who have had it far worse more recently and rarely even speak about it.

Every time someone like Maher is fired (which I'm sure he will be because he's white/Jewish) for using the "n-word", the word itself gains even more power and lives on in infamy.
edit on 3-6-2017 by SBMcG because: Correction

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

You're absolutely right. No one should be fired for what they say. It's tantamount to thought crime. And the outrage in the US, pretty much the last bastion of free speech, is troubling.

Mein Kempf and Holocaust denial are outright illegal in many Western countries. They believe, wrongly, that it is words and hate speech that leads to atrocity, but they don't realize that it is censorship that has a stronger correlation.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Two types of white people:

1. White people who get upset (rightly so) at other white people who use a racially-charged word that has a bloody and terribly history.

2. White people who get upset because they "aren't allowed" to say a certain racist word.

I get it that black people can use/say that word all the time with no one up in arms. That doesn't bother me. Why? Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them. And this was all less than 200 years ago.

Less than 200 years ago white plantation owners in this country owned black people as if they were farm equipment. They used a certain word to describe them.

I honestly have no problem if white people are socially chastised for using it. If black people want to use it -- that's an internal issue and conversation for the black community to have among themselves, it's not for me -- a white dude to step in and try and tell them that they also shouldn't use the word.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Another example of the SJW crowd eating their own.

I am looking at this from a comedy standpoint.

I think that it is ironic that most successful comedians at least in the west are quite liberal. And yet they are slowly one by one waking up to the fact that the extreme on the liberal side are destroying their art.

I disagree with Maher on most things politically. But he does stand for free speech. He called out all of the liberals trying to censor conservatives on campus. He brought Milo on his show despite the SJW's giving him grief on that.

Even if you don't find Maher funny or agree with him, I think we should all not let the hysterical left bring him down over this. Not for his sake, but the sake of comedy as a whole.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: SBMcG

You're absolutely right. No one should be fired for what they say. It's tantamount to thought crime. And the outrage in the US, pretty much the last bastion of free speech, is troubling.

Mein Kempf and Holocaust denial are outright illegal in many Western countries. They believe, wrongly, that it is words and hate speech that leads to atrocity, but they don't realize that it is censorship that has a stronger correlation.

"Thought crime" is exactly where this is going. You know as well as I that the Left cannot bring about their kleptocratic merit-free ant farm "utopia" without limiting speech and thought.

As you so correctly stated, speech -- no matter how incendiary, isn't the problem.

We're so fortunate to live in a nation where the phony leftist construct of "hate speech" is not illegal. In fact, the Left lost that one Big League when the Supreme Court ruled 8 - 1 against censorship in SNYDER V. PHELPS (2011).

Again, despite what the Left would like the uninformed to believe, there is no law against "hate speech" in the public forum.

I think episodes like this one with Maher are actually healthy for a debate in this country that is all too often based upon lies and emotion rather than fact.

I hope Maher is not fired, but my guess is he will be.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Heaven knows Bill Maher doesn't need me to speak for him, or put words in his mouth, but after Kathy Griffin, if there is going to be some kind of "Wild Bunch" mow down of the comedians, I'm going to shoot from the lip and Bill will just have to duck like everybody else.

Satire:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
*yawn*

And I'm sure if we lived in a conservative utopia with all the liberal left people expunged, saying anything against the leadership would be considered "treason" and you'd be labeled a terrorist or "un-American".

The axe swings both directions.

Thought crimes exist among the right-wing extremists as well. If you say something un-American you're crucified by the alt-right people.

But none of this clicks with folks -- cognitive dissonance wins.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The N word is one of the most ridiculous words in the English Language. The word is only used to create divide, while its grey areas are continuously pressed over and over to provide a general consensus as to what people as a whole should define the word to mean.

If Maher were black, this would not even be a debate. The word is commonly used as a 'right of passage' within the black community. If the word is widely accepted as 'normal' to the culture, then it's nothing but divide to tell another culture when and how to use the word. It essentially means that divide is automatically created among HUMANS, as the user of the word is analyzed prior to the context of the word being used. Under this format of principle, it is equally racist to not be able to use the word for the simple reasons that relate to the actual pigment of one's skin. It gets into really grey areas that are unjust for HUMANS to have to process based on set prejudices. What are the whitest black people and blackest white people to do in these scenarios... mold to a standard of what color they are, instead of what culture they represent in their DNA/RNA?

