It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satun and its hot polar vortex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Cnn: Scientists find a hot spot on saturn

The infrared images captured by the Keck I telescope at the W.M. Keck Observatory atop Mauna Kea on the Big Island suggest a warm polar vortex -- a large-scale weather pattern likened to a jet stream on Earth that occurs in the upper atmosphere. It's the first such hot vortex ever discovered in the solar system. The team of scientists say the images are the sharpest thermal views of Saturn ever taken from the ground. Their work will be a published in Friday's editions of the journal Science.

Saturn, which takes many earth years to orbit the sun, just had its summer solstice in 2002.

"If the increased southern temperatures are solely the result of seasonality, then the temperature should increase gradually with increasing latitude, but it doesn't," Orton said. "We see that the temperature increases abruptly by several degrees near 70 degrees south and again at 87 degrees south.

"A really hot thing within a couple degrees of the pole is something I don't understand at all," he said.

Scientists may learn more from the data coming from the infrared spectrometer on the Cassini spacecraft currently orbiting Saturn, information that is expected to complement the Keck discovery, Orton said.

Nice thing Cassini is still there and might be able to take some other measurements. THis is really interesting to me

E_T

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Nice thing Cassini is still there and might be able to take some other measurements.
I would expect Cassini to be there for half decade, just like Galileo.

Saturn radiates more heat than what it receives from sun so it has some internal energy source. Most propable explanation for that is heavier elements sinking slowly to core.
That might explain why hot area is at pole instead of equator like in case of those solar system's objects whose biggest "energy source" is sun's radiation.

new topics

join