It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Diplomats: Trump Team Sought to Lift Sanctions on Russia

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

The Trump administration was gearing up to lift sanctions on Russia when the president took office, but career diplomats ginned up pressure in Congress to block the move, two senior former State Department officials told NBC News Thursday.

It's the latest evidence that President Trump moved to turn his favorable campaign rhetoric about Russia into concrete action when he took power.

Daniel Fried, who served as a senior diplomat until he retired in late February, said he became aware of the sanctions effort in the early weeks of Trump's presidency.

Look at that, an actual named source.

The Trump team backed off, Malinowski said he believes, because officials came to see that lifting the sanctions would look terrible in light of the drumbeat of revelations over potential Trump campaign coordination with the Russian election interference effort.

"It would be politically stinky," he said.

Malinowski said he is now concerned that even if the Trump administration doesn't lift sanctions on Russia, it will stop vigilantly enforcing them. The U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control, which polices sanctions, does not have a permanent chief, and the State Department does not have a permanent sanctions coordinator.

That last part is what is interesting to me. Trump doesn't have to worry about lifting sanctions on Russia in any way as long as there isn't anyone appointed to enforce the sanctions.

What do you know...

"What was troubling about these stories is that suddenly I was hearing that we were preparing to rescind sanctions in exchange for, well, nothing," Fried said on MSNBC.

Hmmmmm....

Link

Neato.....

Sanctions were already heavily influenced with Obama and Hillary cherry picking those that the US would work with.

And of course there's that famous gaffe by Obama when the microphone caught him saying how much easier things would be once he won his second term...

So....I guess sanctions are really just a big bully negotiating piece....remember the big red button Hillary gave the Russians....it was EASY right?

Sanctions aren't just a "bully" negotiating piece. I think you're confusing political theater with actual geopolitics.

So why were some of Putin's largest companies and players that were appointed by him allowed to buy our uranium, control Joule and build a massive facility for RUSNANO in the US during this time? And why were they allowed to continue to operate to this day if these relations were so horrible and Putin was so bad?

That's under the Obama administration. Maybe he was working with Russia as well? I don't know. What I do know is how shady what Trump is doing now is. And I believe this is one of the first named sources of many to come..

explain what shady things Trump is doing now. This particular thing is not something hidden or shady based on what your article says.

The way he carries himself, the fact that every time he opens his mouth he's either speaking pure hyperbole or straight up misrepresenting the truth to his advantage. The times this has happened are literally too many to type out here in any readable way.

I guess you could say it's the general scumminess of how he relates to the American people, who he works for. All of this combines to form my distrust of Trump.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Yeah, a real democratic election they had in Crimea. Never mind that the numbers really don't make sense..

To the surprise of absolutely no one, yesterday’s Crimean referendum on secession from Crimea and joining Russia resulted in a “yes” vote. What is, perhaps, somewhat striking is that the official results state that an incredible 96.7% of the voters voted yes. A 96.7% is almost never seen on anything at all controversial outside of places like North Korea – or, of course, the old Soviet Union, which Russian President Vladimir Putin served as a high-ranking KGB officer.

Link

I'm sure Putin and Russia had nothing to do with that. As sure as I am that Trump has nothing to hide about Russia..
edit on 2-6-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

But people with dirt on Hillary or Obama can do it all they like and it's automatically true, right?

Come on xue, I know you're smart enough to see what a huge double standard you have set up for Trump here.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The Trump administration was gearing up to lift sanctions on Russia when the president took office, but career diplomats ginned up pressure in Congress to block the move, two senior former State Department officials told NBC News Thursday.

It's the latest evidence that President Trump moved to turn his favorable campaign rhetoric about Russia into concrete action when he took power.

Daniel Fried, who served as a senior diplomat until he retired in late February, said he became aware of the sanctions effort in the early weeks of Trump's presidency.

The Trump team backed off, Malinowski said he believes, because officials came to see that lifting the sanctions would look terrible in light of the drumbeat of revelations over potential Trump campaign coordination with the Russian election interference effort.

"It would be politically stinky," he said.

Malinowski said he is now concerned that even if the Trump administration doesn't lift sanctions on Russia, it will stop vigilantly enforcing them. The U.S. Treasury's Office of Foreign Asset Control, which polices sanctions, does not have a permanent chief, and the State Department does not have a permanent sanctions coordinator.

That last part is what is interesting to me. Trump doesn't have to worry about lifting sanctions on Russia in any way as long as there isn't anyone appointed to enforce the sanctions.

