It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher Uses Racial Slur on ‘Real Time’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
In an interview with Ben Sasse, Bill Maher responded to a joke about him coming to Nebraska to work in the fields, with the reply.. "no, I'm a house n***"

This seems to have blown up somewhat.. Is this something that is offensive to people or is it just a joke?
Personally I think he should be allowed to say things like this without getting in trouble as long as everyone else is too.

www.nytimes.com...

www.thedailybeast.com...

www.mediaite.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 3/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Oh yea, he's going to get crucified.

White folks can not utter that term in society without someone (typically another white person) getting sorely bent out of shape.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

I think he said it with the 'ga' and not the 'er' if you know what I mean.

Of all the things I despise Bill Maher for, this isn't one of them.

He's a comedian, and although he isn't very funny he at least condemns PC ideology and calls it out for what it is.

So what if he's guilty of cultural appropriation?

edit on 6/3/2017 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Of course it was a joke and it's not offensive to me, personally, because it was meant as a joke.

It would be offensive if he said it with hateful or bigoted intent.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Meanwhile we sold arms to known terrorists.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
To be honest, just like the whole Kathy Griffin $h!t show, I don't really care.

I will grab the beer and popcorn, and settle in. Hoping this blows up, strictly for the LuLz.

Its fascinating watching society eat their own, and I find much amusement in it.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Good old Bill. Going out of his way to trigger as many people as possible week after week.

Gotta admire that.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

It really shouldn't blow up, though. At least not to anybody who believe's in a comedian's right to tell his jokes without having to adhere to some insane PC logic.

He's not a very funny comedian, but this doesn't even come close to the level of distaste that was achieved by Kathy Griffin.

But now that I think about it, I hope the liberals do turn on him so Bill Maher can expose them for their hypocrisy.

Here's to wishful thinking.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Never liked the guy or his ideologies.

This doesn't surprise me however. He thinks he's edgy and hip but he's merely a meat puppet who thinks just because he's liberal, he gets a pass from black people to use "their"word. Why you would want to own that is beyond me. You don't hear Asians calling each other chi#k, or Latinos calling each other spi#k do you?

It's just tasteless to even use it at all.

I hope he has a great week with the press, just like Kathy. Although he won't be able to sue the ENTIRE African American community for his troubles, so I forsee an apology coming pretty quick.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

and yet if a black comedian like Dave Chappelle also calls himself a n..... no-one bats an eye lid. This N word is a social enigma - I hear and see African-Americans saying it all the time to other African-Americans in both a derogatory and elevated tone and yet if a whitey says it, irrespective of the context, sh!t-meet-fan.

I just don't get it, Bill Maher is not a racist and to me this actually confirms it. I rarely agree with him, but he's bloody funny and I enjoy his sense of humor.

Everyone should be free to express themselves as they see fit, then come the consequences.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

It really shouldn't blow up, though. At least not to anybody who believe's in a comedian's right to tell his jokes without having to adhere to some insane PC logic.

I totally agree, it SHOULDN'T blow up.

But we have entered into some surreal alter universe where up is down, black is white, right is wrong.

I am just sitting back waiting to see how far the lunatic infection spreads.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I am just sitting back waiting to see how far the lunatic infection spreads.

Tru 'dat ni... I mean homie.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Maher is a huge Hillary shill and to add some more context he got into it pretty good with Cornell West a couple of weeks ago in an exchange that rankled some feathers in the African-American community.

The Root
Friday night on Real Time, Maher used Crutcher’s and Scott’s black bodies—and all black people shot down by police—as political props. He used their black lives as ledes and their slayings as segues into what he really wanted to do: Put their blood on West’s hands and on anyone’s who was critical of or didn’t vote for Clinton.

White liberalism in high definition

He's already on the radar of the people most likely to be offended by words like this and he just threw more fuel on the fire. He's going to have a rough few days. lol

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

im with you and it is an enigma surrounding that word
i dont understand it either and i see daily what you mentioned when the boys at work get to talking

you can walk into any conversation at any point on any topic and within a few minutes you will hear

if youre white you dare not say it though
it will hit the fan yo

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
He used a word to describe himself and the word is still racist?

Clearly he was not using it is a racial manner, a negative context for sure (as in towards the fact that blacks were used in chattel slavery in the US), but not racial in as HE was the juxtaposed in to role of fieldhand/house servant.

Had Trevor Noah said the same Joke it would not be an issue and perhaps would have been funny. When is slavery funny? Why should a foreigner be allowed to joke about America's history? See how easy it is to break holes in the "when he says it it's different argument"?

It's a word. It wasn't even a "racist" word, though people use words in a racial manner. I hate Bill Maher. I'd love to see him lose his job and everything he has, but not over something this petty.

If I was on my front porch with two of my black friends, two of my white friends, and two of my Mexican friends (I have a big porch) - and a guy walked up and said "come off the porch n**ah, I'm gonna whup your ass", we'd look at each other to see who he was talking to. If the same guy came up and said "come off the porch n**er, I'm gonna whup your ass, seven guys would be beating him down. There are two different words at play here.

Bill Maher isn't from where I'm from though. Perhaps as a limousine liberal he doesn't have the rights he thinks he does.

He used a word that around here just means "dude" where Maher grew up. He wouldn't be in any trouble at all if he had just stuck with his own life experiences and hadn't tried to "make a joke" out of somebody else's.
edit on 3-6-2017 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I get fed up of people who just dont get comedy.

Its a joke, not a very good joke, but its a joke.

He uses the joke on himself, its "funny" because he is not black. It is quite clearly not used in anyway intended to cause offence

I just think people need to stop taking these people so seriously.

It would have been racist to me if he started saying "I am white only black men can work in those fields"

Anyway I thought we were all hating on political correctness now?

Ricky Gervais explains this very well I think

edit on 3-6-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You know, the more outrage from this the more he'll use it for material on his show.

Just like every other thing involving him and the PC brigades fake outrage.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

He will be fired, the next victim in the comedy saga that has become the news media.

Now a days, liberals rule the news outlets and anybody else is expendable, control the information outlets and you control public opinion.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

He will be fired, the next victim in the comedy saga that has become the news media.

Now a days, liberals rule the news outlets and anybody else is expendable, control the information outlets and you control public opinion.

He will not be fired, nor should he be.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Now a days, with the media actions lately I expect that much.

I like him, hell I used to like Kathy Griffin, I don't get it, how much things have changed.

Going from funny sane to nasty extreme.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join