It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down syndrome woman blasts abortion genocide in UN speech, gets a standing ovation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

It did not take long for you to start with the name calling.

I am anti abortion for me.

If someone else wants to have an abortion, that is between them and God (if that applies).

Do you believe in a federal ban on abortion on the basis that it should be classified as murder?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Let's try not to get off course into the weeds with what if and I wishes.

Murder charges are not pending from anyone who got an abortion last week. Right?

No, but the woman in the video is crying genocide. That is a serious accusation.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

It is a constitutionally guaranteed right, and while I disagree with it, I except it. Because it is none of my business.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It is a constitutionally guaranteed right, and while I disagree with it, I except it. Because it is none of my business.

Would you support a politician that would challenge that Constitutionally guaranteed right?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Yes

edit:
This is not a main issue for me. If a person is pro abortion OK is a person is anti OK. I do not let this decide major decisions. It is none of my business.
edit on 29-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
* raises hand *

I have a brother with Down Syndrome.

Having seen what is in store for folks who get the entire deck completely stacked against them cognitively, physically & monetarily, there's no way in hell I would keep a DS fetus. My brother may be what happens when everything goes wrong in the minority, but it's not worth chancing it to me.

He's unable to care for himself in the basics on a daily basis. My dad & stepmom have to. My dad is in his 70's and has had major heart surgery himself.

My brother's medical expenses are through the roof. He's had more surgeries on a regular basis (and scheduled for more this year, too) than I can count. His heart is s#. His digestive tract is s#. He has problems keeping blood oxygen levels up. He's just shy of legal blindness. He's an epileptic. He has hypotonia. My brother is permanently stuck living life mentally as a medically screwed over, over-grown 3 year old -- he's 21.

I have no qualms openly saying I'd abort a baby with Down. I know how the game goes if your luck goes pear-shaped. Leave this up to the parent(s), it's a massive commitment that drains everything from you in more ways than one. Not everyone wants to commit to that, nor can.

edit on 5/29/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

How would you feel if you were in her shoes and had to live in a society that felt that she should never have been born?

To live every day of your life feeling that everyone around you looks at you as one of God's awful mistakes who has no right to even be breathing air and to feel that they are looking at your parents as though they should be ashamed for letting you walk the earth?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Yes

edit:
This is not a main issue for me. If a person is pro abortion OK is a person is anti OK. I do not let this decide major decisions. It is none of my business.

Well this is the main issue, because you have just confessed that you would (and probably already have) support/supported a politician who would seek to undermine the highest law of the United States, the Bill of Rights.

On that basis, you have earned the title of Zealot.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is her cross to bear, and it doesn't justify accusing people of committing genocide, when there is no solid evidence that a fetus even possesses a consciousness/soul in the first place.

And I know very few people who would look at her as "God's awful mistake".

edit on 29-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Ha, can you prove you have a soul?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Define soul. I can prove that I have a consciousness. This conversation is proof that both you and I possess consciousness's.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

No that is your argument.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

No that is your argument.

That's right, and its an argument that most jurors can identify with. That's the important part.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I will watch this video in a few hours' time.You know in the little town close to us,there is a mentally handicapped young woman.I have Never seen her without a big smile on her face,and just delighted at Everything her eyes see.I said to her mom the other day in P+P, that it is so good to see her because her joy of life just puts a smile on my own face and a happy cheerful feeling in the heart. She does not have DS but something else. THE happiest,just most constantly Delighted with life person I have seen in all my life.She is a treasure.Sometimes when I see her,I wonder if she is not better off than all of us normal IQ people.That girl just loves every minute of her life,which seems blissfully happy.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Considering most abortions are performed on healthy normal cells, I don't see how this makes much difference.

And if abortion is not the killing of a person who cares.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

You have to be careful with how you phrase that. The SCOTUS said that the States cannot prohibit a woman from seeking out a medical procedure that would save her life, but in the same ruling the same SCOTUS acknowledged that the States have a compelling interest in protecting the unborn children so they are still able to regulate the abortion procedure within their borders.

So it's too simple to say a woman has a constitutional right to an abortion. It's not in the Constitution nor is it a slam dunk unalienable right.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Considering most abortions are performed on healthy normal cells, I don't see how this makes much difference.

And if abortion is not the killing of a person who cares.

Since it is a person, a lot of people care.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Sorry for the miscommunication here.

This really interests me as I see myself using the same arguments as the pro-lifers in this situation. I am 100% pro-choice but found myself really challenged by the brutal situation your friend is in.

I can't not judge, but I can try and learn so my judgement is better.

Am I really the only one who is shocked by a mother planning what is essentially a murder suicide?
Or am I completely misunderstanding the situation?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Genocide is probably a poor word choice, but the point remains that pregnant women are offered testing for them to see if their baby has any of a certain number of birth defects including down's syndrome. When the test comes back they are informed of any positive results and queried whether or not they'd like to abort based on that fact. It is eugenics, pure and simple.

Further, this is not a legal argument the girl is making. It is a moral one. Therefore, there's no burden of proof. No one is going to jail based on her statements. It is a polemic in an attempt to move the political and legal argument in favor of her moral standpoint.

You disagree that it is murder and you have that right. You don't see that targeting abortions at a specific, defined, and discrete set of human beings is morally wrong. I disagree with you. The logical outcome of your argument is that people should be able to test for a variety of traits, eye color, etc.. If they aren't getting the designer baby they want, simply abort and try again. Nothing morally wrong there, right?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

The woman was making a moral argument in hopes of influencing political and legal change. That is out of line. Morality is a personal issue. Liberty is a civil issue. The two don't always share common ground, but when they do, liberty should dominate to maintain the highest possible level of objectivity within the justice system.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join