It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany - and what you think you know about it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I would have to agree with you but I guess your point of views are as of today, back in the day when I lived their things were not way, some changes are great but other I guess we could live without.

I can remember seeing construction workers pulling a rack out and flipping the top and taking a few hits off of it and sliding it back under his seat and this was about 9 in the morning, But I do have to say I love the Germany construction, oh are you still paying taxes for every room in your home to include closets, or are the Germanys still doing without closets?

I agree with you that the US is not paying for you health insurance, which is ranked what number 7 in the world and its all non profit, unless you purchase extra coverage?

Yes the US does pay a % for new building constructions and rent, but they is part of the treat the 4 nations signed so that no one can claim Germany their own, but Russia did not follow suit. That is why the US pays rent to Germany. Very interesting topic if you know about it.

I love the culture but back in my day you could go out to a gus house and sit down and order a meal and everyone was, (don't get me started on the great food) (to Late) and it was all the older folks that enjoyed sitting and talking with an American, but most of the younger Generation did snub their noises at us, especially the men.

Owning weapons, during my time Germans could only own shot guns, and if you wanted to go out hunting you had to have a Jagdaufseher with you and he would point out what deer you could shot. Some of this must of changed, do Germans still have to server 2-3 years in the military and are the benefits still the same, college or house ect?

Do you still have the Sunday walks, forget the name, but seen some great walking sticks.

The autobahn, during my day their was no speed limit, but I never went over 120 kph always kept it around 95-100,

Seen some towns that I would like to see again, some I can't remember their names but one was translated into little Berlin, also loved Weiden and Regensburg, a lot of history their, what ever happened to Check point Charlie?.

I loved rafting and Canoeing, down the Danube river, in fact their is a boom box somewhere at the bottom, and yes nudity was all along the river on sunny days, I sure missed that.

But with all the changes I don't know if it would be the same anymore from what I have read, but the most disturbing is that the European Union plan is almost the exact same plan as Hjalmar Schacht, what's your thoughts on that?

Overall I enjoyed my time in Germany thanks for the reminder.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I visited Germany the summer of 1968 Went to the Berlin wall and everything.
What I know..it's pretty, it's kind of quaint. And in July it's still cold.
That's it.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
One thing from Germany that always makes chuckle is Kraftverk performing a song called Tour De France. I have always wondered if they did it deliberately.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I´m quoting you partly so I don´t loose the line on this one
If I forget something, give me a headsup please.

originally posted by: 19KTankCommander

I can remember seeing construction workers pulling a rack out and flipping the top and taking a few hits off of it and sliding it back under his seat and this was about 9 in the morning

Of course I can´t speak for everyone but the saying is true. On the other hand, there are still companies like forging or steel milling where you can get your beer from a vending machine and it´s okay to drink during work.

But I do have to say I love the Germany construction, oh are you still paying taxes for every room in your home to include closets, or are the Germanys still doing without closets?

Never heard of that tax??

I agree with you that the US is not paying for you health insurance, which is ranked what number 7 in the world and its all non profit, unless you purchase extra coverage?

It´s definitly profit based. You can have public or private insurance. Private covers more but you have to pay it yourself except for the part that your employee provides.

Yes the US does pay a % for new building constructions and rent, but they is part of the treat the 4 nations signed so that no one can claim Germany their own, but Russia did not follow suit. That is why the US pays rent to Germany. Very interesting topic if you know about it.

I´m aware, good that you point it out. However, even if they pay a small percentage of their own stuff, the rest is still paid by us and it benefits us zero in terms of economics. We pay the big part of the costs for the US bases that are built here, not the USA. If you ask for my opinion I´d say, if the USA want´s a base in another country, they should come up for most of the costs, not the other way around.

I love the culture but back in my day you could go out to a gus house and sit down and order a meal and everyone was, (don't get me started on the great food) (to Late) and it was all the older folks that enjoyed sitting and talking with an American, but most of the younger Generation did snub their noises at us, especially the men.

My impression is that young germans do not have the "best picture" about americans but this is the other side of the coin. Same issue here, false picture through the media.

Owning weapons, during my time Germans could only own shot guns, and if you wanted to go out hunting you had to have a Jagdaufseher with you and he would point out what deer you could shot.

