It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NY Court Finds Ban on Same-Sex Marriage Unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A New York State Judge found that a law banning same-sex marriages to be in violation of the New York State Constitution. The judge ruled that the City of New York was wrong to deny same-sex couples a marriage license and ordered the State to construe gendered words such as "bride" and "groom" as gender-neutral alternatives. New York City may appeal the ruling.

www.foxnews.com
NEW YORK  — A judge declared Friday that a law banning same-sex marriage violates the state constitution, a ruling that would allow gay couples to wed if it is upheld on appeal.

State Supreme Court Justice Doris Ling-Cohan ruled that the words "husband," "wife," "groom" and "bride" in relevant sections of the Domestic Relations Law "shall be construed to mean 'spouse,"' and "all personal pronouns ... shall be construed to apply equally to either men or women."

Ling-Cohan ruled on the side of five same-sex couples who were denied marriage licenses. She said the New York City clerk could not deny a license to any couple solely on the ground that the two are of the same sex.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is vindication of the tactics of opponents of same-sex marriage to support state and federal constitutional amendments against such marriages. While I support some type of government recognition of same-sex unions, same-sex marriage is an anathema to the American public and it will not stand. In my opinion the gay community is harming itself by trying to push this on the public through the courts as draconian amendments to constitutions may end up curtailing the possibility of even unions as well as marriage.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My daughter's gay, and I knew it from the time she was 14 years old, not because she looked gay but because of how she would humor me when I teased her about boys. She'd kid around about being too busy with school and activities, but by the time her girlfriends began dating, she'd do what a lot of gay girls do--excell at sports, and continue being too busy. Since those early days, we've cried together over it, not because of shame but because of the pain she's endured not wanting to be gay. I too wish they weren't forced to speed their agenda of wanting acceptance, but they need it and we need, as human beings, to try to find it in our hearts to accept them, I'm sure God does.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi
My daughter's gay, and I knew it from the time she was 14 years old, not because she looked gay but because of how she would humor me when I teased her about boys. She'd kid around about being too busy with school and activities, but by the time her girlfriends began dating, she'd do what a lot of gay girls do--excell at sports, and continue being too busy. Since those early days, we've cried together over it, not because of shame but because of the pain she's endured not wanting to be gay. I too wish they weren't forced to speed their agenda of wanting acceptance, but they need it and we need, as human beings, to try to find it in our hearts to accept them, I'm sure God does.

This not about whos gay, how you become gay, what gays do, accepting gays, or even if God accepts gays (which he doesn't, sorry)

This is about changing laws that were written in a time that did not take into account the idea of homosexual marriges and thus needs elected governement to fix the laws as needed to reflect the change in todays society and it's values.

The worst problem about all of this is that since the Bush Administation is placing it into the laps of the state, you will have a checkerboard across the nation where your marriage is reconzied and not reconized.

IMHO the real focus should be is on civil union laws that work for both same sex, and hetero relationships, cause otherrwise it is almsot like a form of forced segregation

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I am for gay rights and I feel that gay marriage should not be a state issue as what Jehosephat said, its going to be a checkerboard which is wrong. Furthermore I strongly believe that the federal government banning same sex marriage is wrong.

Right now we should focus on getting them civil unions nationwide, and then work on marriage. We can't get to the final lap at the first round, it'll start off slowly like when blacks got their equal due. I say in about 25 years we will have gay marriage.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Blacks in this country had to win their rights the old fashioned way -- they earned it. They earned it by winning the hearts and minds of the population and getting legislation passed by the people's elected representatives! Many blacks see the gay strategy of using the courts as a shortcut to gain their new desired legal status as wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

They earned it by winning the hearts and minds of the population and getting legislation passed by the people's elected representatives!

Really? Nice to know that we are not equal, and thats the reason they have the same rights.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

. They earned it by winning the hearts and minds of the population and getting legislation passed by the people's elected representatives!

And here I was under the impression they earned it by getting a judge to overrule their racist elected representatives and when the bigots refused to comply the national guard had to be called in to force compliance. Shows how much I know about desegregation I guess...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Blacks in this country had to win their rights the old fashioned way -- they earned it. They earned it by winning the hearts and minds of the population and getting legislation passed by the people's elected representatives! Many blacks see the gay strategy of using the courts as a shortcut to gain their new desired legal status as wrong.

I guess that Brown vs. Board of Education, Bowling vs. Sharpe, and the numerous related cases and appeals (notably United States vs. Jefferson County Board of Ed) that followed in both state and federal supreme courts aren't that memorable.. nor was the court battle that ended the Montgomery Bus Boycott, or the numerous cases through the 70's and 80's and today on affirmative action...

If anything, homosexuals have learned from the civil rights movements of fighting discrimination in the courts as well as attempting to promote tolerance (much to the chagrin of Dr. James Dobson and fundamentalist Christians all over the United States...)

top topics

join