It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you see your life as meaningful?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Other than marriages and children and other relationships, what do you think is the meaning of your life? Yeah, you can talk about how you gave, but that disappears in a short period of time.

I think I am part of everything. I've gotten better when it comes to considering the needs of others. I doubt there is a meaning to my life, but I am hopeful there is. Malignant forces seem to be in charge right now, but I have to believe that it would be very disappointing if something powerful wasn't coming our way from the benevolent ones. Either way, I will try my hardest to help the side of love.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Other than marriages and children and other relationships

And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

A little mood Music for your thread.
edit on 2-6-2017 by Observationalist because: Spacing

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Other than marriages and children and other relationships, what do you think is the meaning of your life?

I also think everything is one. I think the part of me that identifies as an individual me is here to observe.

Everything I experience, everything I observe, it's all the meaning of life to me.

And one day I will die and that energy that is me will change state into something else. Maybe I'll be a star one day again.

Maybe the meaning of life is just training to be a star.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
This is a great question and one I think very few people genuinely contemplate in the proverbial sense. When I was younger and idealistic ( i.e. brainwashed ) before I became awake and aware I used to think "meaningful" was all about what I did for the betterment of myself through helping others. I soon realized what a self serving selfish reverse psychological mind f**k this is. Help OTHERS to make MYSELF feel better? Wow...what a total load of BS that was.

Now I realize living a meaningful life is simply being present in everything I do each and every minute. The more aware of my present environment, the more engaged in each moment, the more connected I am at any given point in "time" brings true meaning to everything I do. Be it saying "hello" and smiling towards someone who looks as if they need it, saving a ladybug from burning up in my window sill and releasing her outside, or stopping on the side of the road to rescue an injured bird like I did last week. It's the little things on a moment by moment basis that create meaning in anything I do.

Knowing when to be serious versus when not to. Regarding helping others here is what I feel. I'm not a religious man but I often think of one of the most quoted versus where Jesus said, "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime". Or something to that effect. That is simple and beautiful logic.

I don't give out money to pan handlers. I have helped people who were stranded. Administered first aid to complete strangers or given rides to those whom I deemed in need and were not a threat to my personal safety. I've given advice to people who make naive statements in the hopes they see things in a different light. I've been the willing recipient of advice as well.

Every moment is individually unique. Even now as I type this message I am reminded of how amazing every moment can be when you are fully present in that moment.

You say you doubt your life has meaning? Perhaps don't look at your entire life as a summary and try not to assign some mental value where the conditioned brain arrives at a plus or minus sum.

But I do tend to agree with you in general about the concept of our lives not really having meaning in the traditional sense. I do not believe we were all born with a purpose in life. But that doesn't mean I cannot create value, purpose, and meaning on a moment by moment basis. And for no other reason than out of desire versus need. Some people need to feel their life has meaning, value, or purpose. That is a false feeling that always leads to emptiness because it is disingenuous.

Your post was very meaningful because it spurred me to write this response and reinforced my very strong belief system of making every moment meaningful by being present. I understand why you wrote what you wrote, too. It is not lost on me.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Our lives are meaningful in so far as we are here to learn and grow as soul. As human beings we have a unique opportunity to advance ourselves spiritually by overcoming challenges and taking personal responsibility for our decisions and in some cases the lack of those decisions.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I volunteer in drug and alcohol rehab. People get clean and sober, I help that journey. Makes me feel like I've done a little something for humanity. My dog think I'm the #! Loves me completely, that's good enough for me!!

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I am a perspective that is unique (like everyone else, I know).
If there is something greater, my perspective of this life is as valuable as the highest king or a person who died as a toddler.

If there is nothing greater, then its whatever meaning I decide to have from day to day.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   
To me, the transferance and accumulation of energy. Be it knowledge or more quantum, information. All one returning into union. Only to deliver our individual parcels of info and said experience. Which ever cycle phase or station things are far more grand yet irrelavant simultaneously. My goal is to feel every decree of every nano second. I'd like my report to be thourough lol and vivid

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I am a very strange one marriages and children and other relationships mean nothing to me and hold no place in my life. I have 3 meaningful relationships left out of everyone I know in this world 2 of those are relatives and the others been my best friend for 20 years and I have never been happier in my life then where I am at now with very little in terms of material and relationships.

I use to have tons of friends hanging out with 5 or 6 people coming through my house a day but I have never truly been happy in life surrounded by other people.

about 2 years ago I bought 40 acres in the desert for cheap since theirs nothing around and put a few shipping containers on the property with solar/wind power and a well and have never looked back.

I have meat rabbits and chickens if I get lonely and theirs always plenty to do in the gardens.

