It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could there be a 'new' natural disaster?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Is it possible that there could be another type of natural disaster that our planet is capable of that is so rare that it has either never happened or happened so far back there is no written account?

Over the past few years it seems the intensity of natural disasters has increased and I can't help but wonder if the earth is prepping for 'the big one' which could be something that none of us even knew existed or was possible.

Any thoughts?

Jemison

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Of course there can be at anytime.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I agree, SpittingCobra...it's only a matter of time before the next big earthquake or glacier to give way. There could be an asteroid that comes out of nowhere too...nasa doesn't see them all coming.
We're overdue in a lot of ways...but, there'll always be some survivors, so why worry, right?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Is it possible that there could be another type of natural disaster that our planet is capable of that is so rare that it has either never happened or happened so far back there is no written account?

Possible, but not probable. Humans have been living on the planet for thousands of years and a very good fossil history of immediate past and we have HOLLYWOOD. I think that pretty much cuts down the surprise factor of the natural disaster.

Surf

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No, no no. I'm not talking about a natural disaster like an earthquake or tsunami or something we all know about. I'm talking about an UNKNOWN natural disaster.

As in, one day I could be sitting on my patio sipping coffee watching my children play outside and all of a sudden something in the sky could suck all of the air out of California. Or at some point a giant hole could form in the earths core and all of the ocean water would be sucked in and what was once ocean would then be desert.

Are there people/Scientiests that sit around and brain storm about all of the possibilities?

Do you think there are some types of natural disasters that have not yet occurred but that Scientists are aware of but aren't making public?

Jemison

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
No, no no. I'm not talking about a natural disaster like an earthquake or tsunami or something we all know about. I'm talking about an UNKNOWN natural disaster.

Are there people/Scientiests that sit around and brain storm about all of the possibilities?

Do you think there are some types of natural disasters that have not yet occurred but that Scientists are aware of but aren't making public?
Jemison

If the disaster is truly unknown, we wouldn't know if it exists or not will we?

There could be something that has been lying dormant for the past billion years and decide to wake up today and kill us all, but until it shows that it is not dormant, we have no way to seeing if it is just dormant or if it our imagination at work there.

So basically yes and no.

Surf

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Now I'm thinking about all those nasty germs that may have been dormant, locked up in Arctic ice and coming alive because of global warming.

Or is that still a natural disaster that we knew about?

top topics

join