It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's thinnest hologram paves path to new 3-D world

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Now, this is a cool new tech.

Researchers pave way towards integration of 3-D holography into electronics like smart phones, computers and TVs, with development of nano-hologram 1,000 times thinner than a human hair.

Credit: Image courtesy of RMIT University

The potential uses for this tech are numerous, and will benefit many varied sciences.

"Integrating holography into everyday electronics would make screen size irrelevant -- a pop-up 3D hologram can display a wealth of data that doesn't neatly fit on a phone or watch. "From medical diagnostics to education, data storage, defence and cyber security, 3D holography has the potential to transform a range of industries and this research brings that revolution one critical step closer."

It is not mass producible yet, but ........

Dr Zengyi Yue, who co-authored the paper with BIT's Gaolei Xue, said: "The next stage for this research will be developing a rigid thin film that could be laid onto an LCD screen to enable 3D holographic display. "This involves shrinking our nano-hologram's pixel size, making it at least 10 times smaller. "But beyond that, we are looking to create flexible and elastic thin films that could be used on a whole range of surfaces, opening up the horizons of holographic applications.

Link to full article - Science Daily: World's thinnest hologram paves path to new 3-D world

We will finally mean it when we say........
"Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope"

edit on 5/30/2017 by Krakatoa because: added link

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I can't watch the videos, I did read article, but this reminds me a lot of the cup on kick-starter dubbed "vessel", maybe different spelling. They basically claimed they were developing a mass spectrometer the size of a cup without any tech actually backing it up, all while taking peoples money for it.

What I am saying is that all these company's make the claims but where is the new tech, seems all smoke a mirrors to me.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Time sh-can my phone and buy another?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I get to see holodecks become real after all before I die, SWEET! I got at least fifty years left if I play my cards right.
This phone thing seems fun too. 3d and holograms and augmented reality, .. oh my!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

we need the new tech where they are making light solid. That's how a Holo-Deck would work.

www.iflscience.com...

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Posted last week - pretty cool

Scientists Create a Nano-Hologram Visible to the Naked Eye
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Perhaps Australia is at the forefront of this tech?

Here is another company from my city of Adelaide..

voxon.co...

edit on 31-5-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
There's got to be some sort of science fiction influencing research and engineers to undertake this type of project. It's more than likely the entertainment/social media industry exploit this technology, either way looking forward to how this all pans out.

new topics

top topics

join