It´s because you can´t just go out there and kill an animal of your liking. Hunters in Germany are responsible for keeping the animals healthy and they do not take them out for food alone but to maintain a healthy balance between the forest and the animals.

You have to know that in and after WW2, many trees were cut and now we have many monoculture forests. If you get to much deer, the forest will suffer because they eat the small buds and stems away that are desperatly needed to regain a healthy forest.

Some of this must of changed, do Germans still have to server 2-3 years in the military and are the benefits still the same, college or house ect?

The last years it was like 9 months basic training and then you could decide if you enlist for 10 years or more. You got money, not free houses or college. What you get when you join our Bundeswehr is free car- and truck licenses and of course a apprenticeship for free with payment. It´s all voluntary now, you do not have to join Basic training. You also could opt out when you could proof it´s against your will to aim a weapon on a human being. Then you´d have to do 1 year civil duty. Meaning you drive ambulances or help out elderly people.

Do you still have the Sunday walks, forget the name, but seen some great walking sticks.

Yes, in more rural and religious regions you have something called Walfahrt. That means you pilgrim to special places, pray there and reconnect with nature.

The autobahn, during my day their was no speed limit, but I never went over 120 kph always kept it around 95-100,

There were always speed limits, chances are you were only on those autobahns (there is not only one) that had none.

Seen some towns that I would like to see again, some I can't remember their names but one was translated into little Berlin, also loved Weiden and Regensburg, a lot of history their, what ever happened to Check point Charlie?.

Regensburg is not far from me (1.5 hour drive), it´s very beautiful. Check point charly was decomissioned in the early 1990s but you can still see some parts in a museum.

I loved rafting and Canoeing, down the Danube river, in fact their is a boom box somewhere at the bottom, and yes nudity was all along the river on sunny days, I sure missed that.

There are many water dams now, canoeing got somehow dangerous :-/

But with all the changes I don't know if it would be the same anymore from what I have read, but the most disturbing is that the European Union plan is almost the exact same plan as Hjalmar Schacht, what's your thoughts on that?

I have to read up on him, I´m not completly familiar with his thoughts and plans to be honest. If I don´t come back to you in a few days, feel free to remind me via U2U or post.

May I ask you what timeframe you visited Germany?
edit on 29-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
One thing from Germany that always makes chuckle is Kraftverk performing a song called Tour De France. I have always wondered if they did it deliberately.

The only way the song could be worse is if they played that crap on the Trans-Euro Express.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Ran out of space here somehow.

I have to read up on him, I´m not completly familiar with his thoughts and plans to be honest. If I don´t come back to you in a few days, feel free to remind me via U2U or post.

May I ask you what timeframe you visited Germany?
edit on 29-5-2017 by verschickter because: edit: was a formatting error, all good now.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The fried snickers/Mars bar violates several UN treaties and should be banned. It was clearly an attempt by the devilish Scots to turn the world obese and diabetic and do what William Wallace could not.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: 19KTankCommander

MOVE IT! MOVE TO YOUR RIGHT, YOU %§$§$ SNAIL!

*flashlight flashing*
*flashflashflash*

Na, I'm over that. 120 is enough for me

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I once saw a documentation about the english food and they tried to corelate it to the bad weather. Good food cancels out the bad weather or something along that line.

What are your thoughts on this? Is the food a compensation for the weather somehow?

But I´m AFK for two or three hours now.
edit on 29-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

He's a breath of fresh air compared to that miserable prick Arsène Wenger...

The Professor had a very big smile on his face on Saturday though.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Based on current trends, do you think Germany will cease to exist in the future?

A lot of people say in the future an Islamic Caliphate will form thanks to the idiocy of Angela Merkel.

What do you think is the solution to the rising tide of Radical Islam?
edit on 5/29/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Most of the ancestral German people I know are a little dominating, they are good people but won't take any crap from anyone. They seem to exhibit a harsh personality but actually are good friends once you get to know them.

Just don't piss them off and make sure you don't argue with them because they are headstrong. I have half a dozen friends that are pretty much German and some of my cousins are half German. We used to call their Dad the Colonal.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

I think I know that Sven Vath is one hell of cool dude and if he's an average German you are a lucky bunch.
I also think I know that I've bought a ton of imported vinyl from Germany that always went down a storm with any crowd when I used to play out.
I also think I know I wished I'd been to the club Tresor but I've never been much of a traveller so that's my loss.