I see people once every 2-3 months if im lucky when I drive about 20 miles to town but other then that I just talk to people occasionally on the internet and feel that ive finally found peace and happiness in my life for the first time.

sure its rough living but to me its a meaningful life living off the land sure most people would want some company around but I like to be lost in my thoughts 24/7 feels more meaningful then empty hollow relationships with shallow people.

but anyways what I was getting at is life feels meaningless until you find the life that truly makes you happy then everything just falls into place and everything feels like it has a meaning...

hope that answered your question from my perspective - best regards
edit on 2-6-2017 by HaurusTheShaman because: added spaceing so its easier to read

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Other than marriages and children and other relationships, what do you think is the meaning of your life? Yeah, you can talk about how you gave, but that disappears in a short period of time.

I think I am part of everything. I've gotten better when it comes to considering the needs of others. I doubt there is a meaning to my life, but I am hopeful there is. Malignant forces seem to be in charge right now, but I have to believe that it would be very disappointing if something powerful wasn't coming our way from the benevolent ones. Either way, I will try my hardest to help the side of love.

What does your life mean is a different question than how do you derive meaning and satisfaction from living your life.

What you life means many not be an answerable question. What your life means comes from how other people judge you.

Mikey got with Sharon, Sharon got Sheriee
She was sharin' Sharon's outlook on the topic of disease
Mikey had a facial scar and Bobby was a racist
They were all in love dying they were doin' it in Texas
Tommy played piano like a kid out in the rain then he lost his leg in Dallas he was dancin' with the train
They were all in love with dying they were drinkin' from a fountian
That is pouring like an avalance coming down the mountian
I don't mind the sun sometimes the images it shows
I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes
Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies
You never know just how you look through other people's eyesll die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountian
That is pouring like and avalance coming down the mountian
You never know just how you look through other people's eyes
Another Mikey took a knife while arguing in traffic
Flipper died a natural death he caught a nasty virus
Then there was the ever-present football player rapist they were all in love with dying they were doin' it in Texas
Holly caught a bullet but it only hit his leg
While it should have been a better shot he got him in the head
They were all in love with dying they were drinkin' from a fountian
That was pouring like an avalance coming down the mountian
You never know just how you look through other people's eyes

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Unless you live in Ohio. Then no growth is possible.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
As long as I flush the toilet at McDonalds before using it and putting toilet paper in the bowl first before taking poo, yes, life is very meaningful to mean. Seriously something to think about actually.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

'Wont know til Im gone....just live by one philosophy. Im only a single grain of sand in tons of universes of quad-trillion-zillion grains of sand...

1. Learn 1 simple new thing each day. A word, a fact, a meaning....
2. Help one person in some small way everyday...
3. Dont be too hard on myself when I make a mistake...which invariably I will.

God is good, Im blessed to have another day, everyday....

Peace, Love n Light...always

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Yeah, you can talk about how you gave, but that disappears in a short period of time.

I disagree.

One of the more profound pieces of Masonic ritual speaks of how charity 'extends beyond the grave'. There are numerous examples of how people have created endowments or organizations that have bettered people's lives long after their founders have died.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Other then natures rules of meaningful ( be plentiful and do long division )
None of our life have any meaning .
want me to show you ?
Ok 1 month after you die your family will still cry you will be remembered .
6 months have going by and the wiffeee is now with another guy . But you will be remembered even if the tears have dried .
5 years are going now your names only on a stone It hasn't been uttered it hasn't been thought No one left thinking of you not even one thought .
50 years have passed the stone has been ground by time only the grave keeper has visited in 20 years he looks at the stone peers close but cant read the name all that is left now is a ghost .
No one will be remembered in 100,000 years not kings not any one there time is just a click longer then yours .
In 500,000 years the very earth wont know a man as animals graze on top of what were once city's .
So tring to find meaning to your life is a wast of time because not even natures rules will reber your kind .
As with a million other kinds have been forgot by time .

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Depressing isnt it ? I fought to find a way to bet it and be rembered
but after 50 years know time forget all
you knwo what even funnyer ?
if man doesnt kill him self off he will still be forgoton as in 10000000 years he will be something other then a man
edit on 2-6-2017 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Night Star, you are right that after a time, all memories of our lives will be gone. But birthing a son or daughter that you guide towards loving ways can have consequences for generations. Though with enough time, the civilization dies, and all consequences cease. I'm just going to assume that we need to grow more spiritually strong for some reality that is significantly better than this world. And while it is in your interest to grow spiritually, you are making the effort for the sake of others.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Maybe midnightstar is different than Night Star? Yes, I think so.

new topics

top topics

join