It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

49 shot in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend — and that's a sign of progress

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Lets examine this more closely by looking at a success story in crime reduction versus Chicago's failure

LINK

An amazing stat about Chicago crime versus the real reductions in NYC

Looking at last years stats:

New York saw a 5.6 percent decline in murders this year through October — to 286, down from 303 — but the Windy City recorded 625 murders over the same time, despite having a population one-third the size of New York’s.

Chicago’s surging homicide toll for 2016 — which stood at 656 as of Monday — also marks the first time since 2003 that more than 600 people have been killed there in a single year, putting the city on track to record its most annual murders since 1997.

These are frightening numbers.

Here's the reason for the crime in Chicago and the success of NYC according to these experts

The fired ex Commissioner Gary McCarthy says in Chicago

“They’re not getting out of their cars and stopping people. That’s because of all the politics here,” said McCarthy, a former NYPD cop.
“In Chicago, performance is less important than politics. It’s called ‘The Chicago Way,’ and the results are horrific.”

In NYC, it’s different

“Most cities only place foot posts in business districts. We put our foot posts in the most violent areas of the city, as well as our business district,” the source said.

So this is one reason for the difference. In Chicago, there's politics--probably political correct elitist politicians, and they have less foot patrols while NYC has much more cops roaming the bad neighborhoods.

Other reasons for the stark difference:

“Something has come unglued in this very small number of neighborhoods,” he said. “The same kind of intense, armed conflict just hasn’t broken out here.”
Vitale pointed to structural differences between the cities.
“In New York, we have much smaller areas of really desperate poverty, and most of it’s tied to public housing,” Vitale said.
“In Chicago, you have whole swaths of the city that have basically been abandoned. There are no jobs, there’s no future, and that’s where the violence has been occurring,” he said.

A New York City law enforcement source blamed Chicago’s surging murder rate on the fact that only 8 percent of that city’s cops work as detectives, compared to 15 percent of the NYPD’s.

With fewer investigators, it’s harder to track down and bust killers, leaving them free to commit more mayhem, the source said.
Last year, Chicago cops solved 46 percent of open homicides, well below the national rate of 63 percent.
By comparison, New York’s clearance rate was nearly 68 percent, according to the NYPD.

So there we go, Chicago has problems with political interference and a bad managed police system that makes crime worst

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shakewell is your police force or city gov known for decades of corruption has your city had to deal with mafia since the 1930s these are some of the things chicago has had to deal with corruprion is so bad there that the former govenor tried to sell obamas senate seat after he became president luckily he was caught. the crooks there know they have little to fear police either to slow to catch them or on the take, lawabiding citizens they know ain't going to shoot back so they run with impunity . look at the communities immediately surrounding chicago i guarantee their annual funshot victims are less than 1/10th of the number in chicago hell they probably ain't 1/100th yet they allow citizens to carry firearms legally.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: xuenchen

Non the less they do the same damage legal or otherwise.

I get that Americans hold with the right to bear arms, but at some point you need to consider the damage that these weapons legal or otherwise inflict upon your population.

Fact is a significant percentage of the people who commit firearms offences are way to crazy to be allowed to carry such weaponry, legally or otherwise.

Edit: On reflection that's a lot of "legally or otherwise" statements from me. LoL

And i get that the majority of people will disagree with my assessment regarding the matter but the facts are self evident.

Just curious what is your argument against the point then that the country with the most legal guns per household (which I believe is Switzerland at nearly 100% of male HOH homes) has just a couple murders a year and often done by non Swiss people.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

My argument would be when the Swiss start killing one another in the numbers Americans do on the streets and in there towns and cities with firearms then it might be time to question there gun laws also.

Possibly also worth considering Switzerland has mandatory military service which instructs it's citizens on the proper use how to handle such weaponry appropriately, far as im aware the US operates no such national service in this day of age.
edit on 2-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Well i live in what was once the Murder capitol of Europe and people don't kill each other with guns in the numbers that they do regarding some areas of the USA.

Lets just say the city i hail from has its own fair share of problems associated with crime, gangs and violence, not to mention craziness in general.

edit on 2-6-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago and anytime my mom has the news on it's always revolving around bad things happening in Chicago. I'm 26 and have lived in northern Illinois my entire life and it's time for a change, this state really sucks.

The State of Chicago.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: moeron60
I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago and anytime my mom has the news on it's always revolving around bad things happening in Chicago. I'm 26 and have lived in northern Illinois my entire life and it's time for a change, this state really sucks.

The State of Chicago.

Hey.. I might be your neighbor! It's interesting that the local TV news no longer reports murders unless it's one that highly unusual...like the lady killed near Lincoln Park (white neighborhood) Tuesday.

Heard the Chicago police commissioner say today that the city has 3 fewer murders than this time last year, and progress is being made. The reporter reminded him that New York and Los Angeles are more populated than Chicago, but Chicago has more murders so far this year than both of those larger cities..COMBINED.

I drove through Chicago this morning on my way to Michigan...a frequent trip. Beautiful day and beautiful city from the highway.... until you get south of downtown.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Probably being a bit negative here, but this year has been on the cool side, w/ above average rain fall.
Let the summer kick in, chjcago will make a comeback!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join