It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian MC-21 passenger jet has first flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Like China and Japan, the Russians are attempting to join in trying to compete with Boeing and airbus to build airliners. The Russians believe they an sell to other nations who might have smaller purses tan necessary to buy the other nations' jets. Additionally, I can see not their nationalism not making a play here and perhaps some concern if they get hit with very serious sanctions.

Anyways, first flight. 1000 meters up, 30 minutes long.

www.ruaviation.com...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

ok nice looking, but what is that thing in the red circle

edit on 29 5 2017 by Dr UAE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

Eventually the tail skid, right now it looks like a camera. There's a video of them getting ready and it shows it fairly close.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
More international competition in the civil aviation industry can only be a good thing.

It's a pretty nice looking plane I have to say.

Soviet/Russian aircraft go one way or the other, they either look amazingly good or like total dreck.
edit on -050001pm5kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

thanx, here is a full video take off and landing

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Not exactly the biggest plane, is it? It looks fairly modern, but where are the winglets?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

There are other ways to get the same effect without the added weight.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Interesting that they are going to also use the Pratt and Whitney turbofans as part of the offering.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Once you get past the problems they've had, the geared turbofan is the quietest and most efficient engine currently on the market. The only way that a Russian or Chinese aircraft has a shot at breaking into the Western market is to meet or surpass current fuel burn rates. They can't do that with a any Russian engine, and even if they could, the past trouble had with their engines would scare of quite a few potential customers.
edit on 5/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

ok nice looking, but what is that thing in the red circle

That is a male plane, they made these planes to self replicate, they lay eggs after fertilization.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Interesting that they are going to also use the Pratt and Whitney turbofans as part of the offering.

Well, shucks, you know how the Russkies like to copy our stuff. I figure the plans they got from Boeing insisted on those engines.

(am I joking?)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

(am I joking?)

I would wager you are not.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Once you get past the problems they've had, the geared turbofan is the quietest and most efficient engine currently on the market. The only way that a Russian or Chinese aircraft has a shot at breaking into the Western market is to meet or surpass current fuel burn rates. They can't do that with a any Russian engine, and even if they could, the past trouble had with their engines would scare of quite a few potential customers.

I totally get that, I just expected them to cut us out completely and possibly go with the Rolls Royce engines.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't think Rolls has an engine in the same class as the PW1400G. They have the engine used on the Boeing 717, but it's smaller and only offers 22,000 lbs thrust. The 1400G is rated between 24,000 and 33,000, depending on which model MC-21 it's going on.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I was could have sworn I read something where RR was working on a variable output unit that began in the 20,000+ range. I could be mistaken.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Can't be any worse than an A320. Some of the noises they make as they land are downright disheartening. A few of them I've been on make you say prayers as you touch down. As long as it's cheap and dependable it will sell some aircraft. I don't know if many western operators will go with that over a better name. I wonder how the sanctions will impact their ability to be competitive in foreign markets?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

They're going to have the same problems the SuperJet had, and Comac will also have. Boeing and Airbus have largely sewed up the market, and have a long history of reliability and good aircraft. Russia on the other hand, has a long history of not very good aircraft, whether it's right or not, and poor support to their customers. That's a lot to overcome.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Ques from Gulfstream with the nose..

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I wonder if it has a chance in Latin America or Southeast Asia. Doesn't a Mexican carrier operate the superjet 100?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

They have a few outside operators. Interjet operates 22, with 30 initially ordered. I believe they fly them out of Mexico City. CityJet has 6, with 16 ordered. There are a few used for government VIP aircraft as well.

top topics

join