Does anybody even know if Maher comes from a black family? Or are we just judging a book by the cover here? I could care less what he says... I am judging what he does in actions. Just because a U.S. standard exists where the word is acceptable to use by some, but not others... it does not mean that all people are buying into the set standards.

In fact, I created a new word that is sure to cause a stir. When I oppose the views/actions of another, I term that person to be a "Chigger". It's just enough of the original word to 'tow the line' of standard ethics, yet only has not been entered into Webster's Dictionary as to how I may define the word "Chigger", or who I am referring to... it may not even have a cultural significance.

So, that's what I define you people here that create divide from a simple word. You may very well be a large group of Chiggers... and none of you can call me out on who I am referring to... by color anyway. If me calling you a Chigger offends you, then you may need to use another word of divide... one with historical definitions.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Funny how the whole left blows up about this but hardly a peep about what Kathy Griffin did, which was 1000x worse.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's all a bunch of covfefe, imo.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
Black people didn't own other human beings in America like property and use that word to describe them.

probably never heard of anthony johnson

he owned back and white slaves...one of the first to do so in the colonies i think

i know the word kaffir has the same type of connotations in south africa as 'n-word' does in america.

i cant think of any other words like those 2 though

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
Funny how the whole left blows up about this but hardly a peep about what Kathy Griffin did, which was 1000x worse.

not correct to say hardly a peep
maybe youre not getting the reaction you want on this site but people are speaking against it

im sure no matter how many people mentioned you will say thats not enough but i dont have twitter so im not really looking. after a 2 second search

www.dailywire.com...

This is vile and wrong. It is never funny to joke about killing a president. twitter.com...

chelsea clinton^^^^^

It wasn't right when peoplel hung lynched Obama effigies, just as what Kathy Griffin did isn't right now.

debra messing^^^^

This Kathy Griffin thing is so upsetting and disgusting. Jesus--what is wrong with people today? Have we lost all our humanity?

soledad o brien^^^^^

i watched the hoe rogan podcast with andrew santino today and they were both dogging him for it.
jow actually surprised me cause he is a comic and a pretty liberal guy but he was punking her bad. he was saying the same thing most on here were saying about how it was like isis and a threat.
surprised me actually

so anyway yeah, lefties are speaking out against it.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I used to love the movies they actually made a few of them.

I still like Bill.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Peter wears a pink dress, and goes to the ghetto to scream "the n-word."

He comes back and says, "They respected me for saying it."

I'm white but a cousin of mine is mixed (Indian and Black). When I was younger I used to occasionally party with him and his friends and it was in a predominantly black neighborhood.

Needless to say, my pasty ass white self was referred to as "the n-word," (that seems so ridiculous typing it out) more so than the black dudes we were chilling with.

Man, people live in a bubble, for sure.

How is this even a news story? How is anyone actually outraged over this? How is Bill racist?

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
See? I told you so in reference to my comment on page 1.

Maher said in a statement: “Friday nights are always my worst night of sleep because I’m up reflecting on the things I should or shouldn’t have said on my live show. Last night was a particularly long night as I regret the word I used in the banter of a live moment. The word was offensive and I regret saying it and am very sorry.

www.zerohedge.com...

Like clockwork.
edit on E30America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jun 2017 14:52:32 -05006pmSaturdayrd02pm by EternalShadow because: add

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
See? I told you so.

www.zerohedge.com...

Like clockwork.

Oh boy. He caved in.

The power of the perpetually offended class in this country is amazing.

I wish Bill and all of the other comics that are fed up with this would finally take a stand and let the SJW's know that they will not be intimidated.

The problem for Maher is that this is his audience. So good luck with him pleading with these folks to get back in their good graces.

I will keep fighting for free speech and against the outrage culture no matter if I agree with what a person says or not.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

How is this even a news story? How is anyone actually outraged over this? How is Bill racist?

As pointed out, this is SJW's and the far left turning on their own which was always going to happen.

Why?

Because their whole basis in life is to find stuff to cry about.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

You should go watch some Ricky gervais he loves having a go at this kind d of stuff

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Grambler

You should go watch some Ricky gervais he loves having a go at this kind d of stuff

Oh I know he is great, and again, very liberal.

I think comedy is one of the things that makes life worth living.

It can tell profound truth, or just brighten up your day.

I remember when the comic world rallied around people like Lenny Bruce for censorship from the far right.

It turns out that the far left is a far more powerful foe to comedy than the far right ever was.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Satire:

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join