It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 16

page: 97
<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

The concept of cheating to gain an advantage in such a trivial contest IS indeed laughable Pheonix!

I am personally upset because a LOT of work goes into making sure that it all happens in the first place.
Someone has to work on the contest theme & rules (usually in conjunction with the previous contest winner), create a suitable launch announcement & thread, answer any questions regarding the contests, check that every entry is valid, check for any stray entries that aren't linked properly, keep tabs on the timing of the contest's end, make sure there are no entries after the closing date, keep track of the voting phase & make sure no votes are lodged/counted after the close of the voting phase, then check and tally up every single flag, every initial post star and every subsequent post star for every entry, then work out and publish the results etc.

Then all of that work gets undermined, and the contest gets disrupted and all of the genuine participants are left wondering WTF? because the detail of what's happened can't be discussed.

It's one of the few threads on ATS, outside of the shed, where there is no trolling, no arguments, no name-calling etc. Just genuine, honest creativity at its finest.
I'm upset because apparently some other people don't value that as highly as I do.

G

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Yes, I understand completely. It is tiresome and it makes it hard for everyone which makes you angry

So you can do my bit of crying and I will let loose with some guttural belly laughs on your behalf because when you get right down to it ... the utter stupidity of some people just makes me laugh!

If I did not laugh, I would get angry.

Having the choice ... I laugh at idiots.

What upsets me is that we will never know the sleuthing, the aha moment, the investigation and the fallout! Such a great epic in the detective world ... and we will never be told.

P

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Good morning my beautiful Shedigans!
I'm still in the world of disasters so no playing for me

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Hi Sweetie, I see you.

What a mess. Are you taking care of your self?
Do I really have to replace the water in the water cooler with you know what?
a reply to: Martin75
]]]]]]]]]]HUGS[[[[[[[[[[[
WIS

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: WalkInSilence

I showed my boss your water cooler...he approved

That Owl is beautiful! Is that it's feathers?
edit on 7/3/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hello Shedizens -

Anyone around today?

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Right, the whole idea behind the contest is to have a spirit of friendly competition. To see who can craft the finest piece of writing. I dont know how someone might cheat, but it seems to me that a lot of times posters in the contest might be ignored because they dont have as many friends. So i was thinking about how that might be subverted and i thought what if we submitted our submissions to the moderators in pms and the mods post our submissions anonymously so it wont garner the attention of everyone on peoples massive friend list.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Hi Lucid!

I agree the flags/stars is not a perfect system, but I think PM'ing the stories to the mods or contest operators puts a significant burden on them.

I wonder if there's a way to create a rotating, dynamic "panel" that would evaluate the stories in various categories - creativity/originality, adherence to theme, command of language, etc.

Thing is, you'd need to bake the panel membership into the contests somehow - like the top three in each division become the next panelists. Except that wouldn't work either, because they would not be able to judge their own stories...ugh.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hi Lucid, Prairie

I would second the idea of anonymously presented stories in the competition. It worked out for Chateau Montelena Chardonnay in 1976.

Story is the US couldn't win any wine competition in France until the judges didn't know its not a French wine as it was a blind tasting. And that win put Napa on the international wine map.

They made a movie about it called 'Bottle shock'

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

So, for that to work you'd need a pair of non-judging coordinators who delegated the stories to the judges, author info removed.

Would work like this:
Contestants submit stories by PM to BOTH coordinators.
Coordinators record authorship, remove author info, then pass stories on to 5 members of the 6-member panel. (Reason for 5 and not 6: that way the panel members can participate, the coordinators just do not send them their own story.)
Panel members return scores to coordinators, who record scores with authorship. Each coordinator keeps their own record of scores.
At end of contest, each coordinator submits their record of scores to a Mod who verifies integrity or works with coords/judges to resolve any inconsistencies (to prevent manipulation by coords).
Mod or contest operator posts verified winners.

You could also ask/require each panel member to keep their own record of scores per story. That would serve as a secondary check against any collusion.

It's a lot more complicated than simple stars/flags, and would require administrative contribution of the contest participants. But, I kind of think if the writing community here believes there is a certain popularity-contest aspect to the current system, and wants to reduce it, this might help.

Just some thoughts on it, that's all.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

Yeah it does look complicated lotsa extra work for mods sadly..

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

I disagree. The only thing I have the Mods doing in that setup is verifying the results of the panel. Every other role - the coordinators and the panel - could be taken by participants from the previous contest. For example, previous contest:
1st Place (writer): Chooses contest, acts as coordinator
1st Place (non-writer): 2nd Coordinator
2nd-4th places (both divisions): Panel members

You would need a minimum of 8 previous participants to form a new contest.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Sorry I missed everyone earlier. I am also sorry to hear about the story contest disaster, whatever it is that may have happened there.

Just trying to chill and listen to some music and stuff. I'll be checking in though.

edit on 3-7-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hi 'Raine,
No disaster really, just some stupid nefarious shenanigans which unfortunately we cannot discuss.

On other fronts..... I found a van today! (After looking at hundreds online and viewing about 20 pieces of sh*t in person to the point where I was just about to give up!)
It might be ready for the weekend if all goes well with it's prep and testing. (Fingers crossed!)
I have placed a deposit on said van about an hour ago... so one crisis has (just about) been circumnavigated! (All being well!)

edit on 3-7-2017 by Gordi The Drummer because: fix grammar

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

So happy to hear you found a van in time!!!!!! Yay!!!! What a relief eh?

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Good news, Gordi!

*waves at Night Star*
Howdy Mayor Night Star!

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Hiya Shep! How are you doing today so far?

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Awesome. I'm working remotely today so (confession) I'm still in lounging clothes. It is a GORGEOUS day on the prairie today - comfortable temp (77-78) and a light breeze. Had some super-delicious black tea with cream and a bit of muscovado.

I'm about ready for a late lunch, though.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Lounging clothes...translation: jammies.

posted on Jul, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Well..........

Yeah, pretty much...

I don't actually sleep in these though. So I can still justifiably call them "lounging clothes."

What? They're comfortable!!!

top topics

<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join