It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like your religion so much?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

Are you enticed by these elements?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DiaJax

Are you enticed by these elements?

Alrighty, my post pretty much consisted of the following;
"'Religion'; the congregation of people hosting the same or similar 'beliefs'.
It's the 'herd', 'family', validation... "

I have no clue what you are talking about by being 'enticed', and by what 'elements'?

I find hydrogen and oxygen pretty enticing... I like to breathe.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   

didn't know if you were giving a definition or you actually like religion for those reasons. Thanks for the clarification

edit on 261717 by DiaJax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I always had faith and believe in GOD/Allah swt. I was born in a Sunni Muslim family but wasn't religious growing up because I didn't understand and or had much knowledge about Islam but was thought basic that made me believe in Allah. Islam become central focus in my life as I entered Junior year in University.
edit on 16-9-2017 by mahdi786 because: fixed

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DiaJax

I dig this question

Im not going to dwell on the semantics, because that would skirt the core conversation, in my opinion.

There are a lot of aspects about my religion that I adore.

The first is that it re-injects a sense of wonder and magic into things. I operate on the premise that things like synchronicity, or even the 11:11 stuff, point to our limitations rather than being some sort of specific, special signal. Meaning, instead of being something that rises above an otherwise mundane experience, they are glimpses into the concept that every moment and every event is synchronized. The goal in that isn't to embrace the small "pings" as particularly significant, but use them as a stepping stone into perceiving everything with that same significance.

In that same vein, magic (or magick) is present at all times. Just because we can move a glass of water with our hand as "normal," rather than something like telekinesis, doesn't make it boring, mundane, or any less special. Being able to manipulate our environment is only taken for granted because we are so adept at it. Our minds like to remove meaning from such things, whereas my beliefs take it in the opposite direction.

My system also always gives something to strive towards, even if it is solely perceptual. Rather than finding the first outlook that works well enough, and then becoming further and further embedded until death, reconstruction of the very foundation of perception is a core tenet. This is not limited to a shallow shift, like simply changing beliefs as new information is introduced, but the framework that contains belief itself.

One of the things I appreciate most is that instead of coming into conflict with other belief systems or religions, it provides insight and can even use others beliefs as a springboard to understand my religion more deeply, without ever having to convert or "buy into" others viewpoint. As I have learned, this can even cross the barrier of species, though obviously some disparities are simply insurmountable.

There is quite a bit more, but I think those are some of the highlights on why I hold my beliefs in such esteem. Some of the rituals, etc. aren't particularly suited to ATS discussion either.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I need no "go-between" to contact the Almighty.

Galatians 3:20, Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

20 Now a go-between (intermediary) has to do with and implies more than one party [there can be no mediator with just one person]. Yet God is [only] one Person...

1 Timothy 2:5 (NW)

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DiaJax
a reply to: madmac5150

So your saying that religion is a physical institution, the buildings, books, and people. Whereas faith is your personal conviction to what you believe.

did I get that right?

I never really thought of faith as a separate element outside of religion.

So I just glanced through gnostic. This Is very interesting, I have never heard of this before.

I'll have to read some more

You could start with 2 Timothy 4:3,4 and try not to be so drawn to teachings that tickle your ears (you can also have a look at my signature and the text under my accountname). Note that "belief" is also used as a synonym for "faith" in thesauri (dictionaries that list synonyms) and general speech.

Religion

Definition: A form of worship. It includes a system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices; these may be personal, or they may be advocated by an organization. Usually religion involves belief in God or in a number of gods; or it treats humans, objects, desires, or forces as objects of worship. Much religion is based on human study of nature; there is also revealed religion. There is true religion and false.

Why are there so many religions?

A recent tabulation concluded that there are 10 main religions and some 10,000 sects. Of these, some 6,000 exist in Africa, 1,200 in the United States, and hundreds in other lands.

Many factors have contributed to the development of new religious groups. Some have said that the various religions all represent different ways of presenting religious truth. But a comparison of their teachings and practices with the Bible indicates, rather, that the diversity of religions is because people have become followers of men instead of listening to God. It is noteworthy that, to a large extent, teachings they hold in common, but that differ from the Bible, originated in ancient Babylon. (See pages 50, 51, under the heading “Babylon the Great.”)

Who is the instigator of such religious confusion? The Bible identifies Satan the Devil as “the god of this system of things.” (2 Cor. 4:4) It warns us that “the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God.” (1 Cor. 10:20) How vitally important, then, to make sure that we really are worshiping the true God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and that our worship is pleasing to him!

Are all religions acceptable to God?

Source: Religion: Reasoning from the Scriptures

Winning the Battle for Your Mind

BEWARE OF ATTEMPTS TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER

...Satan uses similar tricks in his attempts to divide and conquer...

...Test your defenses against satanic propaganda. Ask yourself: ‘What governed my thinking the last time I faced such a situation? Was it the world’s spirit or God’s spirit?’—Gal. 5:16-26; Eph. 2:2, 3.

Coming back to 2 Timothy 4:3,4 and the concept of having your ears tickled for a moment, many people on ATS demonstrate Ferengi-like behaviour in this regards in their commentary and what threads or teachings they gravitate towards or are intrigued by:

For someone who is aware of what 2 Timothy 4:3,4 is talking about, it's very much 'in your face' when going through some of the commentary. Some people also demonstrate quite a love for having their ears tickled here on ATS and elsewhere (one of those signs of the world's spirit having its effect on people).

Who really rules this world?
edit on 17-9-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I like it for its truth, wisdom and knowledge.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Out6of9Balance because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join