It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers test Gen-Modded self-destructing moth pest in cabbage patch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here we go, is it Pandora's box or just another patented moth that will do exactly what the scientists think?

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- Researchers in a New York cabbage patch are planning the first release on American soil of insects genetically engineered to die before they can reproduce.

It's a pesticide-free attempt to control invasive diamondback moths, a voracious consumer of cabbage, broccoli and other cruciferous crops that's notorious for its ability to shrug off every new poison in the agricultural arsenal.

Oxitec's ( a British co.) patented moth is not going to lead to any problems once they let'em loose an experimental station a 160 sq miles west of Albany. I always wonder about the old unintended consequences.

In an environmental assessment, USDA scientists concluded that the proposed field studies are unlikely to have an impact on the environment, wildlife, plants or human health.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also determined there wouldn't be a significant environmental impact from a proposed release of Oxitec's gene-altered mosquitoes in Florida.
hosted.ap.org...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just what we need, they are going to release something that eats veggies but is supposed to die before reproducing. Lets see, I seem to remember ladybugs that bite being released and not being able to reproduce. Those pesty red lady bugs are still around, I never used to be afraid of lady bugs. These scientists are trying to make us fear nature so they can sell us something later to get rid of what they create.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
DARPA code name Mothra2.0

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

It's gonna be like a Jurassic Park of insects, or maybe Mothzilla.

edit on 29-5-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Potential military applications?

Exploding cabbage moths? Stuff a few of these bad boys in some eggrolls and serve them up to ole fatty kim.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Oh is that what the 3 battle groups are over there for, but moths in the salad?
edit on 29-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Maybe it will die before it breeds ?

Doesn't sound like that big of deal...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I'm sure they have all this under control and are at the ready with a can of raid if things go bad.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

As far as I can see there are no dates in the plan, and Oxitech doesn't have much of a record of success, though they do talk up a good story. We may be pleasently surprised by a trial, however.

Back in April, 2016 Oxitech were roundly slammed in a report on GM mosquito venture
gmwatch.org...

To quote....

"Intrexon owns the GM mosquito firm Oxitec. Intrexon shares rallied by around 100% in the past three months due to the hype around the company’s ability to use GM mosquitoes to combat the Zika virus. Zika is blamed for causing birth defects in babies born to mothers who were infected with the virus during pregnancy.

Is the hype justified? Not according to Spotlight’s report, which was published last Thursday, 21 April. The report says Oxitec’s GM mosquito technology “won’t work, is way too expensive, and is many years from generating even minuscule revenue from Zika virus despite adding $2 billion of market cap due to the hype”.

Intrexon shares fell nearly 30% on the day of the report’s publication."

Given this report I'm surprised to see, 4 months later, Oxitech named "Social Impact Investment of the Year by the UK Business Angels Association! Perhaps I"m not that surprised as the "Business Angels" would have put hard cash into Oxitech, abd tgey would want thier dosh back.

uk.advfn.com...

The cynic in me says hype up a trial to boost the share price, sell the shares at a high, "sell in May and go away" as they say at the Stock Exchange", and quietly let the trial fade from view.

Risky business this GM stuff.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Looks like if some corp can get it right, there is big $ to be made.

I would like to see the tests done in a serious quarantined area, like 100% netted or inside.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Researchers in a New York cabbage patch are planning the first release on American soil of insects genetically engineered to die before they can reproduce.

The Mediterranean fruit fly in California was eradicated by releasing droves of sterile males that shot blanks, the females eggs never hatched.

It wasn't genetic tom foolery, but still did the trick.

I'm glad they are trying alternatives to spraying...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Interesting they don't mention that the Diamondback moths largest destruction, Canola. They are murder on Canola fields, we used to have to get cropdusters in to spray for the moths if they showed up.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

I clicked the link.
Didn't get to read any of it.... pop ups ruined it.

I am going to guess that the genetically modified insects mate with normal insects and the results are no offspring or sterile offspring.
I remember a test program that the USDA did in the 1970's where they rwleased irradiated screwworm pupae that were sterile. The normal screwworms would mate with them and no offspring, which takes a number of wild screwworms out of the mating pool, since they only mate once. Screwworms were moving north from Mexico, and the US was trying to stop them, since they are a very bad pest to livestock.

edit on b000000312017-05-29T20:08:27-05:0008America/ChicagoMon, 29 May 2017 20:08:27 -0500800000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Good there is some evidence that the govt. and corps know what they are doing.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream bug-eyed as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh no, they say he's got to go go go Godzilla
Oh no, there goes Tokyo go go Godzilla

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

edit on 29-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Nature will always find a way. Didnt they watch Jurasic park, some species can change their sexual organs for example. If you only have males, some will convert to females so they can reproduce.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123
Not a good idea, the US has been there, done that, got some fires.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

insects genetically engineered to die before they can reproduce.

So they are all gonna die before they enter the gene pool?

I don't think they've thought this through very much.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
So where's all the animal rights people protesting the creation of an animal that will die prior to reproduction (which is the point of life)?

top topics

join