What do you know...

"What was troubling about these stories is that suddenly I was hearing that we were preparing to rescind sanctions in exchange for, well, nothing," Fried said on MSNBC.

Hmmmmm....

Link

Neato.....

Sanctions were already heavily influenced with Obama and Hillary cherry picking those that the US would work with.

And of course there's that famous gaffe by Obama when the microphone caught him saying how much easier things would be once he won his second term...

So....I guess sanctions are really just a big bully negotiating piece....remember the big red button Hillary gave the Russians....it was EASY right?

Sanctions aren't just a "bully" negotiating piece. I think you're confusing political theater with actual geopolitics.

So why were some of Putin's largest companies and players that were appointed by him allowed to buy our uranium, control Joule and build a massive facility for RUSNANO in the US during this time? And why were they allowed to continue to operate to this day if these relations were so horrible and Putin was so bad?

That's under the Obama administration. Maybe he was working with Russia as well? I don't know. What I do know is how shady what Trump is doing now is. And I believe this is one of the first named sources of many to come..

explain what shady things Trump is doing now. This particular thing is not something hidden or shady based on what your article says.

The way he carries himself, the fact that every time he opens his mouth he's either speaking pure hyperbole or straight up misrepresenting the truth to his advantage. The times this has happened are literally too many to type out here in any readable way.

I guess you could say it's the general scumminess of how he relates to the American people, who he works for. All of this combines to form my distrust of Trump.

OK, fair enough. He's like Obama was to me. An asshole.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I'm curious as to whether or not the positions in our government Trump has left unfilled are for the purpose of cutting redundant positions, or if there is a personal motivation for not having anyone in those positions..

That there is no one in place to even enforce sanctions against Russia is a giant red flag to me.
edit on 2-6-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
When you post a thread about the president's misdeeds with actual sources..

ATS 2017

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

ATS 2017

But, what does this have to do with Kathy Griffin?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

ATS 2017

What misdeeds? Maybe there are crickets because all you have posted is a story about a diplomat saying Trump was considering lifting sanctions. How is that a misdeed? You'll have to explain a bit more.
edit on 2/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Look at that buried deep in the article...

Fried declined to say who approached him, but "I found the story sufficiently credible, that I was concerned that there might actually be something done quickly."

Not an actual named source...
*sigh*
Come on OP!

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

LOL

Busted.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

Look at that buried deep in the article...

Fried declined to say who approached him, but "I found the story sufficiently credible, that I was concerned that there might actually be something done quickly."

Not an actual named source...
*sigh*
Come on OP!

Lol. Nice try, but that doesn't affect any info in the OP.

Theres the deflection I've become accustomed to..

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Bumping this highly successful topic !!

Bump in the Night.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

You are sooooo petty.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks
What is troubling, is this notion that Trump
(or surrogate(s))
is/are knocking on doors
trying to breach gaps or ...partitions

Partitions made by design
to keep things seperate

Clearly,the article doesn't say it outloud
buuut, Trump seems to feel "invested" with *kingly rights*
>of a dark-ages bullying,,mad as bats kinda kinglyness

There seems to a pattern emerging
of Trump trying to meddle
"meddle" where no president should

He's gonna be his own downfall

No schadenfreude, but .. pres. Pence

edit on 2/6/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/6/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You are sooooo petty.

It's just an indication of how much I ruffle the conservatives feathers on ATS.

#WINNING

edit on 3-6-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Bump and Thump Thud

Fail

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Bump and Thump Thud

Fail

Any thoughts about anything having to do with the OP? Longer than a sentence or two?

More personal attacks are cool too, you seem to really get off on that type of thing. Actually discussing things, not so much.

So, do you find it weird that Trump doesn't have anyone in the positions required to oversee sanctions?

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Crimea is officially part of Russia. To have Crimea returned to Ukraine would require Crimea War 2 and millions of American lives. The American public would never go ahead with sacrificing millions of Americans for Crimea.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If this info was real, he would be talking in a private and sealed atmosphere with the Special Counsel, not MSinBC.

The fact that Trump wanted to repeal the sanction that the Obama Administration imposed on Russia was well known at the time.

Republicans warn Trump against lifting Russia sanctions By Elana Schor 01/27/2017
edit on 3-6-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Dropping the sanctions on Russia is a bad thing why exactly?

In one word, Crimea.

It's a surreal world when a country with the history of the US has the brass neck to call for sanctions on anyone.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join