It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colleges Celebrate Diversity With Separate ‘Commencements’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Then what is your point? I am not seeing it.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

The same as a constant ask them?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

But it's not a tangent in the sense that you have an issue with separate bathrooms like that, but separating out commencements is no less silly and counterproductive.

The only possible way it would serve to increase diversity and awareness of diversity in the student body is by creating a list somewhere that people can see of all the various groups that exist at a school. It does nothing to further respect for those groups or tolerance or understanding of them.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

He asked me why would they celebrate diversity. How the hell should I know??? Why not ask them? They're the ones who did it, not me.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I suppse you see it as a problem. Others don't. Besides they WANTED it so who are we to tell them they're wrong?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

So getting together with only your "own color" and celebrating is a diverse thing to do? You have the definition of diversity wrong.

Same answer for my questions. Ask them, why bother.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: c2oden

Deflect? Out of control? For expressing my opinion that I don't think there's anything wrong with this?
Are you sure you are not out of control yourself?

I am in total control.
Bigly.
I'm about to make my mother-in-law some cabinets.
With a lazy susan, because she wants one.
edit on 2017-06-02T21:54:32-05:002201702America/Chicago6 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

So getting together with only your "own color" and celebrating is a diverse thing to do? You have the definition of diversity wrong.

Same answer for my questions. Ask them, why bother.

Yeah. Also why did he bother to ask me? He won't get an answer out of me because I don't know the answer.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

He asked you because you are part of this thread.

Seems like you have an odd and backwards idea of what diversity is.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

He asked you because you are part of this thread.

Seems like you have an odd and backwards idea of what diversity is.

We are discussing the OP not me. And you assumed my idea of what diversity is. That isn't my problem.
Diversity simply means various races, languages and cultures all together.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Maybe they needed separate ceremonies because they weren't smart enough to stand in line with everyone else. /sarcasm off.
And if they aren't smart enough to see that they made it in a school of that caliber but aren't smart enough to realize that we are all people and should just get along and live together then do they really deserve those degrees?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

So omitting all other races is diverse?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Again I said it's paradoxical. That itself is what brings attention to it. That's the way I see it.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

We disagree then.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

It's ok. I am just explaining how I see it. I hope you understand what I meant. If I wasn't clear I apologize.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

I suppse you see it as a problem. Others don't. Besides they WANTED it so who are we to tell them they're wrong?

What if the others in the student body didn't want it?

The moral argument out to justify why this is totally different than segregation is that they didn't want it then. Well, what if one side doesn't want it now? Does it matter if they want it this time? Are their opinions on it the only ones who matter? What about the opinions of larger society?

Generally speaking, if a group of certain types of social in groups wanted to pull themselves aside similarly, the complaining would be bitter and you know it.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Well I would love to hear from them. I'm sure many have commented againt this on social media.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Duwain what a name
:roll

Sort of name that if I saw on a CV Id bin!

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
The difference is in this case, the black people are banding together by choice and celebrating the fact that they are black rather than being forced out of the white man's culture.

It is still ironic that it ends up looking like segregation. Also, I personally question this kind of graduation procedure. I think that a community includes everyone in the community.

Ok can whites band together and celebrate being white?........

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

No need. We're doing it to ourselves, no need for an outside source.

I have a dream is fast becoming I'm living a nightmare.

This is what the Rev. King, and so many others, both light and dark, religious and not, fought and died for??

Huh.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join