I once saw Sven Vath play in the UK. Awesome DJ, great night.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Is there a Muslim immigration problem? The MSM make it sound catastrophic.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I spent a few months in Germany back in the late 1980's. I met many good people and had a really good time. I found Germany to be possibly my favorite country in Europe. At least in the way that the people there behaved and were friendly.

As far as social ills, you guys better watch out with this refuge thing. It will only get uglier.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Great thread!!!

You forgot to mention that we all mow our lawn and wash our cars especially on saturdays, most in the morning!
More then ever if the neighbour did it before you could do it! There is no excuse, if your neighbour did it, you have to do it too, otherwise.... xD

Ah, if we see a line, we will wait in that line. Line is called "waiting snake", Warteschlange, Schlange. We say: If germans see a Schlange, we just queue behind it.

And we are that dumb that we pay and would pay for anything. I once saw a "test" on tv, years ago. They put a cashpoint on a bridge, put someone wearing an official looking uniform into that cashpoint, and he suddenly took money from people that wanted to cross the bridge, like they did before for years, surely for free. Guess what happened. Nobody protested, all took their wallet out and wanted to pay. We do not question anyything, less than ever if it is an order from an uniform wearing and official looking person.

And something else, Verschickter, i am still collecting everything about the Anis Amri case and will do a thread. But i had and have many problems, because of the german health system(Krankenhauskeime), have a fixateur at my leg, since more than three months, can´t sit long enough. Every three weeks i have to go to the hospital, full of that clinic germs, to take samples from my bone, if the infect is over or not, so that they can fix my broken leg. My complete life is in pause mode right now.

But to Amri, today a police officer was arrested, offices searched, because of that Amri case. Again, "our" officials, "our protectors" destroyed and manipulated evidence, that hints to a secret service operation!

edit on 29 5 2017 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Based on current trends, do you think Germany will cease to exist in the future?

No but I think in 20 years there will be more cultural change than we´ve seen in the last century all together (excluding the WW)

A lot of people say in the future an Islamic Caliphate will form thanks to the idiocy of Angela Merkel.
What do you think is the solution to the rising tide of Radical Islam?

Let me quote and translate an article from our public institution that handles cultural TV&Radio programs.

"Michael ist acht Jahre alt und an seiner Schule ein Außenseiter. Im Berliner Problemstadtteil Neukölln gehört er als Deutscher zu einer Minderheit. 96 Prozent der Schüler haben einen Migrationshintergrund. Auf dem Pausenhof wurde er schon verprügelt und als Christ beschimpft. Johnny, der 15-Jährige, würde am liebsten wegziehen, und die 9-jährige Celina erzählt, dass ihre Eltern ihr geraten haben, Arabisch zu lernen, damit sie sich wehren kann.

My translation:

"Michael is 8 years old and an outcast at his school. Living in the Berlins troublesome sub-city "new cologne", as a German, he´s a minority. 96 procent of the pupils there do have a background in imigration. During breaks, he got beaten up and accused being a Christian. Johnna, the 15 year old would be lucky to move away and the 9 year old Celina told us, her parents gave her advice to learn arabic, so at least she can defend herself.

In my opinion, first thing to do is to build camps for those without identity at the borders. They stay there until they can proof where they come from. Almost everyone has a mobile phone, no problem here.
The second thing would be to stop giving out money. The refugee center already provides shelter, clothes, food and entertainment. The third thing would be -hold fast- would be to cancel refugee vacations into the countries they fled. Don´t believe this?
www.welt.de...
Sorry for the German source but google translate should help, I can´t translate everything myself :-/

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Haha, don't be fooled, it was just wind.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Haha, don't be fooled, it was just wind.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
sounds familiar ;-D

a reply to: Justso
In my opinion, definitly.

a reply to: Fools
See my post towards starwarsisreal, I included it there.

You all have to know, I´ve spent much time in Egypt and I had, what I thought, were good friends there. Only one out of like 6 people there that I would remotely consider a friend, had the balls to say it like it really is with Islam and Women. Back in 2015 I was "defending" some things from the muslim culture based on false informations. I´m still deeply ashamed because of that. Not because I defended muslims, I defended them because I thought I know the deal and was lied to for years. Deeple ashamed I can tell you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join