It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Philippine police say the suspect in the attack on a hotel and casino complex near Manila's airport has been found dead of apparent suicide. Metropolitan Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde says the English-speaking suspect was found dead with his rifle on the fifth floor of the Resorts World Manila complex. He says the gunman apparently killed himself. Police are searching the suspect's car, parked on the second floor. Before the attack, he got out of the car and entered the building with his rifle.
originally posted by: Krakatoa
UPDATE: I just saw a blurb reported on the MSM that the motive was robbery, and not terrorism.
The country's police chief Ronald dela Rosa said the lone gunman had not fired at people and had headed straight towards the room where the gambling chips were kept. He told reporters at the scene: "Don't panic, this is not a cause for alarm. We cannot attribute this to terrorism. "We are looking into a robbery angle because he did not hurt any people and went straight to the casino chips storage room. "He parked at the second floor and barged into the casino, shooting large TV screens and poured gasoline on a table setting it on fire."
The Sun (UK): Masked gunman storms Manila hotel and opens fire in brutal ‘casino chips robbery’ as terrified guests leap out of windows amid claims it was an ‘ISIS’ terror attack
Fox News AlertVerified account @foxnewsalert 19m19 minutes ago More
MANILA CASINO ATTACK: At least 36 suffocated in complex from smoke set off by gunman, police say
'Burned himself' Authorities said the man, who has yet to be named, entered the casino shortly after midnight and began shooting at television screens with an assault rifle, sending terrified patrons fleeing. He also set gaming tables on fire and filled a backpack with gambling chips worth 113m Philippine pesos (£1.7m, $2.3m). The man later fled to the hotel section of the complex, leaving behind the backpack, and entered a hotel room. "He lay down on the bed, covered himself with a thick blanket, apparently poured petrol on the blanket and burned himself," national police chief Ronald Dela Rosa said on Friday.
Manalo also said the closest motive that authorities see is that the gunman was retaliating for "losing a lot" from gambling. ...He said investigators alleged that the suspect lost as much as "one hundred million [pesos]," an amount they have yet to confirm.
Earlier accounts indicated more than one suspect. A supervisor at the hotel named Jun Mangosing ...told Radio DZMM he and the others went down via the staircase, and saw several men, guns drawn, combing through the third floor, which houses private rooms of VIP casino players, including foreigners.
..Ronald, a witness who worked in hotel’s maintenance, claimed he had seen two tall men wearing bonnets enter the second floor, then open fire in the air – not at the people – with “long” guns.
Casino player Julio Silva said the second floor was filled with thick smoke after he emerged from the toilet, where he hid for 30 minutes when he first heard the gunshots.
They were then escorted to a safer spot by security men of the hotel and responding SWAT teams.
As they were trying to hide near the luggage room on the ground floor, shots rang out once again, Silva told DZMM, adding that he heard one of their rescuers said, “May tama ako [I’m hit]!”
One account from the authorities said the attacker took 130 million pesos in chips, worth about $2.6 million, during his spree. How he intended to cash them was not explained.
...The gunman arrived alone at the Manila resort by taxi. Investigators found and interviewed the taxi driver, who said he picked up the man in the San Lazaro neighborhood...
He said the man's car in the complex car park was being examined.
...the gunman had been a longtime-guest who had a room on the fifth floor and was known to security personnel,
... One man who escaped, a Filipino poker player who did not want to be identified, told the radio station DZMM that the hotel’s sprinklers did not work.
...Officials said the building’s sprinklers helped suppress the fires.
PNP chief director general Ronald dela Rosa now says CCTV footage from inside the casino shows a “foreign-looking” Caucasian individual who they suspect is a robber.
Manila police chief, Oscar Albayalde, told reporters that the suspect was likely foreign. “He looks Caucasian, he talks English, he’s big and he’s white, so he’s probably a foreigner,” he said